transporting a carcass in a small trunk..

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: transporting a carcass in a small trunk..

Unread postby dan » Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:44 am

TRailor hitch users should be reminded that they still need to cover the deer with a tarp or plastic or road debris will taint there meat and hide...

Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Sun Jul 28, 2013 3:11 am

A trip down to Missouri in the late 70s. You gotta do what you gotta do. I don't even know who took the picture. Didn't have room in the rabbit with 2 guys, bows, and equipment. If my friend would have killed one, he would have went on top also.

You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sun Jul 28, 2013 3:18 am

When there is a will there is a way! ;)

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Bigb
500 Club

Unread postby Bigb » Sun Jul 28, 2013 3:30 am

I have a SUV and have used both the trailer hitch and the roof. If you go the trailer hitch way, make sure you can get one that folds up and down. When you don't have a deer on it, you don't have to worry about backing into things or anyone backing into you.

For the tarp to roof, I recommend a tarp that has a rope running through the edges so you can tighten it. They sell them now for about the same price as a regular tarp. We used on this year for my buck this year and all you do it put the deer it and tighten it up a bit. It was super easy to put on the roof, much easier then when we used a regular tarp. It used to take us a but to put a deer on the roof with the tarp in the right spot and not slipping. Now, it takes us just a couple minutes to put the deer on the roof and tie down.
Bowhunting Brian
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhunting Brian » Sun Jul 28, 2013 3:39 am

mt008 wrote:
Bowhunting Brian wrote:before I bought my truck. I had put some smaller does in the trunk of my old Toyota Corolla. my next vehicle is going to be a car and I am just going to buy a small trailer.

I used to do the same with my 1996 corolla. I cut a piece of plywood to fit the trunk then laid down a tarp. Never had a problem fitting deer in it. Bring some tie down straps in case you need to hold the trunk down

[ Post made via Android ] Image

lol. my corolla was a 1996 too.
Rutnstrut
500 Club

Unread postby Rutnstrut » Sun Jul 28, 2013 4:21 am

My trucks stay home most of the time. Lately I've been mostly hunting out of my 2 door Cavalier, a tarp in the trunk and deer fit nicely. The money I save by not driving the truck 160 miles round trip to my land, adds up nicely. Of course I spend saved money on hunting gear;)
wibowhntr

Unread postby wibowhntr » Sun Jul 28, 2013 4:50 am

I use a 2007 Saturn Ion and always have a tarp in the truck. I put my 150" buck in it last year with only the head sticking out. I then tie the trunk lid down so the it doesn't bounce around.
GRFox
500 Club

Unread postby GRFox » Sun Jul 28, 2013 5:13 am

Lay out a 9x12 tarp. Plop the deer in the middle. Take the deers legs and fold them up under the body as if the deer was bedded. Take your saftey harnes tree teather and tie the deer into that position. Fold up the tarp and wrap the deer like a present. Now open your trunk run 2 ratchet or lonewolf straps through the top of the trunk and up onto the rearview window, let the other end hang down the bumper. Close your trunk. Place wrapped deer on top of trunk and sinch down with straps. Drive away.

That's how I transport all my deer. If its late and dark out I don't wrap it in the tarp just let it ride on the top of the trunk.

If you use your lw straps you can take the carribeaner from your harness and use that to connect both loops of the strap.

MOBIGBUCKS

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Sun Jul 28, 2013 11:16 am

I got a public spot about 45 minutes from home that I'm gonna hunt from my car. I figure if I get one down I'll call my wife to bring my truck to me. Otherwise, I'll enjoy the 35-37 MPG going down there...LOL

I think you just gotta plan ahead and be prepared to skin and quarter the deer before coming home. No reason you can't use a car.
Crazinamatese

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Sun Jul 28, 2013 11:25 am

Thanks for the ideas and comments. I got some tarp and a few bungie straps. I guess we will find outif we can fit a deer in there this year. Dan made a good point about debris getting onto the meat. A couple of my hunting areas are on gravel roads. Dust would be a concern. I will take a pic if I get one this season.

The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!
May-39

Unread postby May-39 » Sun Jul 28, 2013 1:16 pm

BE CAREFUL WITH CARGO RACK and 1 1/4" hauler racks..thats alot of torque for a small surface area..step on edge of one and see.. Seen some terrific failures with heavy coolers or little rascals working the road...

Search craigslist for a thule rack,,The crossbars are universal,,,search ebay for mounts or might get lucky and get a complete setup for your ride cheap..I've bought one used for every ride I've had to carry canoe, never paid more than $150.00 for everything,,last one was $75.00 with proper brackets..A couple 4' 2x6 with ubolts, wingnuts and wholla. .I now make every attempt to hide any buck I shoot, attention never helps but that's another subject not asked about

the tarp idea is handy too,,done that stanky ride... you sure that back seat doesn't fold down? Even if not from factory it's usually not much work to pull the back seat if you have the right drive bit..I did that in my jetta sedan and for a pal's geo prism which I think is the same as a corolla.. Go take a look or google "rear seat removal (insert your car here)"

I love beast members, practical over show,,I drive a diesel vw station wagon 90 percent of the time,,50 mpg plenty of room for gear and can sleep.
cbigbear
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/mobilehuntinggear/

Unread postby cbigbear » Sun Jul 28, 2013 1:26 pm

I quarter my deer up anyway to pack out so I guess I could hunt out of a smart car!!!! I do hunt a good bit out of a 02 Chevy Impala it has a nice big trunk. I just drop my Alice pack in there with the quarters & straps. The pack is already lined with a trash bag. Then put the head in another bag if it's a buck. Head home happy getting 32mpg.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”