Hows my gameplan?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

admiral04

Hows my gameplan?

Unread postby admiral04 » Sun Aug 04, 2013 12:32 am

Recently I was headed to town in the evening and spotted a slob (for my area) feeding out in A field on property that i cant hunt. The thought of sticking him was eating at me so I decided to check out a topo of the area and check for where i may think he was bedding. Luckily, my guess at his bedding is on property I can hunt. I went and put boots on the ground there and the point I thought he may be bedding was loaded with sign. A heavy trail along the east side of the point dropping down into the valley, tons of beds which i assume were of buck and doe both and some large tracks as well. Theres is about an acre of very thick cover on that point just to the south of the field. The area to the south of the pink line is area i cannot hunt and also where i saw him. Red=buck sighting, yellow= where i saw all the bedding, blue= access route and my thoughts on stand placement, green= where i expected to find beds. My thoughts were to hunt it on a north, nw or west wind. Most likely an evening. Looking for tips, ideas thoughts. Tell me if I'm way iff ir if you think theres a better area he could e bedding. Thnx Image Image Image

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

PK_
500 Club

Re: Hows my gameplan?

Unread postby PK_ » Sun Aug 04, 2013 3:27 am

NW wind buck may be overlooking that entry, perhaps enter from opposite?

Other than that sounds great. Good luck.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
admiral04

Unread postby admiral04 » Sun Aug 04, 2013 4:31 am

PalmettoKid wrote:NW wind buck may be overlooking that entry, perhaps enter from opposite?

im not sure he will be able to see me but i am sort of conserned about thermals. If i wait until evening the thermals should be dropping and working in my favor right?

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sun Aug 04, 2013 4:45 am

admiral04 wrote:
PalmettoKid wrote:NW wind buck may be overlooking that entry, perhaps enter from opposite?

im not sure he will be able to see me but i am sort of conserned about thermals. If i wait until evening the thermals should be dropping and working in my favor right?

You should be ok if you hug the southern most border. Thermal switch should occur before the buck reaches your hunting spot.
Timmy

Unread postby Timmy » Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:57 am

Thermal switch wouldn't happen until sunset though, wouldn't it? Or does it happen before that?
Jay

Unread postby Jay » Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:11 am

Good plan. hope you can get in there without being seen. I would definitely wait for some rain.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:24 am

Timmy wrote:Thermal switch wouldn't happen until sunset though, wouldn't it? Or does it happen before that?

it happens when the sun is no longer shining on that side of the hill... If that is sunset, in Wisconsin we still have 20 minutes or so of legal hunting. Not sure about PA

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”