Fixed or Mechanical ( POLL )

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Fixed or Mechanical

Fixed
62%
Mechanical
38%

Total votes: 106
dreaming bucks

Fixed or Mechanical ( POLL )

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:00 am

Rather than get into all the different brands out there, I'm just curious as to what most of us here at the Beast use. Are you a Fixed or a Mechanical guy ?

For the first time, I'm kind of thinking about going to a mechanical. I just don't get very good blood trails with the fixed blade Wack Em I have been using. They fly great, but I just don't get a lot of blood with them..... I know there is pro's and con's to both, so maybe I will just stay with what I got....

Bucky

Re: Fixed or Mechanical ( POLL )

Unread postby Bucky » Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:10 am

If you go mechanical just make sure you are pushing plenty of KE (60 ft/lbs) with a decent weight arrow. I heart shot a doe once with a Rage and she made one bound and tipped over in less than 10 yards from impact! I'm not gonna argue one way or the other as I have used both with success... but I like mechanicals :mrgreen:
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
MOBIGBUCKS

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:08 am

I voted Mechanical.

I tune my bows to shoot fixed blades so the arrow is flying as straight as possible with my mechanicals. I'm a fan of mechanicals because of their great flight in a crosswind. Just my .02
NBK438

Unread postby NBK438 » Sat Aug 03, 2013 9:01 am

Fixed. Your modern short ferrel broad head combined with a quality arrow is hard to beat. I spin tune my arrows and if any of the broad heads have a wobble at the tip I hit the insert with the g5 ASD. That usually trues the arrow right up. Another thing I have really noticed makes a difference is shooting a vane with a higher profile than your head. I shoot a maxima tipped with a slick trick magnum with 3 blazer vanes at a 3 degree offset with a wrap.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Sat Aug 03, 2013 10:59 am

Rage mechanical since 2007. No issues..

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Aug 03, 2013 11:30 am

Been shooting Muzzy since the early 90's except for a two season experiment with mechanicals.(NAP Spitfires) Ended up losing two deer due to very poor penetration and decided mechanicals were not for me.

Never lost a deer shooting Muzzy so figured why mess with what is proven to work.

RUTIN
Facebook: Zach Taylor

Unread postby RUTIN » Sat Aug 03, 2013 11:46 am

Slick Tricks...... simple as that
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Sat Aug 03, 2013 12:19 pm

There is no selection for both so IDK...

I shoot Muzzy 4 blades mostly. I shot a buck with an NAP Killzone last year for first time and it unzipped him. But in the thick areas I generally hunt I prefer fixed blade.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
UntouchableNess
500 Club

Unread postby UntouchableNess » Sat Aug 03, 2013 12:44 pm

I usually have both in my quiver.

I started using mechanicals but have moved more towards fixed recently.
GRUD
500 Club

Unread postby GRUD » Sat Aug 03, 2013 1:15 pm

I mainly shoot fixed blade of various kinds. At 235fps I can shoot about any fixed blade and it flies perfect. From my expermentation at about 270fps is where air resistance begins to plane a fixed blade. My crossbow will not shoot a fixed blade well but mechanicals fly perfect. My preference is a cutting nose fixed blade. If you are not getting good blood trails, sometimes that just happens because of shot angle or placement. I have had great blood and no blood on good hits. It seems to me since I have been hunting lower, I have better blood trails. I used to hunt real high and the steep angle would cause guts or belly fat to close the hole.

Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Sat Aug 03, 2013 1:56 pm

Old school. :mrgreen:
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
steve22

Unread postby steve22 » Sat Aug 03, 2013 2:03 pm

I shot a doe with a fixed broadhead muzzy 100 grain and she took one step and died, it all depends on shot placement if u hit a deer in the heart or lungs with either one it's going to kill the animal

keb
500 Club

Unread postby keb » Sat Aug 03, 2013 2:14 pm

Fixed no need to take unessicary chances.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
Jay

Unread postby Jay » Sat Aug 03, 2013 3:02 pm

G5's
jonsimoneau
500 Club

Unread postby jonsimoneau » Sat Aug 03, 2013 3:34 pm

Fixed all the way. I don't mean to offend anyone but I have never seen a valid reason to use a mechanical head unless you don't know how to tune arrows correctly. Trust me. If you put a 160 grain Snuffer or a 165 grain Simmons through the lungs you WILL get a good blood trail. If those heads do not fly well for you, it is nothing more than the fact that you have not tuned them correctly. Speed has nothing to do with arrow flight. Again. Not to offend anyone but mech. Heads were designed by people FOR people who don't know how to tune, or simply don't wanna learn how. In bowhunting simpler is sometimes better. Now. My argument against mech. Heads is that they are the first thing that will contact the animal when you shoot them and the fact that they are mechanical means that eventually they WILL fail. Shot placement doesnt mean much if the blades do not open. There is a reason most places in Africa will not allow you to use them. The simple reason is other than the ease of "tunning" they offer no advantage to neither the hunter or the hunted. Having said all of that. I will say that they have improved over the years. But all the improvements are just something that the manufacturers have told us we need. The fact of the matter is that a good fixed blade head NEVER fails to open up. Once is too many times in my opinion. Again. Nothing against anyone who uses them but my question is why? Only my opinion. Please do not be offended if ya can't swallow it.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”