How much enjoyment are you getting out of hunting

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Uncle Lou

Re: How much enjoyment are you getting out of hunting

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:39 pm

Many BEASTs having fun good to hear, some great posts

Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:10 pm

I like the solitude... I like that success relies mostly on my own efforts/actions.... I like that whitetails are highly intelligent and when you think you got things figured out they make you eat humble pie.

For a few years now I have been hunting almost daily from Oct 25-Nov 20th.... my favorite time of the year. My wife and family know that is my time to recharge

[ Post made via Android ] Image
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:14 pm

I am having tons of fun. The most fun part of it for me lately is the learning part. I had so much fun scouting this spring finding sign and trying to make conclusions from it based off of advice and observations from others. And learning new hunting areas has been exciting, creating that mental map of the place and how all the sign works together.

I was truly plateauing in my enjoyment until I found this website and dan's videos. Since then I have been trying to share this site with others that I think are in the same boat. Its not that it is really tough to learn, it is just really tough to find the right teacher. I had the desire and willingness to learn, but I was looking in all the wrong places, tv shows, magazines etc.
“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
Bigdaddy-yoyo
500 Club

Unread postby Bigdaddy-yoyo » Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:32 pm

Uncle Lou wrote:Great read, I would also add swapping stories, tactics and knowledge on the BEAST has added a lot to my enjoyment in hunting. And clearly there is more than one way to enjoy hunting. The thing I get some of the most enjoyment out of is seeing new places. Love to hunt where I have never set foot before, whether it be Idaho or a spot in SE MI.

Another way I have enjoyed hunting is hunting with new people. I just had a blast turkey hunting with Bigdaddy a few weeks ago. Although we met at Pig Fest a few years ago, this was the first time we scheduled something since. Bigdaddy rolled in on his Harley with his recurve and we commenced to scaring a few birds as we chased'em around.

Check this pic out, wouldn't you all love to see a flamed helmet Harley rider with a recurve and some feather fletchings sticking out the back, tell me this dude doesn't enjoy hunting.

I love it.......love the scouting aspect and can't wait for the grand kids to get involved.
Love the people I have met thru hunting and this site........ Took up the recurve last year. LOVE IT :D :D :D

Uncle Lou it was fun!!! Thanks for having me out.......Lots of looks on the Road with my Bow and Arrows sticking out :lol:
rizzo999
500 Club

Unread postby rizzo999 » Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:34 am

Prior to having my first child (2005) I hunted so hard and often that I did not realize that I was burning out the properties/educating every deer on each of those properties where I was hunting and when. Since having kids and working a 60-70 hour/week job for 6 of those years I began to hunt "smarter" taking MORE consideration into wind direction, barometric pressure, rut phase, moon phase, etc... Since 2005, I have taken all of my top 10 grossing bucks of my 26 years of deer hunting on the many of the same properties and public land.

Prior to 2005 it seemed like I had a LOT of pressure to kill a decent buck and I began to think about getting out of deer hunting all together as my buddies seemed to have a much better duck hunting so I was going to get into that sport. Nowadays, I treasure every moment I am able to hunt for whitetails. This year should be even better. I quite my ridiculously stressful job and now have a job where I set my own hours treating patients (I am an occupational therapist..like physical therapy) in their own homes. I get to drive from home to home every day scouting for new possible hunting locations even though gaining access here in northern IL is like pulling teeth. So, this Fall if I notice that a buck I am after is moving more in the AM hours I will just start my patients later in the morning so I can hunt. Vice-versa if a buck I am after is moving more in the evening hours.

For the past 8 years I have become a born-again deer hunting enjoyer!!! Also, in those 8 years I have gotten 4 new gun deer hunter set-up to tag their first deer, with 3 of them tagging a decent buck. That has brought an enjoyment to me that I can't even explain. It seems like I am more excited after they get their first deer/buck than they are!!
Black Squirrel
500 Club

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:40 am

I still enjoy getting out huntng, scounting and setting up kill spots. However, the kill is just not as important as it used to be for me. I passed two bucks this year that, I would have put on the wall, and ended up eating tag soup. I went through the stages of kill as many as I can all the way up to holding out for a big one, but for me it's all about getting my son onto a deer with the bow. Last year was his first year with the bow and he missed a little buck, that he thought he hit. Man the excitement in his eyes and voice was worth more than any big buck could bring me. I enjoy helping others, I think that's why I took a part time job with Cabelas.
Maple_Ridge

Unread postby Maple_Ridge » Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:40 am

I dont post much but here goes.....

Friends FAMILY and MEMORIES! THAT is why i hunt.

We get almost as excited for road scouting in july, as we do hunting in october!

When I can think back, of the memories of specific hunts/bucks, and remember my families involvement or what they said, or how the story played out and who got the biggest laugh; thats why and what makes hunting worth doing.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
1 John 2:15 - read it
Countryboy95

Unread postby Countryboy95 » Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:49 pm

I don't get near as much enjoyment as I used to. I haven't had much success hunting, I don't spend enough time scouting and I can't shoot liked I used to. Kinda losing interest cause trapping is way more fun.
tim
500 Club

Unread postby tim » Sat Jun 22, 2013 2:49 am

I love hunting , ive had my moments throughout the years but learned that I wouldn't want to be chasing a less elusive animal. frustrating at times but not so much anymore. just seing a buck I got picks of and want to kill is awesome , sure I want to kill em but its not always gonna work out that way. ive always been kind of a loner in the woods, I hunt alone in bow season. my wife has finally realized that I need this hard earned time off in the fall for my sanity. she was always ok with it, but now she gets it I think. in gun season, what makes me happy is spending the time with my dad and hoping he can get some more good ones under his belt before he gets too old to keep hunting. from the shed hunts to the trail cams to the hunting , it all brings enjoyment to me. also owning my own piece of land makes me happy too.
keb
500 Club

Unread postby keb » Wed Jan 01, 2014 1:01 pm

I love it, the chase, trying to make something from nothing, stacking the odds in the animals favor, public land with trad bow and cedar arrows, if I'm gonna be beat that's how it's gong down, but most off all smelling the roses along the way.

Things that go with the hunt are just as important camped for about 3 weeks this year, not TVS, cell service, few people around that's was awesome.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
kenn1320
500 Club

Unread postby kenn1320 » Wed Jan 01, 2014 1:47 pm

I lived for hunting when I first started out. I was very successful shooting 1.5yr old bucks with my bow, enjoyed the compliments from people. It got to the point that if I drew my bow, I wasn't thinking about the shot and enjoying the moment, but rather thinking this deer is dead, how will I get him out. It became to much of a sure thing to kill with the bow. I shot a 98" buck and got so excited about that. It changed my thinking and the following year I shot another 1.5yr old and said that is the last buck I'll shoot under 100". That was in 2001 and I've only shot 1 buck since then and it scored 104". After I got that buck I realized it was a young deer and kinda regretted shooting it. I'm not sure if its lack of killing/seeing bucks over 100" or something else, but it's just not that fun for me anymore. I enjoy doing food plots, habitat work, scouting, knocking on doors, talking with landowners, shooting my bow year around, etc. Come fall I'm just not that motivated to hunt. I switched to shooting recurves/long bows thinking I would lower my buck standards and enjoy shooting young bucks again. However I find myself passing them, wanting a big buck.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
"Its about taking the right shot at the right time with good equipment." Dan Infalt

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”