Unique experiences while hunting deer in the stand

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

mtman71

Re: Unique experiences while hunting deer in the stand

Unread postby mtman71 » Sun Jul 28, 2013 11:38 am

I got some VAP's done up with Pink and Orange Blazers and a 6"pink wrap. I was sitting in my ladder stand during the archery opener last Sept, around the 3rd if I remember correctly. I had my bow in a holder on the side of my stand and had a several hummingbirds come and check out the fletchings and wraps. Pretty neat little birds, especially that close.

Arrowbender
500 Club

Unread postby Arrowbender » Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:11 am

Whoa.. really got me thinking and I came up with way too many to expand on so I will just list them briefly. Makes me smile remembering all of these:
gray squirrel on my shoulder and another time on my leg.
grouse that enjoyed my company in MY tree (several times, same grouse)
squirrels falling out of trees
coons falling out of trees
a red fox that fell out of a tree (really!)
wolves
moose
two bucks sparring IN a pond (lasted 20 minutes, under 25 yards)
two different bucks breed the same doe, under 40 yrds in a two hour time frame. Arguably my best day afield ever.
chickadee on arrow (x2)
night hawk attacked me, (almost, no contact made but when I raised my hand in defense I had my wrist strap on and my bow hit me in the nose)
sequestering buck run off several other mature bucks (could feel the tension)
bachelor group two year old pick a fight with all other (five) bucks in the group including the dominate one.(210 pound 130" class. Yea, I weighed him)
doe fight ( well kinda of, Mamma doe was trying to run off her yearling prior to rut. She had an incredible right hook)!
2 yr old buck service a scrape over-hanging branch standing upright on hind legs. (15 yrds)
yearling buck lay down 15yrds from stand and fall asleep, head bobbing away and actually had his chin hit the ground awaking him.
Buck die at the shot and roll over with all four legs sticking straight up like on a cartoon prior to rolling the rest of the way over
Doe standing 11 yards away with a couple of pierced lungs, hear her lungs gurgle, scare her into full tilt run.
doe in stare down with me during a down pour, all of sudden shake like a dog and look like she exploded into a ball of water. (she won)!
hen turkey land in my tree, 3 feet above me
man walk-in on me on public, erect his stand 40 yards from me, sit for 20 minutes, stand up and shoot a yearling buck I had passed up
owl purposely do a hard landing above me, breaking off the branch, nearly hitting me. ( I swear it was with malice)
buck with frosty back in morning
buck with snow on rack
buck apparently have a seizure while freshening up my mock scrape that had mature buck tarsal on O/H branch.
red fox doing the exaggerated dives, catch the mouse then play with it prior to eating it.
two coyotes, very strategically catch a rabbit, then split it in half, then go their separate ways to eat it.

I'm sure there are a bunch more. Some of these just make me shake my head and smile. Would be cool to have a video for sure.
Fun thread.
Ghost Hunter

Unread postby Ghost Hunter » Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:30 pm

Guess it has been about 15 years ago. I was muzzle loading one morning. Back when I hunted with something besides a bow. I saw this small buck feeding on acorns in a little finger of woods. I decided I would sneak up on him. I got with then 30 yards of him. I was patting myself on my back for such a good job. He stopped an looked up at me. He was a five point. I raised the ML an started squeezing the trigger. Something did not feel right so I stopped an he just was standing there starring at me. He then proceeded to walk my way to within about 15 yards an walked a complete circle around me. He then stopped an starred even more. After about 20 minutes I just turned an walked off an looked back an he was still feeding. True story.
I'm reason they call it hunting and not shooting.
Maple_Ridge

Unread postby Maple_Ridge » Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:08 pm

This is the picture I was talking about
1 John 2:15 - read it
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:21 pm

Maple_Ridge wrote:Image

That is awesome!

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Ghost Hunter

Unread postby Ghost Hunter » Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:02 pm

Jackson Marsh wrote:

That is awesome!

