How many different skill levels are there, big buck hunters?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: How many different skill levels are there, big buck hunt

Unread postby dan » Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:09 pm

Bucky wrote:I was born competitive.... I feel driven to succeed. I can't explain it, just part of my internal being. A certain someone when I was growing up would talk talk talk about being this and that..... it wasn't until I got to college at UW Madison that I realized no one cares what you say you can do.... they wanna see results! , I didn't even have a name there on my tests... I was 9013471371! That was my "name" on the 100s of tests I took. That is when I discovered it was much more fun to let your drive/work ethic speak for itself. I show a lot of pics but I do it to back up my observations or comments on what Im discussing. I personally dont care if someone thinks it is bragging or ego.... it doesn't matter to me. I compete against myself and I'm happy in my own skin. I like to set goals and see if I can get achieve them....

Palmetto gave a nice break down on different levels of hunters IMO. I agree with his summary.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

I found myself nodding in agreement with Bucky's post... There is nothing to be ashamed of, and no reason to hide your accomplishments. This is not meant to offend anyone, but it seems the people whom have not been able to get the job done to the degree of the people they are competeing with, are the ones that think those whom are doing better than them should not show there accomplishments...
If we were hunting for meat, we would not care about the racks and would simply toss them out. Acceot it or not, its a compitition of skill. We are out to prove we can do it... If no one ever sees your kills, why kill at all?
I say show it off, I like to see others accomplishments cause it drives me to work harder on my own. When I see someone hunting a certain area and killing big bucks, it tells me that I can do it too... Its possible.

Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:08 am

Bucky wrote:I was born competitive.... I feel driven to succeed. I can't explain it, just part of my internal being. A certain someone when I was growing up would talk talk talk about being this and that..... it wasn't until I got to college at UW Madison that I realized no one cares what you say you can do.... they wanna see results! , I didn't even have a name there on my tests... I was 9013471371! That was my "name" on the 100s of tests I took. That is when I discovered it was much more fun to let your drive/work ethic speak for itself. I show a lot of pics but I do it to back up my observations or comments on what Im discussing. I personally dont care if someone thinks it is bragging or ego.... it doesn't matter to me. I compete against myself and I'm happy in my own skin. I like to set goals and see if I can get achieve them....

Palmetto gave a nice break down on different levels of hunters IMO. I agree with his summary.

BUCKY - Do Not stop doing what your doing (not that you will) you are one of the true Beasts, and I'm sure I can speak for the rest of us here, that
I/we value your intellect highly!!!

I'm kind of competitive too and thought my analogy was pretty good too :mrgreen:
PK - is another valued Dude on the site!!! ;) ;)
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
oneflag

Unread postby oneflag » Fri Mar 28, 2014 2:35 am

Dan’s example about people in the workplace is perfect. You are never a pro Machinist you are a journeyman. Like most skilled trades you are an apprentice and someday you might become a journeyman. I know guys who are not a journeyman on paper but they are great at what they do. There might not be such a person as a, “pro” hunter.

The person I would consider a pro hunter I personally call a great outdoors-man. They guy that knows about everything in the woods, trees, birds all the details. If this guy sets his goal on killing a mature buck chances are he will. I said it before the best outdoors-man I know is an old trapper. He killed some monster bucks in my area and could have a trophy room full. He was just always too busy trapping!
kurt

Unread postby kurt » Fri Mar 28, 2014 3:13 pm

Good Analysis 9013471371 that's get to my point great hunters will have a hard time hiding it their results will speak for themselves. Their are several hunters on here when they talk I listen. Your one of them. :clap: Driven to succeed.
whitetailassasin

Unread postby whitetailassasin » Sat Mar 29, 2014 12:00 am

Listening to a lot of guys speak of the respect they have for other fellow Beast members. How would they know if not for there pictures and advice of previous experiences? It solidifies their knowledges and expertise. Good thread

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Southern Man
500 Club

Unread postby Southern Man » Sat Mar 29, 2014 12:19 am

Stanley wrote:
magicman54494 wrote:I believe they exist because humans have egos and feel the need to rank themselves because of it. It took me a while to understand why I really hunt and when I discovered the true nature it was no longer important to kill to impress or obtain a level or brag. When you reach that "level" you discover there are no levels.

An ego is merely your consciousness of your own identity. We all do that. You say you discovered the true nature of hunting. That is a level you have admittedly reached. You still hunt with a weapon to kill. You do not kill for sustenance, you kill why? If you don't kill a buck to hang on the wall, why do you kill the buck? You could take pictures and that would be another different level. Once you reach a level there is always another level to be reached.

Pretty profound statement Stanley. Great post.
You Can't Argue With A Sick Mind
Crazinamatese

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Sat Mar 29, 2014 2:38 am

In my honest opinion, Its all about pride. Pride breeds arrogance, and their is some of that going around on this site. I will probably get butchered for saying this...
The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!
whitetailassasin

Unread postby whitetailassasin » Sat Mar 29, 2014 2:45 am

Crazinamatese wrote:In my honest opinion, Its all about pride. Pride breeds arrogance, and their is some of that going around on this site. I will probably get butchered for saying this...

I think there is some truth to what you said, but be careful not to confuse arrogance with confidence. They walk a fine line hahaha.

