Hunting Farm Land

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Hunting Farm Land

Unread postby dan » Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:19 am

Stanley wrote:
Maple_Ridge wrote:Thanks to both of you for answering.

Stanley, looking back at my farm stand, I do not know where the beds are. In that spot I am thinking of, where they bed and access for a beast style hunt would most likely be difficult, as the acreage of woods is probably about 2 or 3. I actually do damage just getting to the edge of the field. Have shot a couple good bucks from that stand though, and a nice early season 3 yo.

Not to mess the thread up, but I should start another thread with food plot placement next to that ridge I was talking about with a topo for you guys to look at. I appreciate all the help, and its encouraging. Maybe next week when I am back in office.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Yeah that is a small parcel. In my opinion if you hunt that much at all you will burn it out. Are there other parcels of timber close by?

A lot of the time with the small island or field edge, or treeline bedding its a waiting game... I remember a huge buck Andrea shot that was bedding on a island in a field and Andrae would glass that buck from a distance and waited till it made it all the way across the field in daylight then moved in for the kill at the spot it was going too... I would still call that beast style, as close to the bed as he could be, but not making the move till the right timing. Sometimes patience and observing are the most important keys with small broken woodlot farms.

Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:20 am

MOBIGBUCKS wrote:
Stanley wrote:

Stanley, looking back at my farm stand, I do not know where the beds are. In that spot I am thinking of, where they bed and access for a beast style hunt would most likely be difficult, as the acreage of woods is probably about 2 or 3. I actually do damage just getting to the edge of the field. Have shot a couple good bucks from that stand though, and a nice early season 3 yo.

Not to mess the thread up, but I should start another thread with food plot placement next to that ridge I was talking about with a topo for you guys to look at. I appreciate all the help, and its encouraging. Maybe next week when I am back in office.

Yeah that is a small parcel. In my opinion if you hunt that much at all you will burn it out. Are there other parcels of timber close by?

I have some spots like that. They have been a one and done spot for me; sometimes I'll get a second chance and see the buck but he most likely already knew I was there no matter how careful I was on the second hunt. I'd hit those spots at the perfect time with the weather and moon on your side.

I hunted this spot 25 years ago probably 3 acres. Tough to get one good hunt out of it. Just no good approach I used the old jump off the moving car approach on this parcel more than once.

You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
MOBIGBUCKS

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:52 am

Stanley wrote:
MOBIGBUCKS wrote:
Stanley wrote:

I have some spots like that. They have been a one and done spot for me; sometimes I'll get a second chance and see the buck but he most likely already knew I was there no matter how careful I was on the second hunt. I'd hit those spots at the perfect time with the weather and moon on your side.

I hunted this spot 25 years ago probably 3 acres. Tough to get one good hunt out of it. Just no good approach I used the old jump off the moving car approach on this parcel more than once.

Yup, that's a tough one. Were there big bucks bedding in there Stan?
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:14 am

MOBIGBUCKS wrote:
Stanley wrote:
MOBIGBUCKS wrote:
Stanley wrote:

Yup, that's a tough one. Were there big bucks bedding in there Stan?

There were some does bedding in there. Never and sign of a buck until one of the does would come into heat. Did a lot of glassing of that parcel. Like I mentioned in an earlier post end parcels are just not as good as middle parcels. Plus a small end parcel gets even less deer traffic.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Maple_Ridge

Unread postby Maple_Ridge » Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:05 pm

Stan....just now have time to respond.

Yes. The area I am talking about, is connected to a larger parcel of timber that I cannot hunt. So the deer travel through what I can hunt, in order to eat on grandpas farm fields in the evenings.

Some deer bed close to the field edge just inside the timber. This is what makes it so dangerous for entry/exit. I have of course spooked deer off getting to my stand.

In years past, I hunted this field edge hard. I actually shot my first bow buck on the same edge a few yards down from the current position.

Anyways, its still a great spot. I always see bucks back there. I think i did not hunt it once last year though. Probably on an average year I hunt it about 1-2 times a week, which is pushing it. But I see many deer from it, and it can also be a great observation stand for ground hunts.

