Hunting a spot for the 1st time

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Edcyclopedia

Re: Hunting a spot for the 1st time

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Sat Jul 13, 2013 12:43 pm

Stanley wrote:For me if an area doesn't have thick cover I look for an area that does. I'm not big on open terrain hunting. I have never seen a good buck live/bed in an open area. I have seen some bucks sequestered with does in open areas. This happens during the peak of the rut. This is just chance though. The bucks came from thickets to get to those areas.

When I look at an area form the computer I look for trees and thickets. Then I look for other terrain features, hills, ditches, ridges, benches, saddles, bottlenecks. I try to eliminate non productive areas and go from there. It is easy to eliminate open fields, ponds, lakes, rivers, steep bluffs, roads, rail road tracks, things like this.

It is impossible to pinpoint the exact location of where a buck is living/bedding without laying eyes on that buck (cyber scouting). You can certainly pinpoint good looking areas and areas that could/should hold bucks. This where glassing, trail cameras, shining, observation stands, come into place. There is no better intel than eyes on the subject.

I personally think being aggressive is a great attribute when going in blind. Unfortunately I'm more geared up for low impact type hunting. I'm not a gambler, but like the sure/best bet, so to speak. Sometimes being more aggressive can lead to success. I think Dan is an aggressive type hunter. I'm sure he would be better suited to go in blind and be successful than a more passive hunter like myself. Great topic.

Good stuff Stan!

Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Sat Jul 13, 2013 12:44 pm

Bucky wrote:If it doesn't hold cover.... I'm typically not a fan. The cover can be close and if the topography is right I will still hunt...

If you got 14 days... sit it day #1 and see what happens. [glow=red][glow=red]There is typically a spot within the spot that is best... overtime you can find that spot by instinct/learned whitetail behavior[/glow][/glow]

:handgestures-thumbupleft:
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
MOBIGBUCKS

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Sat Jul 13, 2013 2:12 pm

I think it would be best to identify the likely bedding areas on your maps first and foremost. I'm a big proponent of using observation stands and this would be the tactic I would use for the first couple days of your hunt. Why rush in and possibly blow deer out of a possible bedding area that wasn't easily identified on your map? Sit back and watch a couple different target areas and then make your move on the best one that is easiest to enter/exit. By watching the area first, you can ascertain if the area is too thick (no such thing to me :D ) or too open to hold the target deer you are after.
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Sun Jul 14, 2013 1:14 am

Funnels close to suspected buck bedding. Killed several good bucks without scouting by hunting these spots. I have done it just about every way, hunting 2+ miles from the truck to get to 'unpressured' spots and also hunting within 1/4 mile from the truck and killing bucks between other guys.

If you know the buck bedding tendencies for certain terrain, you can key in on that in new areas with similar terrain.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
Redman232

Unread postby Redman232 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:10 am

I would personally do some observation sits. If that's not an option (many of my out of town hunts are reduction hunts that last 2 days) I wait until first light to walk in, even if I have a good idea where I want to go from cyber scouting/topos, just in case I come across great sign or deer I wouldn't be able to see before day light.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”