Down Time?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Maple_Ridge

Re: Down Time?

Unread postby Maple_Ridge » Sat Jun 01, 2013 3:36 pm

phade wrote:I am making deposits into the "honey do" bank account. Building a garden bed at the moment.

It helps when I make hunting withdrawals come fall.

June and July are really the slowest point of the year for my deer hunting. I do try to reach out to a few landowners for permissions, etc. But in large, it's family time, and time to get stuff done that won't during hunting season.

Yep......same here. Been swamped with new house and property projects. Working hard now.....cause by labor day, i will be slowing down. Glassing has not stopped. Just gets to be a normal nightly occurance by late july.

Good grief i hope i get most projects done by August. Its camping month also.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

1 John 2:15 - read it
UntouchableNess
500 Club

Unread postby UntouchableNess » Sat Jun 01, 2013 4:01 pm

Stanley wrote:The gnats are horrific this year.

As if a terrible tick season wasn't bad enough, now it is the plague of the gnats. The minute a person steps outside they are bouncing off your head by the hundreds.

Glad most of my must do outdoor work is done for now so I can wait out the gnat season. Trailcams and other forms of scouting can be done later.
Mario
ProStaff

Unread postby Mario » Sun Jun 02, 2013 2:36 am

Shoot the bow.. Get in some more scouting.. Might try some summer sits with my climber and do some filming. Review maps of the areas I hunt... Camping and canoeing :)

PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:25 am

Shooting, scouting, lots of aerials and shooting the crap on forums...

Bow season is right around the corner... some areas near me open in August. If I traveled south some open in July...
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
Timmy

Unread postby Timmy » Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:15 pm

Jackson Marsh wrote:
I still need to double check my stands and am planning on adding stealth strips to my quiver, I hate it when I am walking through brush and the sticks/brush "click" against my plastic quiver.

Good idea! I think I'll be doing that as well
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Mon Jun 03, 2013 2:08 pm

I just got back from Northern Minnesota where I did a little scouting for bears... Back home, I still have to finish up some scouting, I have to cut some shooting lanes and set up a couple stands also, and I still have a couple people asking about me scouting there properties... Around the last week of June I will start glassing and shining and will still make the occasional dive into a new piece to scout by foot.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Mon Jun 03, 2013 2:24 pm

The summer down time usually finds me fishing, golfing, some glassing and cyber scouting. As mentioned above I also like to make sure I get all my summer projects done early as to not interfere with deer season.
scooters

Unread postby scooters » Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:42 pm

Set trail cameras shoot the bow, work on food plots and scout and glass. I do set a few stands on our farm near some beds that I scouted.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
fishlips
500 Club

Unread postby fishlips » Tue Jun 04, 2013 4:58 am

when do you guys normally start to leave the beds alone? I hunt in Wisconsin, so the season starts mid September. There are still a couple of spots that I want to dive into.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:19 am

fishlips wrote:when do you guys normally start to leave the beds alone? I hunt in Wisconsin, so the season starts mid September. There are still a couple of spots that I want to dive into.

I would dive in now.
fishlips
500 Club

Unread postby fishlips » Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:31 pm

It's going to be an exciting summer. Haven't shined since I was a kid, so it'll be fun to get out and see what is out there. Have one kind of sneaky spot I found that I have dug into recently. The bedding area and spot is very small, but I made sure to cover all of it to get a feel for how the buck might use it. That is on top of a number of other spots I have added to my short list from last year. Probably have enough to hunt a different one each time out (not saying much, I just don't have a lot of time to hunt).

I think this will be the first season I have really felt somewhat prepared. Don't have much time for recreational stuff, so all of my time has been devoted to scouting for deer when I have had it (minus an hour and a half of turkey hunting, one hour of fishing, and brewing a few batches of beer).

Can't wait for the fall now. I feel like I am finally getting in the ball game. Good feeling consider I hunted for 15 years without ever knowing why I wasn't seeing any big bucks.
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:53 pm

My main deer hunting activity now is working crazy hours to stockpile comp time for the fall....I get 5-6 weeks of paid vacation time that way 8-)

I have basically all the places scouted that I want to so the rest of the summer will be spent flinging arrows at the target, running trail cams continually to get inventory of bucks that have made it through from last winter, and before the crops get very tall and while the dirt's soft I like to walk field edges trying to cut any familiar tracks.

That and of course daydreaming about October!!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”