transporting a carcass in a small trunk..

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Crazinamatese

transporting a carcass in a small trunk..

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Sat Jul 27, 2013 4:35 pm

Anyone drive a car to their hunting area? If so, is there a really handy way to pack a carcass into the trunk, or do you improvise? I have thought about this a lot and wondered if my trunk is big enough to fit a dead deer into it without any problems. Sorry if these are weird questions, just wondering if any fellow beasts have a way to store a carcass into a small car trunk.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!
PLB
500 Club

Re: transporting a carcass in a small trunk..

Unread postby PLB » Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:26 pm

Crazinamatese wrote:Anyone drive a car to their hunting area? If so, is there a really handy way to pack a carcass into the trunk, or do you improvise? I have thought about this a lot and wondered if my trunk is big enough to fit a dead deer into it without any problems. Sorry if these are weird questions, just wondering if any fellow beasts have a way to store a carcass into a small car trunk.

I'm also very curious too because I've thought of getting a car that's good on gas for hunting. Don't know if I really need a truck??

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
Bowhunting Brian
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhunting Brian » Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:36 pm

before I bought my truck. I had put some smaller does in the trunk of my old Toyota Corolla. my next vehicle is going to be a car and I am just going to buy a small trailer.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Sat Jul 27, 2013 6:11 pm

Put a trailer hitch on the car and put one of those cargo carriers that fit into the receiver. I usually hunt more often than I kill so it is only an inconvenience once or twice a year.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Sat Jul 27, 2013 9:42 pm

I used to hunt with a buddy that had a big crown Victoria....I used to love taking that taught on doe hunts.
We got four does in the trunk once. It was a transporter for sure. We pulled the rubber mat out of the trunk, pulled the drain hole plugs and washed it out afterwards.

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sat Jul 27, 2013 11:43 pm

I agree with Stan... Trailor hitch and cargo carrier... When I was young I shot plenty of deer while driving a car. Either stuffed it in the trunk as best it would fit, draped it over the top of the car ( which was common back in those days ) or put it in the back or front seat on a tarp.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sat Jul 27, 2013 11:50 pm

Here is a pic of me and brother Bill with a buck I took bowhunting back in the late 1980's on the top of a car... This was the standard way to transport then, and it was required to have deer in plain sight of other cars by law so no one could transport poached deer... Anti's screaming about bloody carcasses ended that being a requirement, But I would think it could still be done.

GRUD
500 Club

Unread postby GRUD » Sun Jul 28, 2013 12:13 am

I saw a prius with a hitch hauler once, funny stuff. I helped a young guy load up a buck on a state park hunt a couple years ago. We laid the buck on a tarp then we picked up the tarp and just laid it in his trunk. Kept everything from getting bloody.

Mario
ProStaff

Unread postby Mario » Sun Jul 28, 2013 12:23 am

Bowhunting Brian wrote:before I bought my truck. I had put some smaller does in the trunk of my old Toyota Corolla. my next vehicle is going to be a car and I am just going to buy a small trailer.

I used to do the same with my 1996 corolla. I cut a piece of plywood to fit the trunk then laid down a tarp. Never had a problem fitting deer in it. Bring some tie down straps in case you need to hold the trunk down

Chris Conroy
500 Club

Unread postby Chris Conroy » Sun Jul 28, 2013 12:26 am

My son shot a decent 8 a couple of years ago in Waupaca and we had driven there in a Ford Focus. We ran to K-mart and bought a plastic painters tarp and some rope. We stuffed that deer in the trunk and tied it shut. We couldn't fit the back feet or half of the rack in there. No blood in the car but we found ticks for a week.

gjs4
500 Club

Unread postby gjs4 » Sun Jul 28, 2013 12:40 am

tarps and trash bags from dogde shadows, neons....had a few trucks since but currently drive a forester. love the thing. have a 2" receiver and use a slide in rack or a small trailer. I can go nearly anywhere my suvs could and rock 25.5 mpg average! If they ever make the baja again it will be the only vehicle i would buy new....
Green and growing... Or red and rotting
Arrowbender
500 Club

Unread postby Arrowbender » Sun Jul 28, 2013 1:02 am

I hauled my doe home in my Buick Regal last October.
No probs. It does get interesting when you put them in prior to rigormortis and they stiffen up before the removal process. Who cares if the neighbors were having Dexter flashbacks watching me with the sawzall. Lol!!

rizzo999
500 Club

Unread postby rizzo999 » Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:11 am

This guy had this beast jammed into the back of his older model Saturn on gun opening day last year in SW WI. This check-in station is located just outside of Cobb, WI.

UntouchableNess
500 Club

Unread postby UntouchableNess » Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:30 am

I've been a car hunter for most of my life. My last two vehicles have been a Honda Accord and now I hunt with a Honda Civic.

Like people say, tarps. I was able to get two does in the trunk last December to take them to a check station. I think the officer was kind of surprised when I opened it. :lol:

Last October's buck was a different story, couldn't get him stuffed all the way in, left the head hang out and tied down the trunk lid (so have rope or bungee cords handy). I only needed to drive 15 miles, so it wasn't bad.

For my elk trip to NM in 2011, I bought a huge cooler at WalMart that takes up the entire back seat of the Civic. I was able to fit the boned cow elk in it with lots of room to spare. If you can quarter and/or bone at the car, that might open options as well.
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:33 am

I think unless someone is hauling 500+lbs of gear, towing a trailer, or traveling minimum maintenance roads a truck generally isn't needed...unless they just like paying for gas lol.

I drive 60,000+ miles a year for work so as a result drive a beater corolla. I am cheap enough to always have prefered a high gas milage car even tho its a pain to stuff my 6'5" frame into sometimes lol. The car ends up being my hunting vehicle too.

A doe fits nicely in a plastic tarp in the trunk of the corolla. A buck will too UNTIL it stiffens up, say it takes me 4 hours to get out of the woods, then it doesn't fit because of the rack and I need to run and get the truck. A trailer hitch works slick too.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”