From this field edge, I can watch the ditch line, where I have started with ghillie tactics 2 years ago. Still a novice in that style hunt also......but I know the deer come off the neighbors woodlot, cross the alf-alfa field right to me, laying in the ditch. Its been alot of fun in a wide open farm field.

1 John 2:15 - read it
Maple_Ridge

Unread postby Maple_Ridge » Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:15 pm

dan wrote:
Stanley wrote:

A lot of the time with the small island or field edge, or treeline bedding its a waiting game... I remember a huge buck Andrea shot that was bedding on a island in a field and Andrae would glass that buck from a distance and waited till it made it all the way across the field in daylight then moved in for the kill at the spot it was going too... I would still call that beast style, as close to the bed as he could be, but not making the move till the right timing. Sometimes patience and observing are the most important keys with small broken woodlot farms.

Yep, you are right.

If I know where the target buck generally enters the farm field from observation, and can counter this with a follow up hunt to intercept his travel path, it will not matter if I cannot access the neighbors timber to find his bed. This has happened a couple times this way back on the farm. Its not the same as stalking in on em like you guys do though....

1 John 2:15 - read it
Sweet Shot 7
500 Club

Unread postby Sweet Shot 7 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:36 am

Do you think maybe we should post some ariels of how we have been successful on farm land. Or a future strategy that you want to employ this upcoming season. I know there is a land management forum but I figured it would be good in this thread. Just an idea. It really helps me seeing it visually!
Ridgerunner7
500 Club

Unread postby Ridgerunner7 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:13 am

Stanley wrote:
MOBIGBUCKS wrote:
Stanley wrote:

I have quite a few spots like this Stan. It's the only properties I can get permission on anymore without paying big money which I refuse to do. Spots like these just get over looked but in reality the chances of taking good bucks there aren't great in my areas. I'll get pictures in the middle of night occasionally and glassing typically yields a couple does and fawns. Don't get me wrong, these hidden gems can be great if you find the right piece but they are just hard to come by. In a better area it might be different.
bucksnbows

Unread postby bucksnbows » Fri Jul 26, 2013 3:46 am

dan wrote:
Sweet Shot 7 wrote:I have buck bedding on my farms that I believe is only used late October and so on when the does start to come in heat.

Thats common everywhere... We could have a thread just about rut bedding to intercept does...

Could you get a thread on that topic started? This thread is awesome info and a rutting farmland bedding thread would be great. Might help with getting on a good byck for those who hunt small properties where they dont have consistent buck bedding.

brink

Unread postby brink » Fri Jul 26, 2013 3:49 am

Sometimes patience and [glow=red]observing[/glow] are the most important keys with small broken woodlot farms.

In my neck of the woods, the corn is already 8-10 feet tall. We are also pretty darn flat. How does one go about observing deer activity under these circumstances?
Whatever is Clever.
Ridgerunner7
500 Club

Unread postby Ridgerunner7 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 3:51 am

Sweet Shot 7 wrote:Do you think maybe we should post some ariels of how we have been successful on farm land. Or a future strategy that you want to employ this upcoming season. I know there is a land management forum but I figured it would be good in this thread. Just an idea. It really helps me seeing it visually!

Here are a couple that I have been successful with in Michigan farm country. Many of these properties hold some sort of water in the form of a creek, river, pond, etc which all create favorable bedding. These are all shared with other hunters, no food plots or habitat manipulation aloud. The majority of the hunting pressure is in the big wood lots, but even the secluded pockets of cover get hit hear hard. If you notice, I try, if possible to put myself in a position where the buck in his bed feels he has the wind in his favor (and he does), but my stand position is located in a spot where he likely won't catch my wind. By putting the wind straight in my face blowing from the expected buck bedding area..I just haven't been quite as successful. With the favorable wind for HIM I've had better luck, but I also get busted more and burn spots out quicker. Outside the rut..this has been my typical set up, or something kinda similar when I know exactly where a buck is bedding or at least a very close guess. If I hadn't known where the buck beds were from scouting..I don't get the kill in these scenarios.