Crazinamatese

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Sat Mar 29, 2014 3:03 am

Confidence is being completely okay and happy with who you are. If you are confident, you can see the difference in attitudes. The ones who are trying to gain acceptance, the ones who are competitive, the ones who climbed to the next level, and so on. People are so bent on trying to impress others. Is it in our nature? I havent killed a world record buck yet, but I feel Im at that level of the 'oldtimer' as described in Palmettokid's post earlier, minus the part about killing big bucks my entire life. I figured long ago if Im going to try to be accepted into a certain group, skill level, or clique, Im only gonna make a fool out of myself, or be scoffed at. Hmmm, maybe I lack in a little bit of confidence??? Or maybe there is just too much pride involved?
The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!
whitetailassasin

Unread postby whitetailassasin » Sat Mar 29, 2014 3:26 am

I don't feel like shooting only high scoring animals is criteria to be classified as a highly skilled hunter. Way too many factors to determine that. I feel some certain hunters have decided that they want to challenge there skill at taking a select group of animal. Such as a 3.5 year old or higher. Success rates are lower, sightings are fewer and your targeting a specific animal. The ones that do it year in and year out are at a level above to me. And like I said previously on level playing fields. I live in Michigan and its very hard to consistently kill mature bucks, but it is possible and it takes a lot of hard work. I have a box or basket racks full of 1.5 and 2.5 old bucks I've shot and I felt in my heart I wanted a bigger challenge. I've never hunted private, only public state land. It's difficult and challenging, but I love it. I made the choice to up my game. Maybe it shouldn't be so much as a level, maybe it's the challenge I seek to obtain. I like setting the bar high and accomplishing that. I don't consider myself the best hunter around. I have been blessed with an ability. I think the guys on this site are all awesome hunters. Each have great skills and to me the real "pros" exist here. The guys who truly do it with the everyday options all men have at there disposal. The information on this site is the holy grail.

whitetailassasin

Unread postby whitetailassasin » Sat Mar 29, 2014 3:33 am

Crazinamatese wrote:Confidence is being completely okay and happy with who you are. If you are confident, you can see the difference in attitudes. The ones who are trying to gain acceptance, the ones who are competitive, the ones who climbed to the next level, and so on. People are so bent on trying to impress others. Is it in our nature? I havent killed a world record buck yet, but I feel Im at that level of the 'oldtimer' as described in Palmettokid's post earlier, minus the part about killing big bucks my entire life. I figured long ago if Im going to try to be accepted into a certain group, skill level, or clique, Im only gonna make a fool out of myself, or be scoffed at. Hmmm, maybe I lack in a little bit of confidence??? Or maybe there is just too much pride involved?

Acceptance of our peers is a sign of gaining respect to me. We all joined this sight to be a "member" of the Beast, because it was a group of guys with tactics, styles, and hunters that have proven success. I am thankful for your comments and advice, I've read many posts of yours and look forward to many more.

Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Sat Mar 29, 2014 4:03 am

I like that analogy. I myself don't post up pictures to show any one up, or to be haughty. I like to quantify or back up what I say. If anyone thinks I am all about myself they have completely misjudged me. I do show off some of my accomplishments once in awhile. This should not be considered bad. We earn our achievements they are not handed to us. To me bragging is done by those that haven't done it, not by those that have done it.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Unread postby mheichelbech » Sat Mar 29, 2014 11:52 am

I have often thought about taking pics of the ones I've passed on simply to show guys that don't believe me...not that I care but I don't want them thinking I'm not telling the truth. I've killed one good p&y buck and will only shoot one I'm gonna mount. I kill because I enjoy looking at it on the wall and remembering the story behind it...and honestly there is some gratification in having people walk in to my house for the first and go wow! Nice buck! I enjoy talking about how I got it....I also enjoy hearing from others how they got theirs..

For me the quality or "rank" of a hunter has a lot to do with his or her personality. If it is someone who is accomplished but is clearly arrogant and looks down on other people who haven't been as successful, I would rank them very low. If another hunter has a lot of good experience but maybe not as many big bucks (which we al knows depends on where you hunt), but this person is humble and willing to show the less experienced how to be more successful, I would rank that person very high. Based on what I've seen with HB, I would rank all of you more experienced hunters very high!

"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Mar 29, 2014 12:51 pm

mheichelbech wrote:I have often thought about taking pics of the ones I've passed on simply to show guys that don't believe me...not that I care but I don't want them thinking I'm not telling the truth. I've killed one good p&y buck and will only shoot one I'm gonna mount. I kill because I enjoy looking at it on the wall and remembering the story behind it...and honestly there is some gratification in having people walk in to my house for the first and go wow! Nice buck! I enjoy talking about how I got it....I also enjoy hearing from others how they got theirs..

For me the quality or "rank" of a hunter has a lot to do with his or her personality. If it is someone who is accomplished but is clearly arrogant and looks down on other people who haven't been as successful, I would rank them very low. If another hunter has a lot of good experience but maybe not as many big bucks (which we al knows depends on where you hunt), but this person is humble and willing to show the less experienced how to be more successful, I would rank that person very high. Based on what I've seen with HB, I would rank all of you more experienced hunters very high!

Very well said! :clap:

oneflag

Unread postby oneflag » Sun Mar 30, 2014 1:25 am

I feel the skill level of a hunter is too difficult to put a label on. A trapper could be a "pro" based on the critters he caught and the money he made. Professionals get paid and money means added pressure to win. That’s why professional sports have cheaters. How could you ever be a pro big buck killer when the scoring system is flawed? Pro fishermen have organized tournaments plus fish weight and they check live wells before the tournament starts.

Hunting is a passion, art and a past time that puts meat on the table. Killing the dominant beast in a herd can show a higher skill level and deserves respect. At least some American Indians believed this.

Quote, whitetailasasin; The information on this site is the holy grail.

Quote, mheichelbech; For me the quality or "rank" of a hunter has a lot to do with his or her personality.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”