How to get him out?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
Treeshark

Re: How to get him out?

Unread postby Treeshark » Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:26 am

MOBIGBUCKS, I can almost feel the relief you must have felt as you hopped into your truck after that drag. Been there, done that. There is no better tasting beer on the planet than the one enjoyed after the "death march."

That cart pic is great, muddy- that's doin' work! :D

Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:31 am

cwoods wrote:MOBIGBUCKS, man that is one heck of a story. Pics are a must after that. Heck after reading I now need a beer!

X2! Great determination Mobigbucks!!
Gibby
500 Club

Unread postby Gibby » Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:34 am

I use the Quad but I hunt mostly private land, I have used a fridge cart in the past to get a buck out and that worked ok at the time
Been thinking about picking up something like this for Moose Hunting since I am not getting any younger
[bbvideo=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAyM8GeeK44[/bbvideo]
MOBIGBUCKS

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:01 am

Treeshark wrote:MOBIGBUCKS, I can almost feel the relief you must have felt as you hopped into your truck after that drag. Been there, done that. There is no better tasting beer on the planet than the one enjoyed after the "death march."

That cart pic is great, muddy- that's doin' work! :D
cwoods wrote:MOBIGBUCKS, man that is one heck of a story. Pics are a must after that. Heck after reading I now need a beer!

Here is the Buck guys. This is my avatar buck.

The next day...

Here is the infamous cart in which I'm not a fan...A lot of people like this cart but I think it's flawed.

Man, if I never needed a beer it was after that night....The next afternoon I celebrated that crazy drag out.
cwoods
500 Club

Unread postby cwoods » Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:10 am

Man what a brute mobigbucks!

So far I like Stan's method of a tractor with a front end loader best. :lol:
Brad

Unread postby Brad » Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:18 am

I think that bottom picture of Muddys cart is one of my all time beast favorites! I remember when he posted the stories and the whole time I was thinking to myself how the heck is he getting those all out!

[ Post made via Android ] Image
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:28 am

Brad wrote:how the heck is he getting those all out!

Brute force and ignorance. I may not always be a pleasure to be around, but I'm a good dragger.
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:16 pm

You guys go though a lot more work than I would to drag out a deer miles back...I would just quarter it and pack it out. A lot easier IMO - it might take just as long but you won't be as wore out I promise! I understand some places might not legally allow that tho. Most of the places I hunt are too hilly for a deer cart to do much good but I have used them were possible.
cwoods
500 Club

Unread postby cwoods » Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:23 pm

Lots of good stories being shared. Good stuff guys.
bowhunter15
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/DIY-Spor ... 3136327062

Unread postby bowhunter15 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:28 pm

muddy wrote:
Brad wrote:how the heck is he getting those all out!

Brute force and ignorance. I may not always be a pleasure to be around, but I'm a good dragger.

:lol:
Dhurtubise
500 Club
Facebook: dhurtubise

Unread postby Dhurtubise » Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:22 pm

muddy wrote:After being stood up or ignored by buddies I bought a cart. Blood sweat and tears get me my bucks, same stuff gets them out.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Muddy that cart looks loaded! Must have been a great day!

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:40 pm

I use to drag them.

Lost a rear quarter once on a buck I drug 4.5 miles out of a public swamp. Wore right through the hide, skin, meat, almost to the bone. Took a pic but it didn't turn out, you couldn't really see anything(disposable camera). This was a pic of me with the buck when I finally got back to camp around 2am, drag began at 5:15pm...

Now I use a cart.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
Bigb
500 Club

Unread postby Bigb » Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:52 pm

MOBIGBUCKS wrote:
Treeshark wrote:MOBIGBUCKS, I can almost feel the relief you must have felt as you hopped into your truck after that drag. Been there, done that. There is no better tasting beer on the planet than the one enjoyed after the "death march."

Here is the infamous cart in which I'm not a fan...A lot of people like this cart but I think it's flawed.

Man, if I never needed a beer it was after that night....The next afternoon I celebrated that crazy drag out.

I will second that about the cart! We have one and it is brutal to use, especially for us taller folks. You basically have to bend down to pull it. We bought a couple Glenns deer handles this year and going to try those. Were going to add about 3 feet of rope to them and see how they work. Since I hunt with my buddy most of the time, I usually have help. I try and hit the gym 5 days a week and when I need a little motivation I think of those drags up hill at 7 PM when its pitch black out.

I shot a doe in college in Kansas and did not realize how far it was off the road. I wasn't much of a deer hunter back then and din't think about the drag out. Dropped her in a corn field but had a mile drag back to my Blazer. Made it about 100 yards and called my roommate. He didn't hunt, didn't fish but he was happy to help. It took a good hour and a half to get that deer out but well worth it. I had called my dad right after she went down and left a VM. He said the VM was the most excited he ever heard me.

I'lll tell you what, I shot that deer on a Saturday night and picked up a 12 pack in the way back. That beer was one of the top 10 beers I've ever had in my life. Tasted like barley, hops and victory.
mibowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mibowhunter » Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:10 pm

Some good stories/pics in this thread!! Makes me tired just thinking about dragging out a big ol' buck from deep in a marsh/woods. I have shot the majority of my deer on private property, where a short drag gets them to a field edge, and I just drive up to them and throw them on... but the last few years I've been hunting more and more public, and laugh if you want, but i've turned in to a p90x junkie out of fear! I can't imagine how draining it would be dragging a big ol' buck out from deep in a cattail marsh, so I'm preparing myself! :)
Last edited by Anonymous on Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Meant to quote, hit edit instead
cwoods
500 Club

Unread postby cwoods » Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:26 pm

mibowhunter wrote:Some good stories/pics in this thread!! Makes me tired just thinking about dragging out a big ol' buck from deep in a marsh/woods. I have shot the majority of my deer on private property, where a short drag gets them to a field edge, and I just drive up to them and throw them on... but the last few years I've been hunting more and more public, and laugh if you want, but i've turned in to a p90x junkie out of fear! I can't imagine how draining it would be dragging a big ol' buck out from deep in a cattail marsh, so I'm preparing myself! :)

Better to be prepared for that day than not. Hats off on putting in the work for with the p90x.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”