Big Buck Turnover

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Clevinger

Big Buck Turnover

Unread postby Clevinger » Sun Aug 04, 2013 3:34 am

We got a 12 pointer off our land last year. It has--in my opinion--the best buck bedding areas in the area.

After returning from yarding up, will other big buck return to replace a bigger buck like that? Or does it take longer?

RUTIN
Facebook: Zach Taylor

Re: Big Buck Turnover

Unread postby RUTIN » Sun Aug 04, 2013 3:42 am

Usually if its a good bed site another buck will take it over, may or may not be of the same caliber but there's a good chance there's a deer using that bed again.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sun Aug 04, 2013 4:40 am

RUTIN wrote:Usually if its a good bed site another buck will take it over, may or may not be of the same caliber but there's a good chance there's a deer using that bed again.

X2...
There is probably already multiple bucks using that bedding area. Some of my best primary bedding areas have every big buck in the area using them. The dominant buck gets the spot for the day... I believe thats a big reason why we have satellite buck bedding. They either came there to bed and found the king already bedding there, or got kicked out of the bed when he arrived...

The last big buck I shot in the public marsh, I saw another big buck get out of the exact same bed within a few days of shooting the 1st one...
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Sun Aug 04, 2013 5:17 am

I think it is often misunderstood about how everything works. If you shoot a 5.5 year old buck he is replaced by a younger buck 3.5 or 4.5. If you shoot a 1.5 year old buck he is replaced with a button buck and can't turn into an older buck. The bucks that use the beds are replaced by other bucks in the echelon chain. Some think if you kill the older bucks you have shot yourself in the foot for seeing older bucks. That is just not the case.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Clevinger

Unread postby Clevinger » Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:50 pm

We spotted an 8 pointer out there last night.

Hopefully get something bigger again when the season arrives.
Mike

Unread postby Mike » Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:28 am

Year to year for sure we get new big bucks (or younger bucks that become dominant) move in to the same general areas since we have started killing most of our resident big bucks each years. Trail cams and sightings show that the best habitat will draw them to the same areas consistently.

In season we draw as well, especially if we kill one earlier. Lots of does and scent marking draw them in for rut and good food draws probably the most bucks of all during late season.

I believe a mature buck wants to be on our property, whoever is there is staking the area somewhat. When he gets killed, either the next in line that lives there or a buck who lives in poorer habitat but maybe hits our food source from time to time figures it out and takes over (cuz there is nobody bigger to kick them out anymore).
gjs4
500 Club

Unread postby gjs4 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:14 am

My take is slightly different though similar. :think:

Mature deer tend to seek the same things in terms of security so if all other variables are the same the next in line of the caste/ranking should move in to that or a similar area.

If mature deer are fewer in numbers another buck will gravitate to the area for its values and then may mature there (if the surroundings offer the same food, social and defense factors) to maturity....

A great bed is that because they cant be surprised their easily...i feel that those scrubby fighters that run more mature/larger bucks off can derail the best bedding factor though as territorial boundaries are more inclusive of prime real estate

Just my thinking though
Green and growing... Or red and rotting
stikbow26

Unread postby stikbow26 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:22 am

I have had other big bucks use the same bed from a big buck i have shot earlier. I agree with the others i think big bucks think alike.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”