Found bed, but now what?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

monster6

Found bed, but now what?

Unread postby monster6 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:37 am

Ok guys, i went out and scouted a spot and found a buck bed. This bed reminded me of Dans marsh buck that bedded on the transition line of the marsh and the brush line. I sat in the bed and found that this buck is probably bedded there on a east wind. Based on the side of the rubs where facing. The rubs in the bed where facing towards the south, so it got me thinking hes bedded there on a EAST wind and and facing the east. Or am i totally wrong. My problem now is that I do not know which way he enters and exits his bed. To the NORTH is just all marsh and a river and to the SOUTh is a road. There is only 2 good trees that I can climb that is about 25 yards away. If the buck gets up and goes to the east there is a apple tree there with plenty of apples. If he comes to the west, he's a dead deer. How will I know which way he will exit? I have a tree that I marked with a X. the red is the bucks bed and the green circle is the apple tree blue line his travel route. and a short video.

[bbvideo=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fEB6DE1nACY[/bbvideo]

Crazinamatese

Re: Found bed, but now what?

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:34 am

You sure you have the directions right, cuz, the compass in the corner shows different.
The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:36 am

it got me thinking hes bedded there on a EAST wind and and facing the east

Most of the time they face down wind... Buck is either bedding there on East and south winds, or every wind... I would expect him to visit that apple tree when he leaves his bed if there are apples there. Otherwise he good go either way. Sign will hopefully give you that intel, if not hunt the one most likely and the other spot second.
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:38 am

Crazinamatese wrote:You sure you have the directions right, cuz, the compass in the corner shows different.

True... Most pictures are automatically north at the top oriented unless altered too... I answered based on his marks, not what appears, or should be the directions.
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:39 am

Also... The video says "private" when clicked on... It must be in a file marked for no public access.
monster6

Unread postby monster6 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:10 pm

The directions are correct I don't know why the compass didn't change when I rotated the image. I made a ground blind ready for the spot if he comes in into the apple tree because of no tree was available except for the apple tree itself. I may try the apple tree first. Do you think I should try and put a camera near the apple tree now just to confirm the bucks pattern?

Hopefully the link should work now.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HqObOK8pWc0

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:38 pm

If the odds are 50/50, I like them. Which direction are the nearest oaks and crop fields? I would think the apple tree would be a good draw for the buck. I wouldn't mess around with a camera, can you climb a tree and glass him to catch a glimpse of which direction?

[ Post made via Android ] Image
monster6

Unread postby monster6 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:39 pm

Jackson Marsh wrote:If the odds are 50/50, I like them. Which direction are the nearest oaks and crop fields? I would think the apple tree would be a good draw for the buck. I wouldn't mess around with a camera, can you climb a tree and glass him to catch a glimpse of which direction?

The nearest crops and oaks are across the river NW about 300 yards. He would have to cross the river to the north get to the crops. I'm guessing there is no way the buck would cross to the West because there is a bridge/road and the only way across is to go on the bridge or swim.. So I'm hoping he would make it to the apples before the oaks. Jackson, there isn't any tree near the bed unless I watch the bed from across the river. Do you think I should glass him now or wait till closer to season?

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:34 pm

I would not put a camera anywhere near that bed... If you can glass that buck safely from across the river I think thats a great idea. But I would probably wait till closer to the season.
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:12 am

I wouldn't go anywhere near that apple tree until it is dropping and I am ready to kill something.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
monster6

Unread postby monster6 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:51 am

Thanks a lot guys! Hopefully I can get a crack at the buck this September!!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”