OK I admit it, I dont scout enough

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

oldrank

Re: OK I admit it, I dont scout enough

Unread postby oldrank » Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:39 am

JoeRE wrote:I think Muddy and Andy nailed it back on page 1...for hard core scouting to really pay off, you have to love it. Otherwise its going to feel like work, and it will just wear you out and you aren't gaining much.

Its also absolutely true that quality beats quantity! I used to be concerned about how many miles I would cover on a scouting trip. Now I might get into an area I don't understand and just sit down and think for a while. More effective than coming back 2 or 3 more times still going at high speed later in the year.

I agree... Quality over quantity. I am not sure how long I've been here now..4 or 5 years or so. I put miles on the first few years. I have so many bedding areas scouted that I've never hunted. I experienced burn out bad 2 years ago. I reevaluated everything and focused last year on only hunting "A" quality spots.. Had a great year. This year some of those "A" spots are now dropping off my list and I am refining again. I don't have to be out stomping through bedding grounds to do this. More cyber scouting and long distance observation than anything.

DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:20 am

Good thread. I agree with the love it/fun part.

I absolutely love scouting new to me ground. And I love running cameras. I get almost as much fun and satisfaction scouting as I do hunting.... and far less pressure. There is a time for quantity (new ground getting lay of the land) verses quality (focusing on where to set up). last year I scouted at least 1 day per week for every single week outside 2 weekends in late spring. I was running 40 plus cameras on 20-25 different WMAs. I had some of the best encounters this year then ever. To me scouting just extends my hunting season to an all year adventure - sure beats TV. My redbone Grace has made scouting even that much more enjoyable as she loves to get out there. I figure at 56 I have perhaps 20 good seasons left in my legs and lungs - so why not make it a year round activity - also helps keep those pounds from reforming around my mid section. Win/Win :) yes its an addiction.
NorthStar
500 Club

Unread postby NorthStar » Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:43 am

I wish I would have known scouting was so much fun when I was younger! I agree with others that scouting is every bit as exciting and educational as the hunt itself. It always comes down to time for me. House projects, work, kids, car problems, etc. are trying to compete with my deer hunting but this is just life!
“The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.”
‭‭Proverbs‬ ‭12:27‬ ‭NIV‬‬
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:46 am

I love scouting as well.

Two things I need to do better are possibly hanging cameras like DaveT mentioned and observation sits. I'm hesitant to hang cameras on public because I don't want to donate them to the local scumbag thieves.

I was listening to a hunting podcast when I picked up my daughter and she was like, "but the season just ended." To which I responded the new one started Monday. :D
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:49 am

greenhorndave wrote:I love scouting as well.

Two things I need to do better are possibly hanging cameras like DaveT mentioned and observation sits. I'm hesitant to hang cameras on public because I don't want to donate them to the local scumbag thieves.

I was listening to a hunting podcast when I picked up my daughter and she was like, "but the season just ended." To which I responded the new one started Monday. :D

It does happen but with a little forethought and selection where you put them not too often (at least I have been pretty lucky here). Even a stolen camera give you some intel - other hunters are in the area :)
may21581
500 Club

Unread postby may21581 » Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:02 am

DaveT1963 wrote:

It does happen but with a little forethought and selection where you put them not too often (at least I have been pretty lucky here). Even a stolen camera give you some intel - other hunters are in the area :)

Best advice I can give is to hang them atleast 2 sticks high. Never had one stolen when I did this. Only time mine got jacked was when I was too lazy to carry my sticks and thought those spots were ok and didnt get many hunters. I guess I didnt need pictures to figure this spot out. So quick question. I know a thief who steals a camera is a scumbag. So what is a thief who steals your sd card and leaves the camera? Are they half scumbag or viewed as equals. I had this happen to me as well.
"Failure is the price for entry for achieving something great"
mauser06
500 Club

Unread postby mauser06 » Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:30 am

I will "play along" and admit something I really need to change.

I have public from 5mins to infinity from my house. The 5min piece for whatever reason doesn't have the sign I thought it would. I spent several days out there last spring and just didn't see anything exciting. Actually think I only marked 1 buck bed in a few days.

So, I travel to other places. I get into deer and good bucks. But due to the drive, I don't get to hunt before work (I typically work 3-11).

I am surrounded by some fantastic private land. A lot of absolutely nasty stuff that I am sure other guys aren't hitting. I'm sure they are hunting field edges of the open woods.

I need to knock on some doors and get permission on the private in the local area.

My thought is rut hunts. Even if it's a couple hours in the morning...or I sleep in and hunt a couple hours mid morning before work...I think it could be a huge asset.

I just hate "bothering" people...even though a lot of the areas I've looked at are enrolled in a land access program....

I need to do it....just haven't.
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:33 am

may21581 wrote:
DaveT1963 wrote:

Best advice I can give is to hang them atleast 2 sticks high. Never had one stolen when I did this. Only time mine got jacked was when I was too lazy to carry my sticks and thought those spots were ok and didnt get many hunters. I guess I didnt need pictures to figure this spot out. So quick question. I know a thief who steals a camera is a scumbag. So what is a thief who steals your sd card and leaves the camera? Are they half scumbag or viewed as equals. I had this happen to me as well.

Good tip on the Hang Em High.

And they're still full scumbags.
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
may21581
500 Club

Unread postby may21581 » Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:41 am

greenhorndave wrote:
may21581 wrote:
DaveT1963 wrote:

That was my exact thought too.

Good tip on the Hang Em High.

And they're still full scumbags.
"Failure is the price for entry for achieving something great"
DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:05 pm

even better, what do you call the guy that leaves your camera and card but formats the card? Someone that didn't like their pic taken lol
Findian
500 Club

Unread postby Findian » Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:36 pm

DaveT1963 wrote:even better, what do you call the guy that leaves your camera and card but formats the card? Someone that didn't like their pic taken lol

I’m thinking Bigfoot. This is Why we have not been able to get him on trail cameras? He’s a clever beast.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Tue Apr 09, 2024 9:48 pm

This is actually a pretty good post... It really made me realize that not everyone thinks the same, or has the same goals. For me, I want to be as aggressive as possible and get as good of results as I can, but as I age I realize there are some things other than hunting that are also somewhat important...
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Thu Apr 11, 2024 1:07 pm

dan wrote:This is actually a pretty good post... It really made me realize that not everyone thinks the same, or has the same goals. For me, I want to be as aggressive as possible and get as good of results as I can, but as I age I realize there are some things other than hunting that are also somewhat important...

I remember when I first found your original channel and started getting pumped about hunting all the public land around here. Getting poked in the eyes nonstop out in the swamps, going over my boots, scouting more than I truly enjoyed. Then I realized, dan is nuts. So now I am finally at peace, back to accepting being a subpar hunter. It is my recreational outlet, and I do it as much as I can. Dang, I want to go elk hunting again.
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”