quartering deer in wisconsin

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
john1984

Re: quartering deer in wisconsin

Unread postby john1984 » Sat Oct 08, 2016 7:40 am

hunter_mike wrote:John, i contacted the dnr as well about this. The main point i got out of it is that you after you register the deer, you can cut the deer up into as many pieces as you want. So you could bone the wwhole thing out if you really wanted to. But you would still need to remove all the parts except entrails. Kind of silly. But at least you can cut it into more than the "5 parts" as stated in their rule. Keep in mind this is after you register it. I am thinking more like 8 parts to make it manageable. You could take out all your good meat in game bags, get it cooling down, and then return with garbage bags to clean up.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

I just got off the phone with a guy from the DNR named Jason Higgins and he just told me you CANNOT divide up the deer in more than 5 parts WHILE A FIELD even AFTER registration. He was reading the law to me over the phone. So obviously the DNR is contradicting themselves. You can call him or email him yourself. 920-410-9222

jason.higgins@wisconsin.gov

Mr. Higgins wants to know WHO from the DNR said you can divide up the deer into more than 5 parts AFTER registration. He read the law to me right over the phone and it said something like , "while afield, a person CANNOT divide up the deer into more than 5 parts prior to and AFTER registration.

idk what the truth is now lol

hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Sun Oct 09, 2016 2:25 am

John,

I contacted derek johnson again and told him about the answer you got from Mr. Higgins. For now i guess i am going to go with the more restrictive of the answers :(

The next question is whats the most efficient way to pack out a deer in 5 pieces?

“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Sun Oct 09, 2016 8:06 am

I'm not sure about the "5 part rule", but we have to take hide and bones out in MN too. Nothing left behind but guts. South Dakota you can leave whatever you want, even meat you deem too shot up or bloody to consume.

In MN they just passed a law that we can't come back from out of state with any brain matter or spinal column. Not a big deal if you cut the rack off but sure makes it tough if you want to do a European mount.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
spray97

Unread postby spray97 » Sun Oct 09, 2016 8:44 am

hunter_mike wrote:John,

I contacted derek johnson again and told him about the answer you got from Mr. Higgins. For now i guess i am going to go with the more restrictive of the answers :(

The next question is whats the most efficient way to pack out a deer in 5 pieces?

I carry two game bags one for rear quarters and one for front quarters and loins throw them in the pack and start the walk out then I guess if you have to go back for the carcass for a second trip out. If it is a small deer you can pack it all in one shot. The carcass I just toss in a contractors trash bag

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Sun Oct 09, 2016 9:12 am

john1984 wrote:Well I finally got some answers from the DNR to my questions. I guess it's true you are suppose to haul out the hide and bones.

Q: “Why is it legal to leave the guts in the field but not the hide and bones?”

Answer: The guts quickly decompose in a matter of days. The hide will take weeks, and the bones years. Over time, there’s a cumulative impact (bones littering the landscape) due to the hundreds of thousands of hunters killing so many deer every year.

Q-If a guy cuts up a deer in the field in 2 equal halves and takes 2 separate trips to remove it from the field, which half has to be tagged???

Answer-"The tag needs to be immediately validated upon kill, and you may attach the tag to the first piece you plan to remove from the field. You would tag the piece you are removing from the field first and leave the tag on the portion and then go back to get the second half. Keeping the tag on your person with two separate locations of abandoned carcass would not be permitted.".

I disagree with the DNR's reasoning. There ain't gonna be thousands upon thousands of hunters quartering deer in the field. Animals would eat and disperse the bones, and decomposition would take care of the rest over time preventing any substantial cumulative ness. Using the DNR's own reasoning bear bait logs aka bear bait stumps/hollow logs should be considered litter if you bring one in or make one on the public property, but most bear hunters do it. Oh well whatever.

Gotta agree the DNR is way out of whack on the bone and hide thing. I've gone back after leaving elk hide and bones in Montana. After 2 weeks if I hadn't known exactly where I had left things. I wouldn't have realized that the sort of bare area found. Was from an elk kill. Yes there are a few more predators/scavengers out there, but COME ON!!! Besides most times this will be done. Is only in hard to get to/out of areas. Areas most people will never get to.

Easiest way to do it in 5 parts is. Leave the hide on. Remove head with cape. Cut into 4 quarters. One trip with head and front quarters. Other with the 2 rear quarters.
john1984

Unread postby john1984 » Sun Oct 09, 2016 9:52 am

Yeah it sure is looking like you can't cut up into more than 5 even after registration. Here is an email from yet another DNR official.

