stalking fighting bucks

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Maple_Ridge

stalking fighting bucks

Unread postby Maple_Ridge » Sat Jul 13, 2013 1:38 am

I keep thinking back to last fall.

I am in a stand just bordering a thick MFR area, still in the timber though. I am on the edge of this MFR and can hear two bucks fighting at about 11 am late oct./early nov.

From all the racket I can hear, it sound like a couple hawgs, like louisville sluggers crackin. These are no little fellas. Sounds like they are about 80 yards or so away, but its so thick I cannot see em. They fight on and off before its silent about 10-15 min. Later.

I keep hoping one will slip over my way. I did try grunting a little with no positive results.

Here is my question, has anyone, ever attempted to get down and stalk through for a shot opportunity? May sound crazy, but that went through my mind. I figured that the risk was greater spooking them than to get a shot off accurately.

So would it be crazy/dangerous to attempt this?

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Last edited by Maple_Ridge on Sat Jul 13, 2013 1:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

1 John 2:15 - read it
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Re: stalking fighting bucks

Unread postby Stanley » Sat Jul 13, 2013 1:56 am

I stalked a couple of fighting bucks in the mid 80s. I was so thick were they were fighting I couldn't get an arrow off. They then broke apart and that was the end of it. A friend of mine stalked two bucks in a corn field and arrowed one of them that was back in the early 80s. I would not hesitate to do it again.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Dhurtubise
500 Club
Facebook: dhurtubise

Unread postby Dhurtubise » Sat Jul 13, 2013 1:57 am

Sounds like something I would do. I couldn't stand not being able to see them through all the ruckus.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Sat Jul 13, 2013 9:29 am

I would try it BUT....every fight I have ever heard lasted for less that 30 seconds. I know a few last longer but based on my observations the vast majority are very short so most of the time you can't move in on them fast enough. If I were to try to sneak in I would bring the horns and grunt tube with me...whichever buck wins might be still looking for a fight. I have called in buck fight winners on two occasions while on stand - but failed to call them in a number of other times too.

Its crazy how loud it is when two big bucks fight in earnest isn't it? It makes you realize there is no way we can replicate a real knock down drag out fight by banging a couple of sheds together!
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Sat Jul 13, 2013 12:48 pm

I have a good buddy (very large man that was drafted to the Philadelphia Eagles) that videoed 2 bucks fighting and said he was wary of getting too close...
If you do it BE Careful!!!
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
Maple_Ridge

Unread postby Maple_Ridge » Sat Jul 13, 2013 1:34 pm

Yes joe, it is crazy the amount of brute force and power that is burnt up on buck fights. I would have loved to seen this battle, sure sounded like nothing would be left in that area, trees included. And it seemed longer than 30 seconds. They would haul off and hit each other, smash antlers for 10-15 seconds, then about a minute later do it again. This was repeated about 5-8 times. Thats what had me thinkin I might be able to get down and closer, even though I did not.

It was private ground, so no chance that it was another hunter.

1 John 2:15 - read it
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Sat Jul 13, 2013 2:39 pm

Maple_Ridge wrote:Yes joe, it is crazy the amount of brute force and power that is burnt up on buck fights. I would have loved to seen this battle, sure sounded like nothing would be left in that area, trees included. And it seemed longer than 30 seconds. They would haul off and hit each other, smash antlers for 10-15 seconds, then about a minute later do it again. This was repeated about 5-8 times. Thats what had me thinkin I might be able to get down and closer, even though I did not.

It was private ground, so no chance that it was another hunter.

If it lasted that long maybe you would have a chance of getting close...I have seen videos of much longer buck fights just never seen a long one in person. The first fight, and still by far the most intense, I ever saw was between a huge buck and another buck that had about the same size body but smaller rack when I was 17. I snort wheezed the smaller buck in and then the huge one came in from behind me while I was getting ready to draw on the smaller one...I became completely unglued and didn't even remember I had a bow in my hands when the two locked eyes, thinking each other had done the snort wheeze I suppose, and charged each other 35 yards from me....the huge buck flipped the other one on its back in a few seconds....that one scrambled up and took off with the bigger buck hot after it, I never saw either again. I could have gotten a shot at both bucks as they stood looking at each other for a few seconds before that fight - if I could have somehow kept my cool - but I wouldn't have traded seeing that for anything in hindsight!
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Sun Jul 14, 2013 12:39 am

I ran down a few bucks that were corralling some does in a thicket and arrowed one. All of the commotion they were making I just ran up as close as I could while grunting with my mouth. After I shot the one buck several larger continued to chase the does around me.

So, yes I would try it if I heard two bucks fighting and I knew the area well enough to feel that I could get close.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”