Trail cams, help or hindrance?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Southern Man
500 Club

Re: Trail cams, help or hindrance?

Unread postby Southern Man » Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:13 am

muddy wrote:So I completely renigged and put my cam out today with the kids, which made it quite fun. Then I over did it an ordered some new IR cams that have a warranty, are easier to use, and "guaranteed" to not eat up batteries.

I loved my home brew cams but man, I hated dead batteries every 3 weeks and if the batteries died you had to reset EVERYTHING in the control panels.

Here's to jumping back into the wonderful world of trail cams. :angry-banghead:

Welcome back to the dark side :mrgreen:

You Can't Argue With A Sick Mind
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:44 am

Well, once these home brews are done in I w I ll be happy, they're getting old amd problematic

[ Post made via Android ] Image
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:59 am

muddy wrote:So I completely renigged and put my cam out today with the kids, which made it quite fun. Then I over did it an ordered some new IR cams that have a warranty, are easier to use, and "guaranteed" to not eat up batteries.

I loved my home brew cams but man, I hated dead batteries every 3 weeks and if the batteries died you had to reset EVERYTHING in the control panels.

Here's to jumping back into the wonderful world of trail cams. :angry-banghead:

You forgot to mention you forgot to set that one thing correctly and then that other one thing. Oh yeah and you hung it up side down. And you forgot to turn off the lcd. Oh, you got flashed in the eyes and couldn't see for a minute or two. You also forgot you have to carry 5 different size batteries. I have used homebrews for 7 years this is my first year with commercials exclusively.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:01 am

True. 10 years ago home brews were the best economical solution. Now a guy can go commercial and be completely happy.

http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
rizzo999
500 Club

Unread postby rizzo999 » Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:00 am

I'm just like a bunch of you guys. Previously I would leave them or move them all season. I feel that mature deer pattern those cams regardless of noise or light emitted. This year I am just using them until opening day and pulling them. Checked them 7/13. They will not get checked again until opening day unless I can sneak out in the rain.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”