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Sweet picture. :clap:
I'm reason they call it hunting and not shooting.
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:55 pm

I posted this once years ago and should know better than to belittle myself once again...

nahhhh! :lol:

years ago I was bowhunting on public land in northern Michigan, an evening hunt. It became dark and the hunt was over. I tied my bow rope onto my bow and lowered it, followed by my pack, to the ground below. It had been a cloudy afternoon, and I was surprised by how quickly it had become quite dark. I turned sideways to ready for the climb down... when it happened.

[glow=red]SWOOOOOOOOSHHHHHHH!!!![/glow] I heard through the treetops, something flying through the branches with the speed of a missile...

[glow=red]SWOOOOOOOOSHHHHH!!![/glow] the noise became very loud and got much closer... followed by something slamming in to my thigh at 30 mph with claws digging deep into me!!!

[glow=red]GAAAAAAAABBBBBBAAAAAAIIIIIIIIYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!![/glow] I screamed like a little girl... with no safety harness I jumped three feet upward, twisting and spinning, clawing at the creature of the night that intended to make me its next meal (or so I thought)!! How I didn't fall out of that tree remains a mystery to this day...

It turned out that a !#!#! flying squirrel has mistaken my leg for a tree trunk (they are nocturnal). Not sure, maybe he was hunting nuts?!? I vaguely remember doing laundry later that evening.
bblefty

Unread postby bblefty » Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:30 pm

Several times I have had domesticated dogs run through my runways and just blow hunts.

My favorite hunts were my first ones where I saw an all black squirrel climb up in the tree with me along with another squirrel that was half grey and half black. They were both much bigger than a typical squirrel.

Last season, I had two run-ins with the same grey fox. The first time he just stood there watching me for nearly 30 minutes over his den while I worked on a poor mans plot.

I was setup leaning against a tree when he came running in and turned down the trail 3 yards from me before he saw me. He completely freaked out and dropped the mouse in his mouth. Shook me up a little too.
lynchpin

Unread postby lynchpin » Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:00 pm

trdtnlbwhntr wrote:Before my great grandpa passed away, my father and I used to hunt his farm. One early morning I was on stand between a food source and bedding area. I could see into a field about 150 yards away something kept rolling around. As the sun came up I noticed the thing was redish in color and it would run then roll and run and roll. They layed motionless. Curiosity got the best of me so I began a slow stalk around the end of the field and up over a small rise. As I crested the hill a red fox was staring me in the face. His left front paw was caught in a trespassers trap. I figured the trapper didn't earn it so I tried to free the fox. My initial move was to push one of my cedar arrows into its jaws and force it away from me so that I could undo the spring on the trap. When he chomped into my arrow I knew that wasn't going to be enough. So I retreated and grabbed a branch with a Y in it. I shoved that in his mouth and pushed him away from me, extending his leg out. I stepped on one side of the trap and pushed the other side with my free hand just enough to let his leg loose. He took a step back to remove the stick from his mouth and looked right into my eyes. We might have been 3 paces away from each other. Its one of those moments you feel extremely in tuned with nature. He bounded away about 30 yards and stopped and turned back towards me and sat down like a dog. I just sat there in awe as he turned and walked away into the brush.

I have had multiple opportunities to bow shoot fox since then, but I have absolutely no desire. That guy there proved that animals can sense danger to me. He knew I was of no harm to him and in his own way he thanked me for letting him go. Ill never forget that.

Thanks for sharing... Great story!

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
go DEEP or go HOME
lynchpin

Unread postby lynchpin » Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:02 pm

Singing Bridge wrote:I posted this once years ago and should know better than to belittle myself once again...

nahhhh! :lol:

years ago I was bowhunting on public land in northern Michigan, an evening hunt. It became dark and the hunt was over. I tied my bow rope onto my bow and lowered it, followed by my pack, to the ground below. It had been a cloudy afternoon, and I was surprised by how quickly it had become quite dark. I turned sideways to ready for the climb down... when it happened.

