One season?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

phade
500 Club

One season?

Unread postby phade » Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:05 am

Sometimes hypothetical questions can be fun. Sometimes not.

This one, not so hypothetical in my world. Me and my hunting partner got prime access to arguably some of the best private ground in one of the top producing counties in the state. It is a "high rent" district with wealthy homes, but very rural. It backs up to a major park of sizeable acreage that has ZERO hunting allowed. Scouting earlier this year revealed big time sign. Hunting pressure is minimal in the area because of limited access and the park.

We knew up front that access here would be yearly...it is owned by a wealthy group and the potential for sale was there. We were told recently that this ground will be sold off shortly after this season closes. So, essentially, we have one year to burn some ground. We have other places to hunt, but this one is one of the two best parcels for mature buck potential throughout all phases of the hunting seasons this fall.

Does this change "your" plan in hunting it or hunting other parcels? Why or why not? Do you hunt it harder, lighter, or not at all?

http://www.pursuitoutdoors.com
Trail Camera Sales, Industry Updates, and Cam Troubleshooting - PM for HB pricing
fishlips
500 Club

Re: One season?

Unread postby fishlips » Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:30 am

I would hunt it like any other property. Hunting it more and you burn it out like any other property, and hunt it less and it sounds like you might miss out on an opportunity at a nice one.
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:59 am

Yea I do not think I would change my strategy much if at all. I'm always thinking about how my current hunt will affect "the next hunt" not "the next season."

I wouldn't burn the property out by over hunting just because I won't be there the following season. Just for me, not sure that would feel right.

Good question!
Dor
500 Club
Facebook: Chris Dornack

Unread postby Dor » Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:26 am

I'd hunt it more.

Call The Footed Shaft to order Kwik-Straps 507-288-7581 or order at the kwik-strap.com
Brad

Unread postby Brad » Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:08 pm

I would treat it the same, only thing I would possibly do different is maybe take a smaller buck (so long as it still met my standards) rather than letting it go another year hoping to let it get bigger for next year since there wont be a next year. Other than that I would treat it the same and enjoy it while it lasts.
rizzo999
500 Club

Unread postby rizzo999 » Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:04 pm

Dor wrote:I'd hunt it more.

Me too
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:25 pm

Is the park public? Can you have some guys (with no weapons) do some pushes towards the property late season?
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
phade
500 Club

Unread postby phade » Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:55 pm

PalmettoKid wrote:Is the park public? Can you have some guys (with no weapons) do some pushes towards the property late season?

The park is public, but there may be some legality issues with that as pushing (even without weapons) can be construed hunting in some cases. There's enough acreage directly touching the park that is open to us for hunting that pushing it would net some actions.

I see this as an opportunity to be more agressive than I typically am. Not much for public hunting within a short drive of me, so the hunting grounds I do have I must treat with kid gloves.
http://www.pursuitoutdoors.com
Trail Camera Sales, Industry Updates, and Cam Troubleshooting - PM for HB pricing
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:54 am

If I just had one year on some prime land I think I would up the pressure a bit but do it in a way to control the pressure. Maybe hunt hard for 2-3 days when there is good sign there then give it a rest for a couple of weeks. Or I might hit it hard early season and give it a good rest, then sprinkle in a hunt here and there but keep the pressure very low and hunt it hard during the rut.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:47 am

In my mind you always need to hunt your best spots. This being your last year I would hunt it with the idea of killing a good one. I would not just shoot a smaller buck because it's your last year. Keep your kill standards the same. I think you just need to hunt it smart and not over hunt it.

Hunting spots change hands all the time. I don't hunt any of the spots I started hunting in. I think this is normal. We don't like it, but that is way it is, seams like. Good luck.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”