Great hunters that no one knows?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Ridgerunner7
500 Club

Great hunters that no one knows?

Unread postby Ridgerunner7 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:45 am

Tell us about some great hunters that noone has ever heard of. Maybe a relative, friend, local guy? Someone that doesn't share pics, write articles, enter deer into books, no TV shows. Share their story, tactics, etc.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

Bucky

Re: Great hunters that noone knows?

Unread postby Bucky » Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:06 am

Drove by a barn today in WI that had 70 racks nailed to the side of it. Racks pushing all the way up to 170s. I'm guessing the family has a few decent hunters that don't care much about antlers but quality time together and the meat.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:07 am

Or they don't care for head mounts! HahahHa

[ Post made via Android ] Image
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
jonsimoneau
500 Club

Unread postby jonsimoneau » Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:17 am

I know a guy who lives and hunts in MN whose top six bucks "net" well over 1000 inches. I know there may be many people who can claim this but consider this. He is not very old and has never hunted with anything other than a longbow or recurve. He does not own property. Hunts big woods. He kills a big buck every single year. He does scout very hard in the offseason and believe it or not he focuses on finding concentrations of rubs.
GRUD
500 Club

Unread postby GRUD » Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:34 am

One of the greats that mabey not a lot of people have heard of is the late Paul Schafer. The stories about him are epic. Made his own bows and could shoot with the best of the compound guys, even out to 80 yds. killed all kinds of big game, pure mountain man. Once chased a wounded antelope for 40 miles to finish it off. There are some good write ups on him over on the Tradgang site. Well worth the read to learn about this legend.

moondoondude
500 Club

Unread postby moondoondude » Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:47 am

I know this guy Andy from the upper Midwest. He hunted with a guy I know pretty well, the dude is a slippery type of legend. He showed up in a place completely unknown to him one day to do some hunting. He was looking for a small pinch/creek bed leading from some big timber that funneled out into some open fields. He did a little extra walking around on his way to the stand and then got set up in a big low lying cool ravine that held deer before they went out to feed for the night. He killed a nice buck, on self video that night, his first day coming east of the Appalachians, all offhand. He hung out for a few days and stayed on deer and cleaned up some does before heading back up north. The only thing that surprised me was his drinking, less than par for a Midwest dude. Us east coast boys really tore him up. Other than that, no one really comes to mind.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
Ridgerunner7
500 Club

Unread postby Ridgerunner7 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:52 am

moondoondude wrote:I know this guy Andy from the upper Midwest. He hunted with a guy I know pretty well, the dude is a slippery type of legend. He showed up in a place completely unknown to him one day to do some hunting. He was looking for a small pinch/creek bed leading from some big timber that funneled out into some open fields. He did a little extra walking around on his way to the stand and then got set up in a big low lying cool ravine that held deer before they went out to feed for the night. He killed a nice buck, on self video that night, his first day coming east of the Appalachians, all offhand. He hung out for a few days and stayed on deer and cleaned up some does before heading back up north. The only thing that surprised me was his drinking, less than par for a Midwest dude. Us east coast boys really tore him up. Other than that, no one really comes to mind.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image

Lol.. Nice.

PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:43 am

I would say the majority of the guys on this site, lol.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
jonsimoneau
500 Club

Unread postby jonsimoneau » Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:37 pm

Grud. Paul Schafer is a good one to mention! But he is very well known in the traditional bowhunting community. LOL! Lots of stories about him and there is currently a book being written about him. My favorite is the one where some rifle hunters had wounded an antelope and were taking shots at it trying to finish it off as it ran across the Montana prairie when Paul shot it on a dead run from a long ways away with his recurve ending the episode. He looked at the other guys and said "You guys might wanna get your guns sighted in". Not sure if its true but a of a story. I recently spent a few days with whitetail legend Barry Wensel and he told some great eye witness stories about Paul that were priceless and will probably never be in print. Wish I could have met the man!

jonsimoneau
500 Club

Unread postby jonsimoneau » Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:41 pm

For some other great stories about Paul Schafer, check out the book that Barry Wensel wrote a couple of years ago. It's available at www.brothersofthebow.com and its really good stuff. Check it out guys!

Crazinamatese

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:57 pm

Some of the greatest hunters I ever had the privilege to learn from are right here on this site. No names in particular, but a solid group here all together. I also believe some the ol' timers in our hunting party way back in the early 90's when I started hunting at the age of 12 were some of the best hunters I ever met. Just listening to their stories of hunts in the past and how they "tracked a wounded huge buck in a blizzard for 3 miles", back in the 1960's. And listening about their epic deer drives which resulted in many successful kills. There was always a little bit of exaggeration in their tales, but they were fun to listen to, and I learned a great deal. Many of those ol' timers are now resting in peace, and I sure miss them every year around gun season. If only I had the sense at that age to really sit down and talk with them about hunting and tactics they used to use, I sure would have.
The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!
G3s
500 Club

Unread postby G3s » Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:04 pm

I know of a few people that I would call great hunters. My brother is one of the few that I would label as a great hunter and fisherman, he is just a great outdoorsman all the way around. I have a buddy from S.E Minnesota we call Booger and he is an excellent whitetail hunter, he has had way above average success on whopper whitetail and he is still very young at less than 25 yrs old.
bblefty

Unread postby bblefty » Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:50 am

Always seen my grandpa and my uncle that way. Staring at the big bucks on their wall also made me wonder these bucks were hanging out. Hunting all rifle when I hunted with them, I came to think that these types of bucks don't exist. Bowhunting has really opened it back up by learning to scout and find these bucks.

Also many of the guys on this site.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:59 am

I know a guy at the neighboring camp that has put down a lot of nice bucks. He gets it done every single year and I would have to say is more hardcore than I. Other than the guys on this site it rarely happens. He's a little secretive about his tactics and I don't blame him, when we talk he keeps it pretty simple but I know he is holding back a bit. From what I gather he isn't using beast tactics but I think he knows how to find mature bucks so he is probably close to bedding. Guy lives in the woods and does a ton of scouting and hunts just about everything that moves so he knows his stuff.
RUTIN
Facebook: Zach Taylor

Unread postby RUTIN » Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:48 am

Its hard for me to think of someone I think is really good. I know a lot of guys who successfully kill big deer every year but have primo ground as well. To me it still requires you to be a good hunter but doesn't require you to learn anything new except where the big deer are on a single piece of property. The guys I like are the ones who can do it anywhere at anytime (Spyser seemed like this kind of guy). I shoot with the guy who holds the OH typical record from time to time (killed in 86' with longbow) and he is a very knowledgeable guy. He now hunts one piece of property that primo and usually kills a 140+ every year but after 15+ yrs of scouting this property that only he has access to I would expect much less. I do know (kinda) of a guy who hunts nothing but public low pressure land in ID that kills slammers 160+ deer every year and were talking HUGE mountain hunting.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”