Entrance to bed

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Bigdaddy-yoyo
500 Club

Entrance to bed

Unread postby Bigdaddy-yoyo » Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:36 pm

have a bed that is a west wind bed, Buck comes in with the wind to his back and does a half circle to his bed.

There is a trail to the Northwest. Do you think he exits out of his bed that way or goes back out the way he came in in the morning?

I guess my answer would be to keep the bed safe he exits the way he came in and the NW trail is how he enters on that wind.

Any Thoughts?

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Entrance to bed

Unread postby dan » Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:35 pm

Depends on the type and placement of the bed. Sign should show you the direction he leaves the bed though... if all the sign leaves into the wind, thats the direction he is going.
Bigdaddy-yoyo
500 Club

Unread postby Bigdaddy-yoyo » Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:16 pm

I believe this buck is leaving the way he came in......It just got me thinking about his bed and other beds.

Do you think a deers instinct tells him not to muddy up that bed by going out to the east ......or South East or South , if he doesn't stay there on those winds.

Say there is 3 days in a row of west wind. He would compromise the bed if he left out in those winds other than leaving into a west wind. If that is his primary west wind Bed.

I guess my question is..........Do they think or instinct like that?

Does that make sense ?.......not sure I am explaining it right
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:14 am

I think your off... I believe a buck heads towards where food, water, or love take him... He might be more hesitant on days with a differing wind, but heading that way just the same... However, there is a typical type of farm country bed that does kind of support your theory.
Bucks often bed on the edge of a field they feed in by walking into the wind , just into the trees on the edge of the field, J-hook to the edge and look out over the field with wind to back, then in the evening get up walk into the field they have been watching and feed till dark... That can be one of the hardest patterns to kill a buck on that there is...
cwoods
500 Club

Unread postby cwoods » Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:34 am

Bucks often bed on the edge of a field they feed in by walking into the wind , just into the trees on the edge of the field, J-hook to the edge and look out over the field with wind to back, then in the evening get up walk into the field they have been watching and feed till dark... That can be one of the hardest patterns to kill a buck on that there is...[/quote]

I'm hunting a buck that is doing this and this spring I found one of his beds. I've finally got a good game plan to get an opportunity at him and turns out the field is tobacco this year. :handgestures-thumbdown:
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:25 pm

Short growth crop fields aren't the only place bucks approach and bed like this. I often find them bedding in various types of bogs in the same manner. They cross the short bush blueberrie bogs, for example, into the wind before hooking into their bed on the edge of the woods. If there is a lone tree or two, or a small pocket of brush in the bog on the upwind side, the buck will likely bed there. I first discovered this snow tracking a couple of bucks to their bed and managed to get a visual on one when he jumped out. They bed with the wind to their back and watch their approach trail downwind and across the bog.

Sounds like an interesting bed to hunt bigdaddy. 8-)
phade
500 Club

Unread postby phade » Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:50 pm

dan wrote:I think your off... I believe a buck heads towards where food, water, or love take him... He might be more hesitant on days with a differing wind, but heading that way just the same... However, there is a typical type of farm country bed that does kind of support your theory.
Bucks often bed on the edge of a field they feed in by walking into the wind , just into the trees on the edge of the field, J-hook to the edge and look out over the field with wind to back, then in the evening get up walk into the field they have been watching and feed till dark... That can be one of the hardest patterns to kill a buck on that there is...

I run into this so often in farm country. I find it more common in the small broken woodlots and hedgerows than cropland mixed with larger wood parcels.
http://www.pursuitoutdoors.com
Trail Camera Sales, Industry Updates, and Cam Troubleshooting - PM for HB pricing
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:42 am

If you keep in mind the main elements of a buck; bed, food, water, survival and reproduction. If you keep in mind these things you can often figure out a way to kill the buck.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”