Your take on UV dyes and hunting clothing...

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

WKPTodd
Facebook: Todd Pringnitz

Re: Your take on UV dyes and hunting clothing...

Unread postby WKPTodd » Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:07 am

IMO, I think they are selling a product they can't prove works - which is the scent-elimination industry (except Ozonic's) in a nut shell.

I wear predator camo to be bright and break-up my outline in a tree, from the perspective of a whitetail looking up at me, or in that general direction. I highly doubt we show up with a UV glow or whatever because we'd get busted far more (I only hunt 16-18 ft. off the ground).

If you are getting busted in a treestand, it's not because of UV; it's because of that blob camo on your back. he he....

Indianahunter
500 Club

Unread postby Indianahunter » Fri Jun 14, 2013 7:30 pm

Here is my take. The U.S. military will not use uniforms that contain UV brighteners because of the probability of being spotted by guard dogs. It is also assumed in our current understanding of deer vision that they can in fact see UV light. To the point of both Dan and Todd, I agree that deer are subjected to UV light by many natural sources and that there is no absolute evidence to it's effectiveness. That being said, the product you are referring to is manufactured by ATSKO and the Sports Wash product is all I use for my hunting clothing, simply because the product itself has low odor and is the most affordable product for cleaning your hunting clothing. So if it has the added advantage of not adding UV brighteners to your hunting clothing than that is just a bonus and certainly can't hurt.
God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
Romans 5:8
Southern Man
500 Club

Unread postby Southern Man » Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:58 pm

I use the sports wash also. It's cheap. I wash them in nothing else.

I also sprayed all my hunting clothes with the UV killer a couple years ago. When lookin at them under a black light some of them glowed :shock: I also use a lot of military BDU's and when checked, they didn't glow. But all the other camo I had, ASAT, Predator and walmart stuff did.

I don't know if it really makes a difference or whether a deer can see it that well but it doesn't hurt and wasn't that expensive. The brighteners they put in clothes does stand out tho.
You Can't Argue With A Sick Mind
tim
500 Club

Unread postby tim » Sat Jun 15, 2013 6:15 am

i say silly, another gimmick.......
gjs4
500 Club

Unread postby gjs4 » Sun Jun 16, 2013 1:06 am

WKPTodd wrote:IMO, I think they are selling a product they can't prove works - which is the scent-elimination industry (except Ozonic's) in a nut shell.

I wear predator camo to be bright and break-up my outline in a tree, from the perspective of a whitetail looking up at me, or in that general direction. I highly doubt we show up with a UV glow or whatever because we'd get busted far more (I only hunt 16-18 ft. off the ground).

If you are getting busted in a treestand, it's not because of UV; it's because of that blob camo on your back. he he....

Pretty sure Jeff's (GWW) stuff is UV treated or blocked; one of the reasons i love it

Compare something like GW to cheap Walmart camo and it is VERY apparent what a brightener does
Green and growing... Or red and rotting

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”