Target panic???

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

muddy

Re: Target panic???

Unread postby muddy » Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:55 pm

I shoot almost every day but never more than a couple dozen shots from 20 to 40 yards. If I have a bad night I just take a day or two off and come back and start at 10 and work back out to 30 or 40. Keep it simple

[ Post made via Android ] Image

http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:20 pm

PalmettoKid wrote:
NBK438 wrote:Over thinking it. If I'm shooting good and then all of a sudden my arrows start straying off..I hang it up for that night. Next time you shoot just shoot like nothing happened.

Best advice.

I only shoot 1 arrow per day now, or sometimes 1 in the morning and 1 in the evening. There are no do-overs. You make a bad shot you have to live with it all day or sleep with it all night.

My shooting has greatly improved as well as my confidence when it is game time...

Same thing I do. Once your form and technique are down you don't need many shots to stay sharp. Since I started shooting less arrows my target panic completely went away. The worst thing you can do is fight it by flinging a 100 arrows trying to get better.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
oneflag

Unread postby oneflag » Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:45 am

Chris Conroy wrote:I had a really bad case of target panic years ago. I shot in a league and was a decent shooter, usually getting scores in the 290's out of 300. I joined a video archery league as soon as the paper one ended. By the time that league ended I couldn't hit inside the circles at all, I couldn't even aim at paper. I would draw above or below the target and try to center the sight, but it was literally like there was a force field around that target and I couldn't make the bow stop on the bull. I started squeezing the release as the sight passed the target. I bought a new release, bow, arrows, sights, just about everything. I actually felt panic while aiming. Without an arrow or a target, I could hold all day. Point at a paper target and I can't lift the bow. I gave up on paper and only shoot 3d or something I place on the bale. I can kill every paper plate dead center. Targets...forget about it.

Exactly my story, it’s tough when you love archery and want to be the best you can be. Then your brain just won’t let it happen. When I was a kid I would draw my bow in the house with no arrow and practice holding the pin on something. I freaked out one time and dry fired my bow, man my dad was mad! Most people don’t understand. There is so much more info out there now than 20 years ago. I was pleasantly surprised when I googled target panic. Ted Nugent even talks about it.
Schultzy
500 Club

Unread postby Schultzy » Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:14 am

Brad wrote:I wouldn't call that target panic but it is something that does come up. Target panic is when you are trying to settle the pin and you freeze up, usually below the target but sometimes above or to the side. You will recognize it when it happens, you will be trying to aim and your mind will be screaming NOW! or SHOOT!! and you either start punching the trigger or you can not raise or lower or move the pin no matter how hard you try. It is a bear to get rid of too, I am finally improving and coming out of it but this has been going on for over 6 years now.
Agree. I don't think Its target panic either. I too have had It when I shot compound. I still get It every now and then while shooting my recurve. Like Brad said you will know when you get It If you start experiencing everything he listed In his post here. Great post Brad.

Just a heads up for you, If In anyway you think your getting target panic fix It right away. It's one of the hardest things I've ever done trying to fix It being I let It get too far. It can be down right miserable. That's no joke.
Knute78
500 Club

Unread postby Knute78 » Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:10 am

Thanks for all the advice guys. I am going to give it a couple days and get back to it and try not to analyze every shot to death. After reading the replays I don't think it is truly target panic but over thinking my form etc... I need to get back to it as I have a trip scheduled for the end of the month for archery opener in ND.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Genesis 27:3

"Now then, please take your gear, your quiver and your bow, and go out to the field and hunt game for me;"

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”