How Bucks Flee

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Apex

How Bucks Flee

Unread postby Apex » Fri May 31, 2013 3:37 pm

Great site everyone. How do bucks tend to flee beds? I'm just curious what everyone's thoughts are about what a buck is doing when we unknowingly scout during the season and approach his bed. I know he's setup to use wind and sight to his advantage. Do y'all think he's long gone without me even knowing I'm near his bed, or hunkered down waiting for me to pass? I see nice bucks regularly in transition areas where i hunt, but i can walk miles and miles and miles through every thick or thin terrain imaginable and never jump a good racked deer. Are they really that good at hiding or that good at escaping that i never see them and rarely hear them either while slipping miles and miles and miles? What's y'all's experiences here?

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

BWilk

Re: How Bucks Flee

Unread postby BWilk » Fri May 31, 2013 4:17 pm

I have often thought of this. Imo i feel that it's both. I feel that often times they give themselves such a good bedding area that allows them time to detect and react to most hunters before the hunter gets there. But, also, we always hear of mature bucks just hunkering down to allow them to pass. I believe it's situational. On high pressure public land, they may be better served to hunker down instead of run into more trouble elsewhere. Where as on less pressured land where they feel more comfortable they will slide out more readily. Just my opinion, and am eager to hear other views

hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Fri May 31, 2013 4:49 pm

Twice while I was scouting late this winter and early spring i kicked up bucks on public land and both behaved very similarly. Both were hunkered down and I had actually already walked past them and had been closer to the actual buck, and I got into thicker brush before they jumped up. I definitely believe that they realize that the more brush that is in between you and them, the safer they are when making a get-away. Had I been hunting when I kicked up either of these bucks, I would not have been able to make a shot at all because the buck waited till I was in the thick before jumping, even though I was further away at that point in time than I had been moments earlier.

I remember reading a lot on here about how bucks will very often bed so that they can watch their back-track for predators and that is consistent with how they bed with the wind at their back and maintaining visibility towards the the downwind side.
“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Fri May 31, 2013 5:32 pm

I have literally walked within 10 yards of bedded bucks before they bust out of their hide. A buck will exit his bed when his nerves give out. A lot of times his best means of survival is to stay put. I would bet big money that most guys have walked right past bedded bucks and never knew it. I also have seen them exit long before the hunter is close. Great topic.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Fri May 31, 2013 11:40 pm

I have had bucks explode within 10-20 yards (half the time in thick stuff) using the element of surprise to confuse it's prey.
I believe they watch the reactions of it's prey and decide accordingly...

I bet hunters walk past more bedded bucks/deer than imaginable!!!
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Sat Jun 01, 2013 1:01 am

Edcyclopedia wrote:I have had bucks explode within 10-20 yards (half the time in thick stuff) using the element of surprise to confuse it's prey.

X2

[ Post made via Android ] Image
MOBIGBUCKS

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Sat Jun 01, 2013 1:29 am

I think the younger bucks tend to get a bit more edgy and bust out of there once danger is sensed. I have noticed the biggest bucks are much more patient and will often times wait and see if you pass on by...
Apex

Unread postby Apex » Sat Jun 01, 2013 1:34 am

I've only jumped one mature buck that I got a solid visual on in Louisiana. He was bedded against a cypress tree on the south shore of a lake. The winds were south that day with scents blowing over him and out into the lake. When I paddled up to the shore where I had a loc on hung, he stood up 15 feet from me and sleeked away barely making a sound. It was amazing how quickly he vanished before I could get off a shot. Clearly, he never anticipated danger approaching from the lake like that. I hunted him hard after that, but he never returned to that bed. 4 days later, he was killed 350 yards away. 154"

Stanley
Honorary Moderator

Unread postby Stanley » Sat Jun 01, 2013 4:53 am

MOBIGBUCKS wrote:I think the younger bucks tend to get a bit more edgy and bust out of there once danger is sensed. I have noticed the biggest bucks are much more patient and will often times wait and see if you pass on by...

Good post.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator

Unread postby Stanley » Sat Jun 01, 2013 6:56 am

Edcyclopedia wrote:I have had bucks explode within 10-20 yards (half the time in thick stuff) using the element of surprise to confuse it's prey.

Yes indeed.
bblefty

Unread postby bblefty » Sun Jun 02, 2013 3:40 am

When I'm approaching a known bedding area, I almost always can feel it when I'm about to bump them out and then I hear them take off. For example last week, the thickest bedding area is on the end point of a property and all I knew was there had to be some beds in there. As soon as I entered the 3 acre piece of thick timber I heard him get up and go. I really want to think how all this may impact me come october.
Mario
ProStaff

Unread postby Mario » Sun Jun 02, 2013 4:09 am

Stanley wrote:I have literally walked within 10 yards of bedded bucks before they bust out of their hide. A buck will exit his bed when his nerves give out. A lot of times his best means of survival is to stay put. I would bet big money that most guys have walked right past bedded bucks and never knew it. I also have seen them exit long before the hunter is close. Great topic.

My experience is in line with Stanely. I have seen them hang tight in most cases until you are right on top of them. I also think they utilize what they see and smell to slip out before you get near them if the cover they are in is less than favorable

[ Post made via Android ] Image
hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Sun Jun 02, 2013 4:26 am

bblefty wrote:When I'm approaching a known bedding area, I almost always can feel it when I'm about to bump them out and then I hear them take off. For example last week, the thickest bedding area is on the end point of a property and all I knew was there had to be some beds in there. As soon as I entered the 3 acre piece of thick timber I heard him get up and go. I really want to think how all this may impact me come october.

Do you think he saw you enter, smelled you enter or hear you enter first?
“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
gjs4
500 Club

Unread postby gjs4 » Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:03 am

I think it depends on their levle of comfort with getting out alive- if they have you down and know theyre safe they will proceed windward or into their escape den...if you suprise them i feel they stick it out as long as possible and unless they feel youre onto them they will watch you past

I am sure the comment above abotu walking by deer is an understatement.....I always dreamed of how many deer would be around with thermal vision.....i have had track show me i am a fool a few times :)
Green and growing... Or red and rotting
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:14 am

Most of the biggest bucks I have jumped have either busted when I about stepped on them, sometimes for a second or third time(walking circles looking for beds, sheds, pushes, etc...) or I see them or see evidence that they slipped out as soon as they were aware of my presence.

I agree that we have all probably walked right past more bucks than we will ever know.

After learning about finding buck beds I found many overlooking accesses I have used for years...
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”