OK I admit it, I dont scout enough

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Uncle Lou

OK I admit it, I dont scout enough

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:54 am

I have been talking with a couple BEASTs, and seeing more on here that have been scouting like mad men. First, I hope you guys score a good buck for your efforts.

This is the one thing I just don't do enough. I have been looking for beds and other sign during turkey season, and berry picking, and other outdoors activities, even during deer season. I fully understand the scout, scout, hunt mentality.

I just got a camera and haven't gotten serious with it, been putting it in a nearby private spot adjacent to a public piece I hunt. I also don't spend enough time with maps. As a former geologist, my first career revolved around maps and I just don't do as much with them as I could to get better. I mostly pull up air photos.

I have been keeping tabs on bumped deer for the last few years, but not even a consistent journal. I have started so many times, just never stayed with it.

OK I feel better about admitting my known faults, I am sure there are more. But at least by writing it here maybe I will embarrass myself into doing something about it.

Anyone else, want to share what you are not doing, or you want to leave me standing with my eyes closed in that church my friend invited me to a while back and when I opened my eyes, I was the only one standing.

Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
GRUD
500 Club

Re: OK I admit it, I dont scout enough

Unread postby GRUD » Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:02 am

I only got out to scout one day this spring. It would be nice to really put in the time and learn a bunch of new areas. That being said, I still have confidence I will have opportunities at some good bucks this fall. I dont have a target animal yet but plan to do some observation stands the week leading up to the opener. Knowing what to do and having the time are two different things. Also, relying on all of my scouting from previous seasons give me an advantage. So dont sweat it if life just doesnt cooperate some years and just hunt smart and hard.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:25 am

Hard scouting pays off for some but for others it can burn you out and make a fun passion into work. Double edged sword sometimes.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
Crazinamatese

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:53 am

I don't scout much either. I get out a few times in the spring time and thats about it.
The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!
Ridgerunner7
500 Club

Unread postby Ridgerunner7 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:34 am

I enjoy scouting almost as much as hunting. I actually love it. I choose scouting over fishing, golf, lake time, etc 90% of the time because is just my preference. It's not just prep for me, it's also a stress reliever for me and just makes me a happier person all around. Right now my scouting has slowed some but will pick up again very soon.

Maple_Ridge

Unread postby Maple_Ridge » Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:45 am

You must have been sleeping standing up then! Lol

Yep......its called life. And sometimes like it or not, other things get in the way of scouting.

I made it out 3-4 times in the spring. Nothing since then. I did write everything down in my hunting journal.....i have a horrible memory. Other than that.....i have been scouting from the truck probably 3-4 nights a week. Its been a very busy summer

1 John 2:15 - read it
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:05 pm

Couple things come into play here. If you have the time and energy scout as much as you want. If your time and energy levels aren't up to snuff, back off. It is supposed to be fun, not a job. I incorporate my scouting with other things to not suffer burn out.

If I need to go somewhere I might take the long way, do some glassing, do some looking. Keeping it fun is key. I'm not going out in 95 degree weather and wade through bugs. My cameras can look for me in this type of weather. So I could scout way more than I do. I just chose to scout more when when convenient.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
cwoods
500 Club

Unread postby cwoods » Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:36 pm

My scouting hasn't been up to par this year either. I will count on past experience, summer glassing, and in season scouting to get it done this year.
Buck Clark
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id ... ef=tn_tnmn

Unread postby Buck Clark » Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:43 pm

I moved right before Christmas last year back to an area that I moved away from 10 years ago. So I know some spots, but I wish I could have gotten out to scout more than I did this past Spring, which was only twice. Life gets in the way sometimes, although I did find 2 really good stand sites near solid bedding areas and one killer rut stand! Only because I was familiar with the area from before, though!

I also just acquired 2 private farms to hunt on that are totally new to me, not sure if anybody else is hunting either one of them, but I know both areas hold plenty of deer. I will probably hit those in the early "doe only" September archery season, as I'm sure I will have activity along the field edges there before dark...spotting buck activity on late Summer inventory forays may change this plan, however!
The situation is not the problem...how you handle the situation is the problem!
Ridgerunner7
500 Club

Unread postby Ridgerunner7 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:48 pm

Stanley wrote:Couple things come into play here. If you have the time and energy scout as much as you want. If your time and energy levels aren't up to snuff, back off. It is supposed to be fun, not a job. I incorporate my scouting with other things to not suffer burn out.

If I need to go somewhere I might take the long way, do some glassing, do some looking. Keeping it fun is key. I'm not going out in 95 degree weather and wade through bugs. My cameras can look for me in this type of weather. So I could scout way more than I do. I just chose to scout more when when convenient.

Great point. Have to keep it fun. I wouldn't do it nearly as much if I didn't enjoy it.

dirt nap giver

Unread postby dirt nap giver » Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:16 pm

After the crazy work load of last year and going into the season without having done adequate homework, I bumped it up this year. Going out Monday and Tuesday to set in observation stands.
Some years are busy and that's ok. That's life!

hard work trumps talent, when talent fails to work hard
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:28 pm

Scouting is enjoyable to me, a walk through the woods is a great stress reliever. If I don't get out for a few weeks I start to get a little stir crazy.

whitetail007
500 Club

Unread postby whitetail007 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:44 pm

I hit it hard for awhile this spring and found 5 good beds.
I BELIEVE IN PEACE.........THROUGH SUPERIOR FIREPOWER!
magicman54494
500 Club

Unread postby magicman54494 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:29 pm

I don't scout enough either. there just isn't enough time. heck I only went bowhunting a few times last year. I just need to win the lottery........

gjs4
500 Club

Unread postby gjs4 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:52 pm

I enjoy scouting at least as much as hunting.... And have scouted tons most every year of my life. Wasn't scouting smart for the longest time and still have moments of where I am peaking for sign it watching deer more than assembling the big picture from the pieces in front of me. Less public and less traveling (with more time on the family farm than ever before) have shown me that aspects are similar yearly and others are always variable and can be easily over thought. Just my two cents though..... And I will be hanging two new observation stands this week. Lol

Green and growing... Or red and rotting

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”