Looking for new broadhead

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
PK_
500 Club

Re: Looking for new broadhead

Unread postby PK_ » Sat Jun 22, 2013 2:18 pm

I like muzzy 4 blades.

No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
UntouchableNess
500 Club

Unread postby UntouchableNess » Sat Jun 22, 2013 2:30 pm

I've shot Wasp Jakhammers and Bullets (current head). I've launched a Zwickey black diamond or two for grins and giggles. I shot a slicktrick that was given to me this spring turkey season (killed both birds with it). I have some G5 Montecs. Thinking of buying a half dozen Muzzy heads due to price.

Only head I would totally pan was an Allen WalMart expandable: total junk. That and the punch cut expandables I had back in the '80's. :D
vanceg

Unread postby vanceg » Sat Jun 22, 2013 3:52 pm

QAD Exodus are crazy sharp.
bb70

Unread postby bb70 » Sun Jun 23, 2013 12:27 am

I would suggest a head you feel confident in, solid construction, and flys the same as your field points. As stated, most of the heads on the market are decent. Find one that suits your needs and focus on better shot selection and the heads will do their job.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Sun Jun 23, 2013 1:01 am

Last year I killed 6 with a bow... half Shwacker and half 125 grain chisel tip rage. One I punched through the thin part of scapula on a buck... I shoot a heavier arrow then most at 425 grains with enough speed to push my KE up 70-80 range

"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
cwoods
500 Club

Unread postby cwoods » Sun Jun 23, 2013 1:42 am

Another loyal slick trick user, 100gr standards.

As others have already stated, you have to broadhead tune your bow for accuracy.
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:42 am

PalmettoKid wrote:I like muzzy 4 blades.

Do you find them more difficult to get good groups with than 3 blades - just curious?

Last year I shot 4 blades and they seemed touchier than the 3 blade muzzies I normally shot. I am very picky with my rig to begin with but it took some extra tweaking of my setup to get good groups. I have heard a couple other people mention similar issues that is why I ask.

PS I shot through the center of a mature buck vertebra last year with a 100 gr muzzy. Not between vertebra - right through the center of one. That's over 2" of bone. It was incredible but stupid me did not save the bone and I should have! All three blades were slightly bent but nothing was broken. That is rugged.
keb
500 Club

Unread postby keb » Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:39 am

Fixed blade muzzy, hands down killed more game than anything, it won't let you down and a true value.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
Indianahunter
500 Club

Unread postby Indianahunter » Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:41 am

MOBIGBUCKS wrote:I'm using the QAD Exodus. It is an awesome made broadhead.

X2 Love em!
God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
Romans 5:8
MOBIGBUCKS

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:31 am

I love the ST magnums as well...I've thought about buying the Grizztrick but haven't done it yet. There are lots of good heads out there these days.

Have you guys looked at the price differences though? ST broadheads are less than the most of these and you can sometimes get twice the number of heads for the same money.
JakeJD
500 Club

Unread postby JakeJD » Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:29 am

MOBIGBUCKS wrote:Have you guys looked at the price differences though? ST broadheads are less than the most of these and you can sometimes get twice the number of heads for the same money.

As mentioned by others, there are a ton of good broadheads out there. But...

To me Slick Tricks offer the best quality for at least 30% less money than the competition. Solid steel ferrule and stainless steel blades / retainer ring.
"In the deed, the glory"
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:49 am

Grim reapers are my favorite. I try others and circle back every time. Slick tricks are a close second. Muzzy is the best budget broadhead imho...great deals if you do online auctions during the off season.

RaisedByWolves
500 Club

Unread postby RaisedByWolves » Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:09 am

Currently shooting Muzzy MX3's with no complaints. Also would consider the QAD Exodus, Slicktrick Grizztrick or Magnum
When better is possible, good is never good enough
Bigb
500 Club

Unread postby Bigb » Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:05 pm

Brad Lamont wrote:The best broadhead I have ever used was a slick trick magnum in 100 grains. They are seriously scalpel sharp. I have shot 5 deer with them, 2 died within 40 yards in sight, one was 40 yards and just out of sight, another 75 with a high lung hit and the worst was 100 yards on a gut shot doe that I did recover the next morning. They seem to cut more than the advertised cut, I don't know if its is because of the sharpness or what but they are a wicked little head, and I do not have to adjust my pins out to 40 yards, they fly just like a field point. I am 100% satisfied with them, and compared to a lot of heads they are usually a little cheaper (usually around 25-28 for 3).

Im another Slick Trick Mag guy myself too. Really like the damage they do and fly just field points as well.

Price point isn't too bad but I don't shoot them because they are cheap, I shoot them because of how great of a broadhead they are. Even if they were 50% higher in price I'd still shoot them. I think with some of the big name broad heads you are paying for their marketing as much as the broadhead.
scooters

Unread postby scooters » Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:06 pm

Indianahunter wrote:
MOBIGBUCKS wrote:I'm using the QAD Exodus. It is an awesome made broadhead.

X2 Love em!

X3 very sharp heavier blades than my slick trick vipers.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”