Any Acorns this year?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

dreaming bucks

Any Acorns this year?

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:53 am

I admit, I keep forgetting to look up and see if there is any acorns in the oaks this year. Have any of you checked it out yet? Last year they dropped real early around my neck of the woods, with the drought and all. Hopefully this year is more of a normal drop.

metropig

Re: Any Acorns this year?

Unread postby metropig » Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:04 am

I was just wondering the same thing. I was also wondering if the drought effects the acorn crop for more than one year. Last years drought was bad in MO. We are having a drought again this year but I don't think it is as bad as it was last year.
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:34 am

we are very lush around here. I am anticipating a good acorn crop as the cherries, apples, black berries, etc, have been pretty strong. Interesting question about a drought affecting two years, I am curious too on that. We were pretty dry here last year.
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
Southern Man
500 Club

Unread postby Southern Man » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:54 am

They say a drought can affect a tree for up to 5 years after. We're havin a good year here too. The trees I've seen are loaded.
You Can't Argue With A Sick Mind
exojam

Unread postby exojam » Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:49 am

I will now have to go and check the oaks in the back yard to see.
Chris Conroy
500 Club

Unread postby Chris Conroy » Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:54 am

Plenty of acorns on the trees here in SE Wisconsin. I'm looking at one right now.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
vanceg

Unread postby vanceg » Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:58 am

Loaded in North East Michigan again this year.
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:04 pm

Here in NE Tennessee we are loaded!

I was in SE Ohio this pass weekend. Everything bearing fruits or nuts were hanging full.

We found several white oaks that are dropping immature acorns already. The trees were hanging with acorns. The small acorns that were hitting the ground were a little bigger than peas and the deer were already feeding on them.

I cut a few open and the acorn itself was small, but actually developed and were good (I didn't try them myself, although I have in the pass ) :lol:
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:11 pm

loaded here in midmichigan... even with no wind immature red oak corns are bouncing off my metal pole barn roof... it won't be long before it sounds like machine gun fire on my deck and pole barn roof. I'll have to record it some time, it is something else- way beyond a hail storm sometimes. My yard is loaded with mature white and red oaks, and they fall in my yard sometimes by the countless thousands.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:32 am

Much better than last year.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:45 am

Last year the acorn crop was spotty, which was good. That really concentrated the deer when I found acorns. This year it looks like there will be acorns just about everywhere which is bad for my bow hunting IMO....every good acorn crop year I see less movement early season. Deer don't need to move more than a few yards in any direction for food through most of October.
Southern Man
500 Club

Unread postby Southern Man » Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:05 am

JoeRE wrote:Last year the acorn crop was spotty, which was good. That really concentrated the deer when I found acorns. This year it looks like there will be acorns just about everywhere which is bad for my bow hunting IMO....every good acorn crop year I see less movement early season. Deer don't need to move more than a few yards in any direction for food through most of October.

I can dig it. A few years back a chunk of public land here estimated the acorn crop at 400lbs per acre. That's a bunch of nuts! That was a good year and they are predominately White oak, red oak, and sawtooth oak, with a few post oak thrown in. You couldn't walk without steppin on acorns. Deer don't have to move to feed in areas like that. Although, they do seem to have their favorite trees regardless how many are on the ground.
You Can't Argue With A Sick Mind
BuckyHunter13

Unread postby BuckyHunter13 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:13 am

They've started showing up in Central Wisconsin. I always wonder if a drought the previous year might lead to a mast year as a survival response by the trees... Or perhaps it's an instance of how the weather cycle and mast years align. Apparently these bumper crops occur roughly every 3-4 years. Maybe they are driven by weather cycles related to el nino and la nina... A lot of things in nature are cyclical but difficult for a single person to notice - like seeing the forest through the trees.

Anyhow, I wouldn't be surprised to see a bumper crop this year with the steady rainfall and forecasted moderate temperatures for the next few weeks (and presumably/hopefully the rest of summer).

http://www.seacoastonline.com/articles/ ... FE-9290317
john1984

Unread postby john1984 » Mon Nov 14, 2016 8:43 am

No. This is the worst acorn year I've ever noticed. I have done very little squirrel hunting as a result of this.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”