Red: Buck bed/ and travel
Blue: My access and stand placement
Blue Arrow: Wind direction for the hunt
All of these kills were evening sits from Oct 1-Oct 21

In this photo I initially sat in an observation stand (blue X to the South). I spotted a good buck get out of his bed, travel along along a scrape line and circle and scent check the bean field before entering it just after dark. I caught him at the blue X with second of shooting light left. I would've set up closer along the tree line just north of his bed but I would have had to walk through a lot of good bedding to get there (quite possibly bumping several other non target animals). Instead I rolled the dice and accessed along a two track getting in quiet and undetected. It was just enough to catch him in shooting light.

In this photo, the red circle is a water hole deer would hit before entering into the crop field.

Here is an overhead photo of an area that I hunt. I've found/observed good bucks bedding in the red areas but almost all of the hunting pressure is inside the blue areas.

Ridgerunner7
500 Club

Unread postby Ridgerunner7 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:00 am

brink wrote:
Sometimes patience and [glow=red]observing[/glow] are the most important keys with small broken woodlot farms.

In my neck of the woods, the corn is already 8-10 feet tall. We are also pretty darn flat. How does one go about observing deer activity under these circumstances?

Yes, that makes it very hard. Also, under heavy pressure, mature deer won't break visual cover during daylight, so glassing, etc is difficult at best. When I glass I'm often elevated adjacent to bedding cover so I can see into cover better. Or I'll use trail cameras AWAY from my stands and then set up accordingly from the bedding/travel information I scouted in the spring. In the summer I'll glass fields but the mature deer are not typically hitting them in daylight around here once season comes around.
MOBIGBUCKS

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:07 am

Ridgerunner7 wrote:
Sweet Shot 7 wrote:Do you think maybe we should post some ariels of how we have been successful on farm land. Or a future strategy that you want to employ this upcoming season. I know there is a land management forum but I figured it would be good in this thread. Just an idea. It really helps me seeing it visually!

Here are a couple that I have been successful with in Michigan farm country. Many of these properties hold some sort of water in the form of a creek, river, pond, etc which all create favorable bedding. These are all shared with other hunters, no food plots or habitat manipulation aloud. The majority of the hunting pressure is in the big wood lots, but even the secluded pockets of cover get hit hear hard. If you notice, I try, if possible to put myself in a position where the buck in his bed feels he has the wind in his favor (and he does), but my stand position is located in a spot where he likely won't catch my wind. By putting the wind straight in my face blowing from the expected buck bedding area..I just haven't been quite as successful. With the favorable wind for HIM I've had better luck, but I also get busted more and burn spots out quicker. Outside the rut..this has been my typical set up, or something kinda similar when I know exactly where a buck is bedding or at least a very close guess. If I hadn't known where the buck beds were from scouting..I don't get the kill in these scenarios.

Red: Buck bed/ and travel
Blue: My access and stand placement
Blue Arrow: Wind direction for the hunt
All of these kills were evening sits from Oct 1-Oct 21

In this photo I initially sat in an observation stand (blue X to the South). I spotted a good buck get out of his bed, travel along along a scrape line and circle and scent check the bean field before entering it just after dark. I caught him at the blue X with second of shooting light left. I would've set up closer along the tree line just north of his bed but I would have had to walk through a lot of good bedding to get there (quite possibly bumping several other non target animals). Instead I rolled the dice and accessed along a two track getting in quiet and undetected. It was just enough to catch him in shooting light.

In this photo, the red circle is a water hole deer would hit before entering into the crop field.

Here is an overhead photo of an area that I hunt. I've found/observed good bucks bedding in the red areas but almost all of the hunting pressure is inside the blue areas.

Excellent examples Andy!! You are one heck of a hunter my friend!!
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:13 am

brink wrote:

Its certainly not doable every where... I believe I was referring to CRP bedding.
brink

Unread postby brink » Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:33 am

10-4. I was kind of speed reading and didn't catch the distinction between CRP and ag bedding.
Whatever is Clever.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”