For your reference, the following now applies both prior to AND after registration (per NR code). Cannot divide into more than five parts while afield, and must remove all parts but the entrails. We have advised to immediately validate and tag the animal, with ensuring the first piece of deer transported to the vehicle is the piece that bears the tag.

Matt O’Brien
Administrative Warden - Natural Resources Policy Officer
Bureau of Law Enforcement
Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources
Office Phone: (608) 264-9230
Bureau Fax: (608) 266-3696
matthewm.obrien@wisconsin.gov

Swampbuck

Unread postby Swampbuck » Sun Oct 09, 2016 11:07 am

The rules these people come up with are ridiculous. 5 part limit, pack the bones out lol

You can't even do it here so that's even dumber

Make It Happen
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sun Oct 09, 2016 2:28 pm

stash59 wrote:
john1984 wrote:Well I finally got some answers from the DNR to my questions. I guess it's true you are suppose to haul out the hide and bones.

Answer: The guts quickly decompose in a matter of days. The hide will take weeks, and the bones years. Over time, there’s a cumulative impact (bones littering the landscape) due to the hundreds of thousands of hunters killing so many deer every year.

Q-If a guy cuts up a deer in the field in 2 equal halves and takes 2 separate trips to remove it from the field, which half has to be tagged???

Answer-"The tag needs to be immediately validated upon kill, and you may attach the tag to the first piece you plan to remove from the field. You would tag the piece you are removing from the field first and leave the tag on the portion and then go back to get the second half. Keeping the tag on your person with two separate locations of abandoned carcass would not be permitted.".

I disagree with the DNR's reasoning. There ain't gonna be thousands upon thousands of hunters quartering deer in the field. Animals would eat and disperse the bones, and decomposition would take care of the rest over time preventing any substantial cumulative ness. Using the DNR's own reasoning bear bait logs aka bear bait stumps/hollow logs should be considered litter if you bring one in or make one on the public property, but most bear hunters do it. Oh well whatever.

Gotta agree the DNR is way out of whack on the bone and hide thing. I've gone back after leaving elk hide and bones in Montana. After 2 weeks if I hadn't known exactly where I had left things. I wouldn't have realized that the sort of bare area found. Was from an elk kill. Yes there are a few more predators/scavengers out there, but COME ON!!! Besides most times this will be done. Is only in hard to get to/out of areas. Areas most people will never get to.

[glow=red]Easiest way to do it in 5 parts is. Leave the hide on. Remove head with cape. Cut into 4 quarters. One trip with head and front quarters. Other with the 2 rear quarters.
[/glow]

Don't forget the rib cage and spine.
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Mon Oct 10, 2016 1:20 am

Dewey wrote:
stash59 wrote:

[glow=red]Easiest way to do it in 5 parts is. Leave the hide on. Remove head with cape. Cut into 4 quarters. One trip with head and front quarters. Other with the 2 rear quarters.
[/glow]

Don't forget the rib cage and spine.

I didn't, but guess I didn't make things clear enough. Out west the true front quarters include the rib cage/spine. They are light compared to the rear quarters but have more bulk. A saw is required to split them. It's easiest to peel back one of the loins a bit. Then just cut through each rib. Which means the spine is all left on one side of one quarter. You can cut down the center of the spine. But it's alot more work and requires a bigger saw!!!!

The only true advantage of Wisconsin's law is that you can make 2 trips to bring a deer out. Actually you could make 5. So I'd just split one in to front and back halves. Then just pull or cart one halve at a time. Not a real advantage though in the long run!!! Unless you have 4 trustworthy friends. So each of you could take 1 load a piece.
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Mon Oct 10, 2016 1:28 am

Dewey are Iowa's laws the same as Wisconsin's?
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Mon Oct 10, 2016 1:46 am

I'd consider paying a fine before I would ever pack out a rib cage, these stupid laws need to be put in check. All the bones I throw on my land are gone in a year, you might be able to dig up a few here and there but its not like they are causing problems.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Mon Oct 10, 2016 2:50 am

stash59 wrote:Dewey are Iowa's laws the same as Wisconsin's?

Basically same as WI.......everything but guts must come out. From what I understand there is no 5 pc rule though.
hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Tue Oct 11, 2016 5:36 am

My full email conversation with the DNR for anyone interested.

