Whats your take on this?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

admiral04

Whats your take on this?

Unread postby admiral04 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:13 pm

I went and checked out a swamp ive been trying to figure out this summer and i came across an area that looked like a bed, however this was like a 10 ft area. Huge but was at a spot i would expect to see a bed and was matted down dead grass in the middle of cattails and thicket. There was 5 different paths comin too and from the area but werent completely beat down and there was no tree/rock or anything as a back cover. Didnt look too closely for hair but found no droppings. Was too dry to see tracks. Never heard of a bed this size but i dont know what else it would be. Just thought i'd get some thoughts as to if its a bed or not.have you ever seen a buck bed that large of an area? Image Image

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

Zap

Re: Whats your take on this?

Unread postby Zap » Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:01 pm

A low spot that held water till recently?
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
Maple_Ridge

Unread postby Maple_Ridge » Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:06 pm

A sasquatch bed? Lol

It looks like the far side had water damage just under the shade of the weeds/brush. Maybe the water damage theory is true.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
1 John 2:15 - read it
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:49 pm

Looks like a group bedding spot. Most likely doe group. I have seen the same thing in the marshes I scout.
admiral04

Unread postby admiral04 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:10 am

Zap wrote:A low spot that held water till recently?

I dont think in this case thats what it is. It actually seemed to be one ofthe few spots in the are that wasnt wet.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:09 am

Could be a bear bed. I jumped a bear last bow season and found two spots just like that, maybe 12 feet across and matted down.
bblefty

Unread postby bblefty » Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:44 am

Last summer I came upon an area with loads of these types of matted down super beds. They were filled with droppings. Like Dan said, a doe group bedding area where they are shifting beds looking in different directions to cover each other.
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:04 pm

I have found several doe family bedding areas that looked just like that. Two of them were inside a cedar swamp and the other was inside a cattail marsh. I had one inside a cedar swamp that was right behind my old cabin and I monitored it for years. When the first snowfalls of the season began I would examine the beds and entry / exit trails... as was already mentioned above they typically bed in a circular fashion in the matted down area. What I found very interesting about the bed behind my cabin is I thought it would be used for nearly any wind direction as it was surrounded by cedars and well inside the edge of the swamp... but there were only a couple of wind directions that had the does bedded there. I figured there were river currents of air that must hit that bedding area with certain wind directions.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”