How are you preparing for season?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Gibby
500 Club

Re: How are you preparing for season?

Unread postby Gibby » Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:53 pm

Mostly equipment/gear Inspection and Maintenance at the moment, going thru everything making sure its functional and quiet.
Gonna start shooting daily in the next week or so
Did most of my major whitetail scouting in the spring, have a bunch of spots picked out and marked on the GPS
Still need to spend a couple days in early Aug doing some final inspection and tree prep for these spots (wanted to do it in spring but got tied up on other things)
I put out several mineral stations in April, I am going to stick some no flash cams on them in the next couple weeks to see what's in the area
I get to work the bugs out of my system in September on a Fall Bear hunt and then my annual Archery Moose hunt, so everything should be good to go by the time Whitetail season rolls around :D

Gibby

PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:28 pm

Maps! I would be curious the amount of hours I spend looking at maps each week. Really I don't think I want to know...

Shooting the bow and trying to get a few hours in scouting each week.

Hopefully I'll have at least a couple cameras purchased and set by next month, but those are mostly for information for next year.

Oh, and I always enjoy getting spoon-fed some great hunting information here on the Beast.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
nater

Unread postby nater » Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:07 am

Tallying the amount of time I spend looking at maps is about as bad of an idea as tallying up the amount of money spent on hunting gear in a given year.

In the wrong hands, this is very very dangerous information.
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:27 am

Scouting continuously by land and sea.

Planning followed by more planning.

Equipment checking and preparation.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:21 am

nater wrote:Tallying the amount of time I spend looking at maps is about as bad of an idea as tallying up the amount of money spent on hunting gear in a given year.

In the wrong hands, this is very very dangerous information.

:lol:

Agreed. I will likely be looking at maps when my new slug barrel for my 870 gets delivered and if my wife is home she won't be excited about either of those things...
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:07 am

Wearing out boot leather scouting, checking tracks, and running several cams continually. This time of year is all about inventory of the bucks for me, pinpointing the older/bigger ones I find and and guessing out how their movement will change come fall - checking oaks for acorns, looking at what crops are in and how far along they are. I shoot the bow year round, mostly because its fun to me. Not worried about the rest of my gear, it will be ready when I check it a couple weeks before season!
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:50 am

doing a little shooting and thinking about having some fun come hunting season.
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
UntouchableNess
500 Club

Unread postby UntouchableNess » Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:22 pm

I'm fishing and not running trailcams. ;)
Maple_Ridge

Unread postby Maple_Ridge » Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:21 pm

Have been out of state on work trips, 2 out of the last 3 weeks.

If I ever get time in the next week or so, I need to review all hunts in last years journal. And review all diagrams from spring scouting.

I need to retire. Hahahaaa

[ Post made via Android ] Image
1 John 2:15 - read it
fishlips
500 Club

Unread postby fishlips » Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:33 pm

Shooting the bow, looking at too many aerial maps, reading this site as much as possible, and driving my friends and wife crazy talking about how excited I am for the WI bow opener!
xpauliber
500 Club

Unread postby xpauliber » Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:53 pm

Brad wrote:What is everyone doing these days to get ready for season? I have been shooting the bow a lot when the weathers decent, trying odd distance shots, and then at night shooting in my basement[glow=red]trying to beat target panic[/glow] and perfecting my release. I have also been double checking stands and sticks, and will start practicing them real soon. I am also rounding up camo and other gear, looking at maps, and shining.

Brad,

My brother bought a "Squeeze Me" release from Carter:

http://www.carterenterprises.com/releases/resistance-activated/squeeze-me

It's pricey, but we've both been using it to try and break the habit of punching the trigger as soon as the pin gets on the bullseye. It has worked awesome for us and it's actually allowed me to learn the proper way to shoot a bow; with back tension. I've since went back to my regular trigger release and use back tension to trigger the release and it has dramatically improved my accuracy and I can float the pin all day on whatever I'm shooting at. I know for a fact that target panic cost me the biggest buck I've shot at last year. I'm hopeful that I'll be able to get the job done now that I've learned the proper way to shoot!!
MOBIGBUCKS

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Thu Jul 25, 2013 6:10 am

Trail cameras are going out starting this weekend for six weeks. I should be able to get some photos from some of the bucks I will be tangling with this year.

I've been really planning out all of my buck bed hunts down to the access routes, wind, etc. Putting everything on maps and seeing the big picture really helps. I've been marking crop rotations and planning stand adjustments for year to year changes.

The rest is just equipment purchases and replacement, shooting the bow, and getting ready for a another crazy year of bowhunting.
mbucks27

Unread postby mbucks27 » Thu Jul 25, 2013 6:48 am

I have a few cams out which i will be checking this weekend on some new property. Haven't been able to shoot my bow b/c i got shoulder surgery a few weeks ago and i am still trying to heal before i start shooting again. been looking at a lot of topo maps and areial photos lately trying to figure out some new spots for this year. I will be trying to get the first two weeks of Nov off from work this year and will be hunting hard every day. Im also getting married in Dec this year so that has been taking up a lot of time with the prep work but all i can think about is hunting lol.

John

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”