Your favorite river bottom states (public)

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

cwoods
500 Club

Your favorite river bottom states (public)

Unread postby cwoods » Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:39 pm

Interested in good river bottom hunting on public land. I'm not looking for gps coordinates or even the counties. I'm interested in what your favorite state is for river bottom hunting w/ public access.

Southern Man
500 Club

Re: Your favorite river bottom states (public)

Unread postby Southern Man » Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:09 am

Any of the states bordering the Mississippi river. My favorite is KY, but I live there :mrgreen:

No kiddin, as far as the size of deer goes, it seems the areas along the Mississippi and Ohio rivers traditionally had the largest body and antler size. Although in the last 10 years or so, the lands farther and farther away from those rivers are catching up. That might be different in other states, I don't know. Maybe it's because our deer herd hasn't been around as long compared states up north. But long ago if you wanted big deer, you went close to the rivers. If you live close to an area like that, go to some taxidermy shops after gun season and take a look at what's been brought in. That might give you an idea where the bigger deer roam, generally speaking.
You Can't Argue With A Sick Mind

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”