From: WIDNRCCASTORAGE@wisconsin.gov [mailto:WIDNRCCASTORAGE@wisconsin.gov]
Sent: Tuesday, September 27, 2016 11:31 AM
To: Gray, Rebecca L - DNR (Becca)
Subject: 304073808205367 : Quartering deer on State Hunting Land

After registering a deer by phone, would it be legal to quarter a deer using the "gutless method" of quartering? This method involves leaving the ribcage, spinal column and pelvis of the deer at the site of the kill and taking all meat out of the woods. I see that this method would clearly be illegal prior to registering the deer but the regulations are unclear about what is allowed after registering. In particular, I am unsure of the legality of leaving the bones on public land. Thank you!

Mike Murdaugh

Hello Mike,
Thank you for contacting us with your question. Below I have attached the rules for quartering your deer. This can be found in the 2016 deer regulations booklet on page 11. You may quarter your deer in the field but the only thing that may be left behind is the guts.
Quartering Your Deer
Prior to registration, deer must be kept intact, except for field dressing, skinning and quartering. Hunters may divide a deer into as many as five pieces to facilitate removal of the carcass from the field, but the head must remain attached to one of the five parts of the carcass. The hide and lower legs, if removed, do not count as one of the five parts. Only one deer that has been quartered may be stored or transported at a time prior to registration, but quartered deer can be transported with other intact deer. The lower legs up to the tarsus joint (ankle or hock) on the hind legs and up to the carpus joint (wrist or knee) on the front legs may also be removed. All parts of the deer, except the entrails, must be removed from the field.

If you have may other questions please feel free to contact us. Have a great day!

Thank you,
Rebecca G.

We are committed to service excellence.
Visit our survey at DNR customer survey to evaluate how I did.

Bureau of Customer and Outreach Services
Phone: 1-888-936-7463
Fax: 608-261-4380
CSWeb@wisconsin.gov

From: WIDNRCCASTORAGE@wisconsin.gov [mailto:WIDNRCCASTORAGE@wisconsin.gov]
Sent: Tuesday, September 27, 2016 12:04 PM
To: Jaworski, Brian R - DNR
Subject: 304073808205372 : Re: Quartering deer on State Hunting Land

Thank you. I am having a little trouble interpreting the rule. Is the following statement true?

- After registration, I can divide the deer into as many parts as I need to even if my physical location and the deer's physical location is on state land at the site of the kill as long as I remove all parts of the deer from the field except the entrails.

Thank you for your patience with my questions!

Sent: Tuesday, September 27, 2016 12:25 PM
To: WIDNRCCASTORAGE
Subject: RE: 304073808205372 : Re: Quartering deer on State Hunting Land

Good afternoon,

Thank you for your inquiry. I will forward your question to Derek Johnson, an assistant deer ecologist. They should be able to answer your question. Thank you.

Thank you,
Brian J

Visit our survey at DNR customer survey to evaluate how I did.

Bureau of Customer and Outreach Services
Phone: 1-888-936-7463
Fax: 608-261-4380
CSWeb@wisconsin.gov

Hello Mike,

Thank you for your question and you hit on something not many people ask or care about. After registering your deer you are allowed to divide the deer into as many parts as you want. Still, you can only leave the entrails behind on state land.

The quartering rule was made to make sure hunters were bringing in mostly intact carcasses to registration stations, but after registration there is no need for a mostly intact carcass.

Let me know if you have further questions. Have a great day.

Visit our survey at http://dnr.wi.gov/customersurvey to evaluate how I did.

Derek Johnson
Assistant Big Game Ecologist – Bureau of Wildlife Management
101 S. Webster Street WM/6
P.O. Box 7921
Madison, WI 53707-7921
Phone: (608) 264-6023
derekj.johnson@Wisconsin.gov

Derek,

A fellow hunter, John, that i talked to about this topic, recieved a different answer to this question than i did. Jason Higgins, possibly a game warden?, told John that he can't divide up the deer into more than 5 parts while in the field even after registration. Would you possibly be able to contact Mr. Higgins to get clarification on this?

920-410-9222

jason.higgins@wisconsin.gov

The main reason i am being so persistent on this is mainly because i do wish to quarter out my deer in certain instances when i am hunting alone in rough terrain 1+ miles from parking. I just want to make sure what i am doing is 100% legal.

