Iowa Zone 9 Question

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

binney59
500 Club

Iowa Zone 9 Question

Unread postby binney59 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:14 am

Hi, I posted this on archery talk but would like the beat prospective as well.

I just found out that I will be archery hunting zone 9 this year (NE) and have an opportunity to either lease up some land or hunt public and wanted to hear your thoughts? The lease would be in the $1,500 range and is on a great parcel that is about 400 acres and maybe 150 of which is wooded and would be bowhunted by one other guy. As tempting as it is, I know zone 9 has a lot of public land that holds a lot of great deer. I was initially very excited about the opportunity to tag a public land buck but after spending this much on a tag I would hate to have my hunt ruined by squirrel hunters or other hunters walking past during prime time which is a possibility on public land. Due to work and 3 young children at home, I will not have tons of time to get down there to scout and will probably be able to hunt two 3-4 day stints. If I hunted public I would probably focus in on the Coon Creek area but would be open to others as well. I will be hunting out of my lone wolf hang on or climber in either scenario but with the lease I would be able to know bedding areas and travel routes ahead of time since the other person has hunted the parcel for several years. Any insight is appreciated!

UntouchableNess
500 Club

Re: Iowa Zone 9 Question

Unread postby UntouchableNess » Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:34 am

Lots of public up there that is extremely rugged (compared to most of Iowa). I would think you should have good luck on public if you get off the beaten path. Zone 9 produces lots of the top bucks in the state. I'd save the money on the lease and spend it instead for gas and lodging for many visits over the course of the season.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:43 am

My advice and I hunt Zone 9 Allamakee county. There is a lot of public in that zone. As long as you aren't shot gun hunting you might be ok. Those public parcels get pounded during shot gun season. There is plenty of Public in Allamakee, Clayton, Winneshiek, Fayette. That said it is hill country and if you are used to flat land you will struggle. I would get Dan's DVD Hill Country and his Marsh DVD those will help you immensely (no kidding).

Another point to make, early season (October 1st through the 21st) public has very little pressure. The rut is when those public spots get hit the most. November 1st - November 20th is big time rut period. Those counties also have the option of asking farmers that hate deer, they will let you hunt for free. It all takes time and effort though. The lease is a good option if you don't have the time to find a good free spot. There is a price to pay for anything we do. It may be monetary or it may be time and effort.

I hate to tell you what to do, but have given you some options on maybe what to do. Hope this helps you out.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
binney59
500 Club

Unread postby binney59 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:59 am

Thank you both for the replies. Well put Stanley, I appreciate your first hand insight into the area. I own both of Dan's DVDs and am familiar with the terrain of the area, my mother grew up in Decorah. I have some old contacts in the area that I am going to track down but am nervous that I won't have the time to give the hunt its due justice.

I like the idea of the early October dates, I am certainly going to plan one hunt for early in the year- regardless of public or private. I am focusing in on public in WI for this year- even going to hunt some marshes which I never considered before Marsh Bucks DVD- and feel that I might hone my skills a little more on public before I go all in with such an expensive tag. I am going to make a few more phone calls to some family contact in the area but am leaning towards private access since time will be so limited. Either way, I will be posting maps for Beast input!
Thanks for your help guys!
Dor
500 Club
Facebook: Chris Dornack

Unread postby Dor » Thu Jun 27, 2013 5:43 am

Let me know if you need any input on your areas. I have hunted that zone a half dozen years or so. Public can be crowded and access to private is a lot tougher these days. Keep your expectations realistic. There definitely isnt a booner behind every tree. That said I was able to take decent PY caliber bucks every year I hunted there on public with biggest being just shy of 150.

Call The Footed Shaft to order Kwik-Straps 507-288-7581 or order at the kwik-strap.com

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”