Hip Boots for the Marsh

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

rutnbuck

Hip Boots for the Marsh

Unread postby rutnbuck » Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:01 am

Looking for a pair of hunting hip boots. What are some of the ones you are using. Rubber, neoprene, gore tex, insulated, non-insulated? When you get into your stands back in the marsh are you changing into regular boots? I'm thinking of getting some rubber hips and throwing a pair of wool pants over the top (silencing). What are some of the pro's and con's with what your using. Throw them out on the table, I'll be listening.

matt1336
500 Club

Re: Hip Boots for the Marsh

Unread postby matt1336 » Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:36 am

THe thing with hip boots is that they make you sweat. Personally, I take my heater body suit with me so I don't get cold.
I use rubber hip boots from cabelas. Like anything, you get what you pay for. I paid about $100 for them and they're the best I've owned.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
NBK438

Unread postby NBK438 » Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:31 am

How do you store your hips, matt1336? I just bought the cabelas hips.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
365buckin

Unread postby 365buckin » Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:40 pm

If you go with a cheap pair make sure they have a knee harness. The knee harness tightens up the hip boots to your leg and gives you extra contact with the waders. This will help a lot when you step in knee deep muck. The suction will be really tight on your waders but the harness will help you get your foot out with less pulling on your top belt straps. Plus the tighter the rubber is to your legs the less slapping and flopping sounds they will make.
Be in the woods as often as you can....and as long as you can!
May-39

Unread postby May-39 » Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:33 pm

Pro Line hip boots, Model 711 and add a thinsulate insole
I'm talking scouting tuff,, took years to wear out first pair,,I bought some hodgmans on sale this year,,the boot is nice but I know it's a matter of time before I gash these things.
Something about those pro lines I swear they weave them with kevlar or something...no wonder why they are standard trapper attire.

It's pretty rare I hunt outta hip boots,,I almost always change socks, and/or footwear a few hundered yards from stand..either I sweat them up walking in early season or need to change from water runners to the icemans later on.
Amazing difference in comfort and warmth with dry feet.socks.boots
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:32 pm

I hunt marshes pretty much 90% of the season and wear hip boots just about every day until ice up. The ones I have been using are Cabela's with rubber bottom and neoprene uppers. They can be kinda warm early in the season so once in stand I fold them down below my knees. This is where the neoprene is really nice. On colder days I keep them up and the uppers are a great place to slide your hands in to keep them toasty warm.

These are the hip boots I wear. http://www.cabelas.com/product/Footwear ... t104108580

They have been holding up extremely well for 5 seasons now and wouldn't hesitate buying another pair if needed.
[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”