Bed Hunting

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Widerack
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/eric.leger.7

Bed Hunting

Unread postby Widerack » Sat Jun 15, 2013 6:56 am

This question is for Dan but anyone else can chime in that has firsthand experience doing it.

As y’all can tell by my post count, I’m new here and very new to the world of Buck Bed hunting. I live/hunt in Louisiana and NOONE that I know has ever hunted this style down here. Most of the land I hunt is relatively flat with minimal elevation changes. I’m quite sure it can be done with a lot of experience and time in the woods hunting just for that. So my question is for you bed hunters. Now that you have learned this style, DO YOU EXCLUSIVELY HUNT THE BUCK BED STYLE?

Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Re: Bed Hunting

Unread postby Stanley » Sat Jun 15, 2013 7:17 am

Great question. I don't hunt the buck bed style solely. I keep my options open and adjust accordingly to try hang one on the wall.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Sat Jun 15, 2013 7:59 am

I will answer no. Some of us are not that good at finding them.
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sat Jun 15, 2013 7:59 am

I do not exclusively hunt beds.... But deer bedding is always part of the equation...
If your hunting a food source and the nearest buck bed is a mile a way you don't have much of a chance... If your hunting during the rut and the funnel your sitting don't connect bedding areas on both sides you probably won't see much cruising thru... Bedding is always a factor, but no, I am not always right over a bed.
Black Squirrel
500 Club

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:00 am

I mix it up too, I don't have enough spots to strictly hunt beds, but bedding always factors into where I hunt.
fishlips
500 Club

Unread postby fishlips » Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:06 am

I think everyone has kind of touched on it that bedding is a huge piece of information, but that doesn't mean that every hunt is set up over a bed. I think what I get out of this style is that the most important thing is having as much information as possible about how a deer is using a particular area and then putting together a plan of how to hunt it and then ultimately executing the plan (or adjusting as necessary), and most of the time the plan revolves around where that deer is bedding.

More than anything though, this style of hunting is more about using the one advantage that we have over the deer, and that is that we are smarter than they are. They have us crushed on every other front, but we can figure out ways to manipulate the odds into our favor.
Widerack
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/eric.leger.7

Unread postby Widerack » Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:17 am

fishlips wrote:I think everyone has kind of touched on it that bedding is a huge piece of information, but that doesn't mean that every hunt is set up over a bed. I think what I get out of this style is that the most important thing is having as much information as possible about how a deer is using a particular area and then putting together a plan of how to hunt it and then ultimately executing the plan (or adjusting as necessary), and most of the time the plan revolves around where that deer is bedding.

More than anything though, this style of hunting is more about using the one advantage that we have over the deer, and that is that we are smarter than they are. They have us crushed on every other front, but we can figure out ways to manipulate the odds into our favor.

That is an awesome answer. As I've read over lots of you guys threads concerning beds, I realized that I have stumbled upon several over the years and never put it all together. Now with the help of yall and this site, maybe next time I run across one I will have the knowledge to set up on him and take him with this method.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Sat Jun 15, 2013 9:25 am

fishlips wrote:I think everyone has kind of touched on it that bedding is a huge piece of information, but that doesn't mean that every hunt is set up over a bed. I think what I get out of this style is that the most important thing is having as much information as possible about how a deer is using a particular area and then putting together a plan of how to hunt it and then ultimately executing the plan (or adjusting as necessary), and most of the time the plan revolves around where that deer is bedding.

:handgestures-thumbup:
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Mario
ProStaff

Unread postby Mario » Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:38 am

I would agree. Bedding areas are always a part of the equation but to me the beast style lends itself to more scouting, more knowledge of the land you are hunting, and being able to switch your set-up quickly based on conditions.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Sat Jun 15, 2013 2:07 pm

Pretty much what has already been said...

One thing is I find that there are more buck bedding areas than individual buck beds in the areas I hunt. Especially when you factor in hunt-ability, most of the individual beds are ridiculously hard to hunt. I find the buck bedding areas are usually not wind specific and the bucks will move around in them all day. This makes getting right up close with the right wind pretty easy.

I am almost always hunting over a bed/bedding area or in a funnel adjacent to a bedding area.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”