Donny Vincent - The River's Divide

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Knute78
500 Club

Re: Donny Vincent - The River's Divide

Unread postby Knute78 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:03 pm

Most of the above questions are answered in the features section if the DVD. They have a commentary where Donnie and the director talk about the scenes, how they filmed this, why they used various shots, and the position they found the deer in. The admit it looks staged but claim that is how the deer was found.

I had many of the same thoughts and questions as most of you. Most if not all the questions were directly answered in the commentary. I was impressed by this. I think it is an overlooked feature in the DVD. Essentially they talk over the film in great detail as you watch it. Well worth the time if you are truly interested.

On a side note the buck was huge. I think the DVD extras said it grossed in the 160s but netted in the low 130s. I was surprised by this! Amazing. I comment on this because I saw this in another thread about pope and young animals and gross and net scores.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

Genesis 27:3

"Now then, please take your gear, your quiver and your bow, and go out to the field and hunt game for me;"
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:15 am

Knute78 wrote:Most of the above questions are answered in the features section if the DVD. They have a commentary where Donnie and the director talk about the scenes, how they filmed this, why they used various shots, and the position they found the deer in. The admit it looks staged but claim that is how the deer was found.

I had many of the same thoughts and questions as most of you. Most if not all the questions were directly answered in the commentary. I was impressed by this. I think it is an overlooked feature in the DVD. Essentially they talk over the film in great detail as you watch it. Well worth the time if you are truly interested.

On a side note the buck was huge. I[glow=red]think the DVD extras said it grossed in the 160s but netted in the low 130s.[/glow]I was surprised by this! Amazing. I comment on this because I saw this in another thread about pope and young animals and gross and net scores.

I'd like to see the score sheet. I don't see 30+ inches of deductions in that rack! :think:
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Fri Jan 17, 2014 4:27 am

PredatorTC wrote:BTW, Its in the mail!

Sweet! This moved faster than I thought. Dave, you're up!
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Fri Jan 17, 2014 4:44 am

BassBoysLLP wrote:
PredatorTC wrote:BTW, Its in the mail!

Sweet! This moved faster than I thought. Dave, you're up!

Awesome!! Thanks again!! 8-)

Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
Knute78
500 Club

Unread postby Knute78 » Fri Jan 17, 2014 6:33 am

BassBoysLLP wrote:
Knute78 wrote:Most of the above questions are answered in the features section if the DVD. They have a commentary where Donnie and the director talk about the scenes, how they filmed this, why they used various shots, and the position they found the deer in. The admit it looks staged but claim that is how the deer was found.

On a side note the buck was huge. I[glow=red]think the DVD extras said it grossed in the 160s but netted in the low 130s.[/glow]I was surprised by this! Amazing. I comment on this because I saw this in another thread about pope and young animals and gross and net scores.

I'd like to see the score sheet. I don't see 30+ inches of deductions in that rack! :think:

The deer from the DVD facts section...Steve gross score was just over 164" after. After the 60-day drying period he netted 139".

Of all the deer Donnie has shot Steve is the only deer he has entered into P&Y books.

One of the shed was found from the year before. Based on that they estimated he would have scored the same the year before when he was first shot and survived.

Genesis 27:3

"Now then, please take your gear, your quiver and your bow, and go out to the field and hunt game for me;"
James
500 Club

Unread postby James » Thu Aug 14, 2014 2:49 pm

I recently discovered this hunt and film through the Donnie Vincent interview on WiredToHunt podcast. I immediately purchased the DVD and watched it tonight. Epically done! The entire story was told well with quality cinematography. I truly appreciate this type of film over the standard hunting video fair. In the fly fishing community this type of film is much more common and I look forward to more hunters telling their story like this, successful or not.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
dreaming bucks

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Mon Aug 18, 2014 12:55 pm

just received the dvd and watched, I thought it was a great video, very well done!

[ Post made via Android ] Image
bulldawgfan007

Unread postby bulldawgfan007 » Mon Aug 18, 2014 1:49 pm

I'm going to have to order this one for sure.
yungbuck
500 Club

Unread postby yungbuck » Mon Aug 18, 2014 2:40 pm

I bought it when it released and I have watched it a few times this winter and spring to scratch the hunting itch...great film and I truly hope more videos are made with this much professionalism and raw emotion of the story and why we hunt, and less of the music video kill fests I have seen on tv

nothing but a simple minded god fearing public land bow hunter
nthewild

Unread postby nthewild » Fri Aug 22, 2014 3:15 pm

I'm new to this forum, but can't recommend this movie enough. This is no homemade youtube video. It is an epic tale that takes you on the roller coaster ride that we call hunting. I love hunting stories that I can fully emmerse myself in the history and get completely lost in the chase for the animal. Very well done Donnie, very well done.
Terry
500 Club

Unread postby Terry » Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:02 pm

I watched it for the first time last night. The guy did a great job capturing the emotion that goes into hunting. My wife even liked it.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”