How Bucks Flee

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Apex

Re: How Bucks Flee

Unread postby Apex » Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:55 am

hunter_mike wrote:Both were hunkered down and I had actually already walked past them and had been closer to the actual buck, and I got into thicker brush before they jumped up. I definitely believe that they realize that the more brush that is in between you and them, the safer they are when making a get-away. Had I been hunting when I kicked up either of these bucks, I would not have been able to make a shot at all because the buck waited till I was in the thick before jumping, even though I was further away at that point in time than I had been moments earlier.

Well put! About 50% of the deer I've jumped in heavy cover flee after I cross their lateral plane and are somewhat past them. I assume these are older deer. I've also observed that the majority of those that flee once I pass them do it because I stopped walking. It's a belief of mine that when heading to my tree in the cover of darkness, I should maintain a steady, consistent, quiet pace. Seems like a lot times I would stop to take a compass bearing or check my gps, a deer would get up and flee. I think that, so long as they can hear you and you're not heading directly towards them, they're content just being able to keep tabs on you while you pass via your sounds walking. When you stop, they get nervous. Just my experience.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Last edited by Apex on Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:18 am, edited 2 times in total.

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:12 am

I have seen both pretty equally... I think every buck has his own level of fear or trust in his bedding. I have seen bucks that jump up and start running as guys get ready to do a drive 400 yards away, and I have seen where you walk past the same log jam 3 times and the 3rd time the buck jumps up... One thing is sure, if you stop and lock eyes with the ones that hold tight they come unglued.
When I hunt with a gun one of my favorite tactics is to go into known bedding areas very slowly and shoot them when they jump out of there beds. I will often stop and freeze and not make a sound after getting close on purpose to get them to jump. if that don't make them jump, the next step does. I plan that stop/start on purpose to put me in the best position for a shot when I stop or take the 1st step after stopping.
Black Squirrel
500 Club

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:57 am

i have jumped several bedded mature bucks, and most jumped after I "stopped", like others have said. One time I had walked past a buck bedded on the edge of the woods, to trim a diferent stand out. When I came back I stopped for some reason, and the buck jumped up and ran into the woods. Had I not stopped, I'm sure he would have left me pass by a second time, and I would have never known he was even there. Another time I was heading to a stand along a field road that boardered a narrow stream with about 100 feet of trees and brush. I stopped to adjust my gear and a mature buck jumped up and sprinted across an open field to the nearest area of larger cover. Agian, I beileve had I not stopped, he would have stayed put.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”