Has anyone used a mountain bike for stand access

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

JoeRE
500 Club

Has anyone used a mountain bike for stand access

Unread postby JoeRE » Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:04 am

I have a situation where I found a great spot, but the nearest place I can access with a vehicle is around 2 miles away based on the route I need to travel. There is a trail I think I can bike 1.5 miles +/- in. I am not a big bike rider (read: I haven't been on a bike in several years!) but it seems a relatively easy (flat) ride. It would be for mostly morning hunts so I would be biking in by headlamp on a logging road that is not well maintained meaning I need to keep an eye out for downed trees and stuff :? This is the only way I can hunt that location, its just too far for me to justify walking in.

Who has used a mountain bike like this and how did it work for you? What gear did you haul have to with you? Whats the best way to secure your bow - just rig up a sling and put it on your back? How did you stash your bike while you were hunting, just lock it to a tree or something? - it is public land.

Dewey

Re: Has anyone used a mountain bike for stand access

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:35 am

Check out this thread......

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=19622

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
MOBIGBUCKS

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:52 am

I used to use them a lot. You can get really far back if you have a good bike with many different gear selections.

Use an ATV bowholder on the handlebars and your good to go.
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:21 am

Thanks guys. Surprised I didn't see that other thread!

I am pretty sure I am going to try it but it is going to be interesting. I am in very good shape but there are a couple creek crossings too deep for rubber boots and I may need to wear hip waders for that. Can't imagine riding a bike with hip waders on will be easy, probably will have to take them off for the riding part :think:

I like those bow holders!
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:02 am

JoeRE wrote:Thanks guys. Surprised I didn't see that other thread!

I am pretty sure I am going to try it but it is going to be interesting. I am in very good shape but there are a couple creek crossings too deep for rubber boots and I may need to wear hip waders for that. Can't imagine riding a bike with hip waders on will be easy, probably will have to take them off for the riding part :think:

I ride my with hip boots quite a bit and it's really not that bad as long as you take your time. My uppers are neoprene so I can roll them down some if needed.

I would suggest doing a good amount of riding now to get your muscles conditioned because once the season starts you will sure be glad you did. Carrying all of my hunting gear with my bow on handlebars and stand/sticks on my back add a good 30-35 lbs which makes riding quite a bit harder than you think.
Brad

Unread postby Brad » Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:09 am

I have not yet but often thought of it. I wonder if you could get one of those kid trailers to haul the stand and sticks and maybe bow on? I've seen them pretty cheap on garage sales, they are bright colored but that's nothing a can of spray paint can't fix.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

[ Post made via Android ] Image
mike_mc
500 Club

Unread postby mike_mc » Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:35 am

JoeRE wrote:Thanks guys. Surprised I didn't see that other thread!

Maybe stick some garbage bags in your pocket to pull over your boots for the creek crossings.
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:19 am

mike_mc wrote:
Maybe stick some garbage bags in your pocket to pull over your boots for the creek crossings.

Good idea.

I am still waiting for someone to come out with ultra-light ultra-cheap hip waders, basically heavy-duty garbage bags but with a heavier sole that wouldn't puncture just walking on them. I think waders that you can roll up and stick in your pocket and are meant to be semi-disposable so if you got a hole in them you just thew them away would be just the ticket for short crossings like that.

In regard to practicing with the bike beforehand...yea that will be done. I remember the last time I got on a bike and rode for a while, it was a few years ago. I can go out and run 10 miles and feel heaps better than I did after that!
cbigbear
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/mobilehuntinggear/

Unread postby cbigbear » Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:27 am

The industrial garbage bags are thick enough to take some abuse.

Bikes work well in dry conditions, but leave it home after a rain. I know a few guys who tow their game carts behind them. Works as a gear hauler until you kill.
sandmanGW

Unread postby sandmanGW » Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:34 am

you'll need to keep in mind the temperatures when riding in. If you break a sweat going in, that's not going to help the hunting. And, when you're successful :dance: , how you going to get it out :think: ? Some one mentioned that kiddie trailer. Things that make you go Hhmmmmmm?
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:49 am

sandmanGW wrote:you'll need to keep in mind the temperatures when riding in. If you break a sweat going in, that's not going to help the hunting. And, when you're successful :dance: , how you going to get it out :think: ? Some one mentioned that kiddie trailer. Things that make you go Hhmmmmmm?

Welcome to the Beast Sandman... When I shoot a buck in a remote area it is usually left there and gotten out after I take all my equipment back and get my retrieval gear. Regardless of how I got back there.
phade
500 Club

Unread postby phade » Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:12 am

If you watch for sales coming up (such as Bass Pro)...they'll usually have a big pre-season sale. Many times they'll sell super cheap waders boots (the kind that go up to you upper thigh and have straps to attach to a belt) for $20 or so.

I usually buy a pair of them each year for random use, especially when scouting. But, I've also bought them with a purpose...a few places I used to hunt had such creeks way back. I actually left them there are the crossing (hidden of course) for the season. I got to the creek, tossed them on, and walked across.
http://www.pursuitoutdoors.com
Trail Camera Sales, Industry Updates, and Cam Troubleshooting - PM for HB pricing
MOBIGBUCKS

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:28 am

Kind of sounds crazy but I've actually used a mountain bike as a deer Cart...

It's not easy to do but the body cavity goes over the seat and the front hooves go over handlebars. A lot of rope and bungee cords later, you can essentially walk the deer out of the woods. I've never done this with any giants but it can be done in a pinch.
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:55 am

sandmanGW wrote:you'll need to keep in mind the temperatures when riding in. If you break a sweat going in, that's not going to help the hunting. And, when you're successful :dance: , how you going to get it out :think: ? Some one mentioned that kiddie trailer. Things that make you go Hhmmmmmm?

Good points. I am looking forward to dealing with getting a deer out of there should it occur. It won't be easy but I have quartered and packed out before further than that and I can gamecart it part of the way if I want to. It would all be relatively flat - hills are the bad news!

I am not going to shoot any ol deer back there though. There is a reason I will be going through this effort :D
May-39

PITA

Unread postby May-39 » Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:44 pm

Yes, but unless you have hard ground to ride and/or strong legs, and/or a fat tire bike, this quickly becomes a pain.

Buy a bow holder mounts for arv handlebars, works just as good on your bike bars.

But again I've done it both ways and prefer a good pack, hiking boots with rubber boots and outwear strapped to pack

canoe trailer for bike-seriously beast members, turn your canoe into a deer cart and/or tow your canoe and gear easily by hand or bike.
http://www.wicycle.com/canoe_woody_wago ... railer.php

Regarding hip boots, I darn near live out of them in the fall as I rarely hunt places accesible with just boots on..

hip boots-Pro Line Mod #711-add a thinsulate sole, suprisingly warm, tight ankle fit will last a long long time.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”