[glow=red]SWOOOOOOOOSHHHHHHH!!!![/glow] I heard through the treetops, something flying through the branches with the speed of a missile...

[glow=red]SWOOOOOOOOSHHHHH!!![/glow] the noise became very loud and got much closer... followed by something slamming in to my thigh at 30 mph with claws digging deep into me!!!

[glow=red]GAAAAAAAABBBBBBAAAAAAIIIIIIIIYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!![/glow] I screamed like a little girl... with no safety harness I jumped three feet upward, twisting and spinning, clawing at the creature of the night that intended to make me its next meal (or so I thought)!! How I didn't fall out of that tree remains a mystery to this day...

It turned out that a !#!#! flying squirrel has mistaken my leg for a tree trunk (they are nocturnal). Not sure, maybe he was hunting nuts?!? I vaguely remember doing laundry later that evening.

Not sure, maybe he was hunting nuts?!? Funny!

go DEEP or go HOME
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:03 pm

I posted this story last fall. Thought I would copy it to this thread............

I was hunting a fairly remote island and was set up on a buck bed. About 20 minutes before closing I had a deer working it's way towards me but could not get a clear view of it due to very thick brush. There was a chipmunk scurrying around in the leaves when all of a sudden the leaves and brush exploded below me! Here a badger flew out of it's den and tried attacking the chipmunk but was not successful!! :shock: The hole to then den must have been covered with leaves since I never saw it. It hung around until dark and didn't go back into the den until I let my bow down. I always heard badgers can be pretty aggressive so after packing my stand up in the dark I made sure to give him a wide berth. I have seen badgers before but was really surprised to see one way out on this island especially since it is fairly remote and normally completely surrounded by water!

Oh yeah............the deer that was headed my way turned around and went back the way it came from. Guess it didn't like all of the commotion!!!

Here is a pic of the badger and the hole to the den just below him. Sorry I couldn't get a better picture since I was trying to focus on the deer headed my way.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

lynchpin

Unread postby lynchpin » Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:04 pm

Very cool

go DEEP or go HOME
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:09 pm

lynchpin wrote:

Very cool

X2

Great picture. I have had that happen quite a few times but never lucky enough to get a picture of one. 8-)

Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:16 pm

One time I was sitting on stand very relaxed and all of a sudden I felt something bump my hat. Didn't think nothing of it until I heard what sounded like a giant mosquito and kept poking at my head. Pretty sure you can figure out what it was.............a humingbird!

Only explanation I can think of was that my hat had some red embroidery on it and the hummingbird must have thought it was a flower! :lol:

SofaKing

Unread postby SofaKing » Tue Jul 30, 2013 4:38 pm

Last season I was excited to hit my favorite spot in an oak flat for the first time. Got in undetected setup the climber and up I went. As day break approached I heard a small but distinct rustling. Then Bang Bang! And falling shot bouncing of the leaves around me. Stunned by what just happened , I thought were did that come from and no one else was out here. Silence fell for ten minutes. Then I noticed by the edge of some small birch trees what appeared to be a black bear swaying back and forth as he headed my direction. But once it came out of the birch I looked through the range finder and noticed it had a brown stocking hat on. This was no bear. It was an African American with a black carhart coat and bibs carrying a pump shotgun. I sat still for awhile and he didn't notice I was up in the tree. He proceeded to walk right down the trail I was watching. I realized my mourning hunt was toast. So I called out "mourning! ". Was he ever shocked to here my voice. He looked up and said "man you seen any squirrel?" I pointed to one on the tree next to me that had been entertaining at early light. Without hesitation he pulled up the shotgun and blasted it. I could feel the percussion from the shot. Needless to say I headed in for breakfast.

Deer hunting isn't a season it's a way of Life

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”