Based on the answer you gave, i was planning to cut the deer into about 11 parts. 2 hind quarters, 2 backstraps, 2 front shoulders and 2 slabs of neck meat. I could get those 8 pieces into game bags and haul them out to get them cooling down. Then i would make a return trip with garbage bags and remove the other pieces besides the entrails. 1 rib cage, 1 hide, 1 head with cape attached, and the lower legs which do not count as parts according to the regulations.

I would have some follow up questions if i did need to go by what Mr. Higgins says. Such as, when are you no longer considered "in the field"? I would need to know that if I planned to process the deer on the same property I killed the deer on. For example, i kill a deer on my parents property and plan to process the deer in their backyard. Or, if I have a deer camp set up in a county forest such as the clark county forest and I intend to process the deer behind my camp site.

Thank you,

Mike Murdaugh

Hello Michael,

Thank you for bringing this back up, because we in Wildlife Management were given information from our policy warden that does fall into line with what Warden Higgins describes. Previously the interpretation of the quartering rule was that once the deer was registered a hunter could divide the carcass into as many pieces as desired, even to facilitate remove from “afield.”

Our warden staff must have made what the call a policy directive, which is how they will enforce the rule. Their directive is that until you have all of the carcass back to the vehicle you cannot quarter into more than 5 pieces. I’m very sorry for the confusion since we were both given incorrect answers. The written administrative rule, is copied here:

NR 10.106  Recording deer and bear.
(1)  Carcass condition and transportation. Deer and bear shall be intact and may not be removed from the area specified in this section unless the harvest has been reported in the manner required by the department and a registration tag has been affixed by the department or its agents, or the validated deer carcass tag displays the harvest registration verification number provided by the department and the number is legible and discernible on the tag except that:
(a) The entrails may be removed and disposed of while afield by field dressing.
(b) Deer and bear may be skinned, and the lower legs of a deer from the hooves up to the tarsus joint on the hind legs and from the hooves up to the carpus joint on the front legs may be removed. The hide and lower legs must be removed from the field along with the deer and exhibited at the time of registration when in-person registration is required, and disposed of in a manner in compliance with s. 287.81 (2), Stats., after the deer or bear is registered.
(c) A deer or bear may be divided into not more than 5 parts, not including the hide and the lower legs of a deer, only to facilitate removal from the field. The head and neck shall remain attached to one of the other parts of the animal, not including the hide. A person who divides a deer or bear while afield prior to or after registration:
1. May not allow the deer or bear to be stored or transported with any other deer or bear that has been divided prior to registration or while afield.
2. May not divide any bear in a manner that does not keep one part of the bear intact to allow it to be measured in a straight line from the tip of the nose to the base of the tail, to determine it was an adult bear of 42 inches or greater.
3. Must remove all parts from the field except the entrails and dispose of all parts not retained in a manner that is in compliance with s. 287.81 (2), Stats.
4. Shall exhibit all parts except the entrails at the time of registration when in-person registration is required by the department.
Note: Common terms for the tarsus or second major joint on the rear legs up from the hoof include "hock" and "ankle" and common terms for the carpus or second major joint on the front legs up from the hoof include "knee" and "wrist".

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but I’m glad we’re both on the right page with our law enforcement staff. Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Derek Johnson
Assistant Big Game Ecologist – Bureau of Wildlife Management
101 S. Webster Street WM/6
P.O. Box 7921
Madison, WI 53707-7921
Phone: (608) 264-6023
derekj.johnson@Wisconsin.gov

Sounds good, thank you.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Oct 11, 2016 5:41 am

Unreal. Apparently there is much confusion in the DNR. Guess it's going to be 5 pcs just to be safe. Sounds like another dumb rule we need to complain about and get changed. After it's registered why in the heck would it matter? :roll:

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Tue Oct 11, 2016 5:51 am

Based on the wording in their last email to me, some of the quartering methods mentioned earlier in this thread would be considered illegal. These are the 5 pieces I am going to be using for my "quartering":

1. Hind quarter, skinned down to tarsal
2. Hind quarter, skinned down to tarsal
3. Front shoulder, skinned down to knee
4. Front shoulder, skinned down to knee
5. Head, neck, ribcage, and all of the hide. All of those parts will need to be connected together yet. Will probably still need to drag all of this piece due to the size but at least you get to reduce the weight by maybe 30-50 lbs?

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”