bottom access hill country

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

kurt

bottom access hill country

Unread postby kurt » Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:23 pm

I was cleaning out a cut yesturday to keep me hidden for my night access and wondering what others do in these suituations

[ Post made via Android ] Image

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: bottom access hill country

Unread postby dan » Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:44 pm

Most of my hill country hunting is on public so I can not clear access or plant cover... I try to have a well planned out access if I have to come in from below. I try to be aware of where all the bedding is, and of that bedding which is most important not to have see or smell my access... I like coming up the ridge within a draw to hide my movements and cause I usually hunt at the tops of draws where the movement is confined.
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:15 am

I use ditches as well as access to the upper parts of hills and ridges a lot. They do make for great entry routes - quiet, concealed, and generally minimal scent laid down for the deer to detect

Another way of looking at it is spots where there is ONLY bottom access often have limited hunting pressure on top because around here the vast majority of hunters are not motivated enough to climb a 2-300 foot bluff. Elevation is an obstacle to hunters just like a swamp or waterway.
kurt

Unread postby kurt » Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:45 pm

heres a pic of some of the work i stacked all of it towards the beds i found earlier. while this was private, correct me if im wrong, but almost everything i cleared was dead and washed down into it and its legal to move and cut fallen logs on public. at least in Wi
kurt

Unread postby kurt » Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:13 pm

i should have took a picture with my new Wicked Saw good job Todd like it
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:19 pm

Yes, you can move dead logs on public, but I don't do it much... it makes it obvious to others where your hunting

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”