im i wrong

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

john1984

Re: im i wrong

Unread postby john1984 » Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:37 am

Thats kinda stupid that they pick on you for shooting does. Tons of people shoot does. Even the hunting shows promote it now somewhat. Ya cant eat the antlers anyways.

MOBIGBUCKS

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:44 am

Keep doing what your doing. Hunt for yourself and do not care what others say.
gogebicbuckslayer

Unread postby gogebicbuckslayer » Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:25 am

Often times the hardest deer to kill in the woods is a big flathead matriarch doe with many hunting seasons under her belt. I see nothing wrong with what you are doing I shoot does as well and when I do connect on a mature doe its a great feeling of accomplishment! Not to mention mighty tasty table fair.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:02 pm

Now this is my kinda topic. I will support you as well, shootem and eatem.

I eat therefore I hunt, sounds like you to.
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
ozzz

Unread postby ozzz » Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:36 am

Does and wall hangers is the right way to do it.
If it bleeds, we can kill it . . . .
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:05 am

bowslinger wrote:all my friends pick on me becouse i rather shoot does than bucks if im bow hunting and only have my either sex tag i shoot first doe that gives me a chance and they pic on me they hold out for a buck i my self rather have the meat help with 4 kids and a wife thats 6 im feeding is that kind of thinking gone is the meat hunter dying out

Shoot whatever you want... But it seems weird that you "prefer" to shoot does over bucks... If you really are just looking to feed your family you get more meat from a buck usually, and what most people pay to hunt in gas, equipment, tags, and processing you would be better off buying beef.
Most of the time when I hear a guy say he would rather shoot does or little bucks, I take they mean that they really want to get a deer and don't plan on holding out... Not knocking you at all. Shoot whatever is legal and makes you happy.
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:54 am

Dan I agree that in general you can get more meat off a buck, and also agree that you can do better on a price per pound getting meat from the grocery. But me and many others love the thought of getting some organic meat from the field and some of those dang bucks you shoot, who wants to drag them out of the swamp. Those does, drag easier and really bring a smile to the table.

Shootem and eatem
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:39 am

Uncle Lou wrote:Dan I agree that in general you can get more meat off a buck, and also agree that you can do better on a price per pound getting meat from the grocery. But me and many others love the thought of getting some organic meat from the field and some of those dang bucks you shoot, who wants to drag them out of the swamp. Those does, drag easier and really bring a smile to the table.

Shootem and eatem

I like shooting does as much as the next guy... But be honest lou, a 14 pointer with double drops or a 90 pound doe? There standing side by side... Personally I can't taste the difference. I would have more energy to drag the buck as I floated on cloud nine... You REALLY passing that buck for the doe? You would prefer to shoot the doe?

Like I said, not knocking it, just hard to understand.
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:54 pm

Shoot whatever makes you happy! If hunting is not enjoyable why do it. Where do you hunt? Seems like most states are practically giving away doe tags. In most areas of Wisconsin you can shoot as many as you want (as long as you have tags).

Mario
ProStaff

Unread postby Mario » Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:27 pm

Shoot what you want, enjoy the hunt and being in the outdoors... For me its about the total experience

PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:51 pm

dan wrote:
Uncle Lou wrote:Dan I agree that in general you can get more meat off a buck, and also agree that you can do better on a price per pound getting meat from the grocery. But me and many others love the thought of getting some organic meat from the field and some of those dang bucks you shoot, who wants to drag them out of the swamp. Those does, drag easier and really bring a smile to the table.

Shootem and eatem

I like shooting does as much as the next guy... But be honest lou, a 14 pointer with double drops or a 90 pound doe? There standing side by side... Personally I can't taste the difference. I would have more energy to drag the buck as I floated on cloud nine... You REALLY passing that buck for the doe? You would prefer to shoot the doe?

I read a book when I was younger called '40 years in the everglades'. (great read BTW)The author talked about years ago they would see big bucks way back in the swamp and they would pass them to shoot a small buck so they could drag it out easily. My how times have changed.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Sat Jun 15, 2013 3:43 am

dan wrote:

Shootem and eatem

Since dan told me to be honest, I would probably shoot the bigger deer, and if I had a doe tag I would dump them both. Dan you remember the story of Patrick the Killer and me creeping up on a bedded buck and doe, I shot the doe and let him shoot the buck. And while I am being honest I really don't care about how hard they drag or how far. Hauled some animals bigger than deer long distances.
Swampbuck

Unread postby Swampbuck » Sat Jun 15, 2013 5:08 am

Uncle Lou i would let you shoot that doe and throw her over my back and run out that swamp with her just for a chance to get a glimpse of where that double drop tine 14pter was headed lol!!
Make It Happen

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”