2013 "RUT DATES"

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

PK_
500 Club

Re: 2013 "RUT DATES"

Unread postby PK_ » Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:44 am

I put my money on the mean conception dates for the areas I hunt, which have been nearly identical for over a decade. We have the longest most drawn out rut in the country, but the true 'peak' is always the same every year for each area ranging from July-January.

Having said that, I do find the rut predictions entertaining each year.

No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:30 am

[quote="PalmettoKid"]
"I put my money on the mean conception dates for the areas I hunt, which have been nearly identical for over a decade."

"I do find the rut predictions entertaining each year."

Exactly same as me! I have friends that actually wait for the rut predictions to be released to plan vacation each year.

I know for the last 9 years the rut has been the best during Nov 10-17 where I hunt. I will go one step further and say (outside of late summer) the BIGGEST bucks I see each year are late Nov early Dec.
Bigb
500 Club

Unread postby Bigb » Sun Jul 07, 2013 9:23 am

I read somewhere that some people were "Predicting" a later rut this year, the peak being November 4th to 20th. It doesn't change my vacation days at all though. I'm getting married in Mexico October 27th but the weekend after I'll be in the woods for two days then taking off work (again) and in the woods the 5th through 10th. I feel that the first 10 days in November is the best time to be in the woods. Last year from the 1st to the 10th we were seeing all sorts of deer movement even with 40 acres of corn up in our valleys which brought down deer sightings. The cameras we had in the corn were just full of deer but very tough to hunt those valleys. This year with all Beans i'm expecting a little bit better movement.
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Sun Jul 07, 2013 1:40 pm

backstraps wrote:
Rutting Moon being Oct 29

I think that was last year (rutting moon the 29th)? This years full moons are Oct 19th and Nov 17th this year. I believe Oct 19th is supposed to be the rutting moon...I have observed a general correlation between daytime rutting movement and Charles' predictions tho that I can't explain to myself by moon overhead/underfoot. I expect older bucks to be on thier feet more than usual for a few days after the 19th of October...depending on weather which is vastly more important than moon IMO. 80 Degree weather will kill daylight rutting movement.

I agree everyone should keep in mind the difference between peak breeding and peak daylight rutting movement. They are related but different factors effect each as mentioned already.
UntouchableNess
500 Club

Unread postby UntouchableNess » Sun Jul 07, 2013 1:59 pm

dan wrote:The rut is at the same time every year...

Yes.
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Sun Jul 07, 2013 2:03 pm

JoeRE wrote:
backstraps wrote:
Rutting Moon being Oct 29

I think that was last year (rutting moon the 29th)? This years full moons are Oct 19th and Nov 17th this year. I believe Oct 19th is supposed to be the rutting moon...I have observed a general correlation between daytime rutting movement and Charles' predictions tho that I can't explain to myself by moon overhead/underfoot. I expect older bucks to be on thier feet more than usual for a few days after the 19th of October...depending on weather which is vastly more important than moon IMO. 80 Degree weather will kill daylight rutting movement.

I agree everyone should keep in mind the difference between peak breeding and peak daylight rutting movement. They are related but different factors effect each as mentioned already.

Youre correct, that was my bad typo....OCT 19th
BigHills BuckHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BigHills BuckHunter » Sun Jul 07, 2013 5:07 pm

dan wrote:The rut is at the same time every year... There is no difference in timing. The only variables are weather and moon phase ( o/h - u/f ). Neither change the timing, but both can make or break daytime movement.

The scientifically proven trigger for the rut is the amount of day light in minutes ( length of day )

Deer farms that sell doe in heat urine actually have known this for years and create doe in heat urine before rut to sell by keeping there does indoors and turning on and off the lights at the same timing as the rut sun and dark...

I completly agree with this. On our farm the last 4 years have had the same type of rutting activity at about the same time. Our best dates to kill a mature buck are October 25th thru October 30th. November is overated for the area I hunt IMO.
clydejr8

Unread postby clydejr8 » Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:23 am

According to Alsheimer the rutting moon is Nov. 17 with prime seeking/chasing Nov. 13-23 and prime breeding window Nov. 19- Dec. 3. According to Vale best rut hunting days is the dark period which falls this year from Oct 28-Nov 6 and the best day being Nov 6 cuz the moon is in perigee and falls inside the dark period.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:48 am

Take off and hunt every day from Oct 25th-Nov 15th and you will hit a handful of great hunting days. :-)

[ Post made via Android ] Image
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
BigHills BuckHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BigHills BuckHunter » Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:53 am

Bucky wrote:Take off and hunt every day from Oct 25th-Nov 15th and you will hit a handful of great hunting days. :-)

Very well said Bucky. 8-)

Just hunt.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Mon Jul 08, 2013 5:00 am

Bucky wrote:Take off and hunt every day from Oct 25th-Nov 15th and you will hit a handful of great hunting days. :-)

:handgestures-thumbup:
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”