Minerals And Tooth Wear

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

purebowhunting
500 Club

Minerals And Tooth Wear

Unread postby purebowhunting » Mon Jun 17, 2013 2:54 pm

In the thread about what age bucks begin to loose antler size dust from dirt roads were brought up relating to increased tooth wear. This brings to mind a buddies theory on minerals. He refuses to put minerals on the ground because of the intake of soil and potential for increased tooth wear or other tooth problems. At first I kind of blew it off but thinking of deer chewing their cud mixed with dirt has me questioning my mineral practices. Thinking of splitting hollow logs to reduce soil intake. Whats your thoughts?

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Indianahunter
500 Club

Re: Minerals And Tooth Wear

Unread postby Indianahunter » Mon Jun 17, 2013 4:31 pm

The short answer to your question is no, it is not a problem for you to continue to put minerals on the ground. There is much debate on soil ingestion by ruminants and particularly Whitetails and I could not possibly cover all the variable associated with potential risks or good practices in this post. This is what I do for a living and we dedicate a tremendous amount of resources to the study of this very topic. I hope this will be helpful to both you and your friend.

Using a log instead of direct soil application is no less and no more of a threat than direct soil application. The truth is there is soil ingestion occurring in everything they eat. the problems associated with soil ingestion are more directly related to herd densities and fecal concentration and consumption at the site. On the flip side there are beneficial microorganisms that deer get from the soil that aid in the digestive process particularly in rumen.

Deer are pretty picky browsers, if they are feeding near a dirt or gravel road they will not hit the heavy dust coated leaves as a preferred browse unless there is no other available food source.

As far as teeth wear, it is absolutely impossible to ascertain simply from soil ingestion the impact on tooth wear, unless your friend read a particular case study. This phenomenon has a tremendous amount of variables, soil acidity, animal specific chewing habits, available forage and a multitude of additional factors.

I am trying not to bore you to tears with a bunch of technical jargon, but if you want more information on the subject please feel free to pm me, I am happy to help 8-)
God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
Romans 5:8
MOBIGBUCKS

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:29 am

Indianahunter wrote:The short answer to your question is no, it is not a problem for you to continue to put minerals on the ground. There is much debate on soil ingestion by ruminants and particularly Whitetails and I could not possibly cover all the variable associated with potential risks or good practices in this post. This is what I do for a living and we dedicate a tremendous amount of resources to the study of this very topic. I hope this will be helpful to both you and your friend.

Using a log instead of direct soil application is no less and no more of a threat than direct soil application. The truth is there is soil ingestion occurring in everything they eat. the problems associated with soil ingestion are more directly related to herd densities and fecal concentration and consumption at the site. On the flip side there are beneficial microorganisms that deer get from the soil that aid in the digestive process particularly in rumen.

Deer are pretty picky browsers, if they are feeding near a dirt or gravel road they will not hit the heavy dust coated leaves as a preferred browse unless there is no other available food source.

As far as teeth wear, it is absolutely impossible to ascertain simply from soil ingestion the impact on tooth wear, unless your friend read a particular case study. This phenomenon has a tremendous amount of variables, soil acidity, animal specific chewing habits, available forage and a multitude of additional factors.

I am trying not to bore you to tears with a bunch of technical jargon, but if you want more information on the subject please feel free to pm me, I am happy to help 8-)

Good Info Indiana! What line of work are you in? Sounds awesome.
Indianahunter
500 Club

Unread postby Indianahunter » Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:55 am

MOBIGBUCKS - Thanks buddy. I would elaborate on my business but do not feel it would be appropriate out of respect for Dan and his competitive sponsors to plug my company in the forum. I do however have a second business that is non competitive with any sponsors as a composer if anyone wants custom music for any of their productions. 8-)
God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
Romans 5:8
MOBIGBUCKS

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:08 am

Indianahunter wrote:MOBIGBUCKS - Thanks buddy. I would elaborate on my business but do not feel it would be appropriate out of respect for Dan and his competitive sponsors to plug my company in the forum. I do however have a second business that is non competitive with any sponsors as a composer if anyone wants custom music for any of their productions. 8-)

Understandable man :D

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”