logging/tree thinning

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Brad

logging/tree thinning

Unread postby Brad » Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:20 am

There is some publicly accessible land near me that is being thinned out due to tree over crowding as we speak. It is close to a busy road and I have never stepped foot in it before, but I am thinking this might open up a lot more sunlight and make this a hot spot in the near future. Will they avoid it this year or should I get my but in there and start looking around? A lot of it is pines but a good amount is hardwoods as well.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Re: logging/tree thinning

Unread postby Stanley » Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:55 am

Loggers usually leave a big mess of branches. It is unavoidable. It usually takes another season for the undergrowth to start up. I would personally hunt it. Should keep some of the walkers out of there.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Maple_Ridge

Unread postby Maple_Ridge » Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:11 pm

You can bet there will be fresh tracks around the area, deer checking it over.

My grandmothers woods was logged select cut about 3 years ago by the ammish. My uncle hunted it like normal during that year. I dont think it bothered them much, and the results are incredible now. A 1/4 mile away on my uncles place after 2 years, the understory is unbelievable....about 8 ft. Tall grasses and trees are growing back in. Its extremely thick.

Also......

If you previously had an area that was heavily an ash tree woodlot......and the ash borer went thru....you now have an area that should grow thick in the next couple years. I have a spot similar and the MFR is taking over very fast

[ Post made via Android ] Image
1 John 2:15 - read it
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:28 pm

I would check it out. It should offer some browse this year, and get better next year. Deer have a highly varied diet and they are browsers.
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
cbigbear
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/mobilehuntinggear/

Unread postby cbigbear » Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:57 pm

Yes the deer will be in there as soon as the loggers leave. They will be browsing on the new growth in the next couple of months.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:07 pm

If they are just thinning I would think the canopy would repair in a few years, but in the mean time it should pop some browse and cover...
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
Southern Man
500 Club

Unread postby Southern Man » Sat Jul 20, 2013 12:01 am

I hunted a farm once long ago that the owner had logged during the late summer. I thought it was the end of hunting on that farm for a while. Not true. I scouted all the time back then and I was surprised to see fresh deer tracks everytime I went to that farm while it was being logged. It didn't bother the deer at all.

The tops left in the woods makes great places for bedding, plus the added forage. I seen real quick the deer loved it and the logging didn't hurt the deer huntin, it helped it.

James Kroll wrote an article once for North American Whitetail magazine on how deer utilize clearcuts from the time they cut the trees up until the logged area was 20 years old. Great article. I have seen that even though he was talkin about clearcuts, most of what he said held true for any type of timber activity.

Go for it.
You Can't Argue With A Sick Mind
Brad

Unread postby Brad » Sat Jul 20, 2013 1:11 am

This is a small 3 or 4 acre peice of land and its right by the HWY, I am thinking it is overlooked because of the size and location......aka a potential perfect big buck bed.

Southern Man wrote:I hunted a farm once long ago that the owner had logged during the late summer. I thought it was the end of hunting on that farm for a while. Not true. I scouted all the time back then and I was surprised to see fresh deer tracks everytime I went to that farm while it was being logged. It didn't bother the deer at all.

The tops left in the woods makes great places for bedding, plus the added forage. I seen real quick the deer loved it and the logging didn't hurt the deer huntin, it helped it.

James Kroll wrote an article once for North American Whitetail magazine on how deer utilize clearcuts from the time they cut the trees up until the logged area was 20 years old. Great article. I have seen that even though he was talkin about clearcuts, most of what he said held true for any type of timber activity.

Go for it.
Southern Man
500 Club

Unread postby Southern Man » Sat Jul 20, 2013 1:14 am

Brad wrote:This is a small 3 or 4 acre peice of land and its right by the HWY, I am thinking it is overlooked because of the size and location......aka a potential perfect big buck bed.

Southern Man wrote:I hunted a farm once long ago that the owner had logged during the late summer. I thought it was the end of hunting on that farm for a while. Not true. I scouted all the time back then and I was surprised to see fresh deer tracks everytime I went to that farm while it was being logged. It didn't bother the deer at all.

Go for it.

It's worth a look for sure....
You Can't Argue With A Sick Mind

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”