How far??

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

MOBIGBUCKS

How far??

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Wed May 29, 2013 1:39 pm

Hey guys,

How far is everyone hunting from home??? I have great spots 45 minutes from home in several directions, but I have no time to get there working 8-430 M-F. I have some lesser spots closer to home that are maybe 15 minutes away that I may hunt a lot more this year after work. Just curious if you guys save your hunting for your "best" spots or do you get out and experiment during the week throughout bowseason.

Chris Conroy
500 Club

Re: How far??

Unread postby Chris Conroy » Wed May 29, 2013 1:46 pm

My best spots are 5 min - 10 min away from home, problem is that I work 35 miles from my house. Normal commute time is an hour. I am working on getting a few spots near work. Luckily I can leave work at 130 once a week if I see a good wind or weather pattern.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
MOBIGBUCKS

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Wed May 29, 2013 1:56 pm

Chris Conroy wrote:My best spots are 5 min - 10 min away from home, problem is that I work 35 miles from my house. Normal commute time is an hour. I am working on getting a few spots near work. Luckily I can leave work at 130 once a week if I see a good wind or weather pattern.

Exactly man. Getting off work and hunting close is the ticket. I've been trying to do this for awhile but it never panned out due to scheduling conflicts.
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Wed May 29, 2013 2:03 pm

Chris Conroy wrote:My best spots are 5 min - 10 min away from home, problem is that I work 35 miles from my house. Normal commute time is an hour. I am working on getting a few spots near work. Luckily I can leave work at 130 once a week if I see a good wind or weather pattern.

I know the feeling! The office is about 55 miles from my house and all the places I hunt are on the other side of my place from that. Its generally an hour and a half process from work to hunt :cry:

The good news is my schedule is pretty flexible. I can bug out early or come in late 2 or 3 times a week.
fishlips
500 Club

Unread postby fishlips » Wed May 29, 2013 2:15 pm

I have a number of public spots within 30 minutes of where I live. I have permission to hunt a few private pieces of land, but they are generally an hour or more away, so I don't hunt them very often at all.

For gun season I hunt about 4 hours from where I live. Love making the trip up there. Not a lot of deer, but man, definitely one of those places that got in my blood and it would be tough not to make that trip every year.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed May 29, 2013 8:16 pm

I have 3 categories... The best stuff, that usually is not close to home... The stuff within minutes of my house, and this year I got some property near my work ( 45 min. away from home)

So I can virtually hunt any day.
Haus86

Unread postby Haus86 » Thu May 30, 2013 12:23 am

I drive an hour to an hour and 15 minutes to my spots.
Redman232

Unread postby Redman232 » Thu May 30, 2013 12:28 am

I've got a 30 minute drive to work, so over the past few years I started getting permission on properties in all directions from my office, so if I'm in the field I can swing by places for evening hunts. I also have an Iphone app with all the public land in Indiana, so I will stop and check out places when I'm gone overnight. Gives me the opportunity to hunt new ground a lot which helps because all the parcels I hunt close to home are pretty small. I also have a flexible work schedule so if we've got a good weather pattern/wind/moon coming I can leave early or come in late.
DropTyne
500 Club

Unread postby DropTyne » Thu May 30, 2013 12:47 am

I am pretty fortunate, I have good quantity and quality public land near both my house and work. Having relocated just 2 years ago I am still working on figuring out which properties are the best ect. I still have some areas away from my house that I travel to, but the more and more I dig into the local area here I realize I may be driving further away for hunting that is not as good.
DROPTYNE

"Obsessed is a Word the Lazy Use to Describe the Dedicated"
Rutnstrut
500 Club

Unread postby Rutnstrut » Thu May 30, 2013 1:25 am

Our land is an hour and a half away, it's not so bad as we have our camper there and stay for a few days to a week each time. Even during the summer it's a family thing, we go down and camp and work in the woods. I also hunt some public/open land that's within 20 minutes of home.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu May 30, 2013 1:40 am

All of my best spots are within a half hour of home. Distance from work is irrelevant because I work second shift so I can only hunt weekends and during my vacation time.

I generally have a focussed plan for each day I hunt and don't experiment much on spots that I don't have some prior scouting done on. I am pretty much always hunting my best spot for each particular day depending on wind, weather conditions or time of the season.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
tim
500 Club

Unread postby tim » Thu May 30, 2013 3:51 am

I stay in Wisconsin but hunt 3 different counties. racine- 10 MIN DRIVE. Kenosha-30 MIN DRIVE, VERNON -4 hour drive. but once im in Vernon for my vacation I have multiple farms to choose from but usually focus on 3 or 4 mine included. some days I gget out of one stand and go straight to another farm for the rest of the day depending on wind/weather
bblefty

Unread postby bblefty » Thu May 30, 2013 4:15 am

School keeps me limited. If I could find a way to store my gun/bow off campus I'd be able to hunt during the week. If I'm lucky I make the drive back home (1.5 hours) and then I'm within 20-45 min of my best public and private spots all weekend. One of my biggest goals is to find a sustainable way to hunt around school.
MOBIGBUCKS

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Thu May 30, 2013 4:44 am

bblefty wrote:School keeps me limited. If I could find a way to store my gun/bow off campus I'd be able to hunt during the week. If I'm lucky I make the drive back home (1.5 hours) and then I'm within 20-45 min of my best public and private spots all weekend. One of my biggest goals is to find a sustainable way to hunt around school.

I sure wish I knew about Beast tactics when I was in college. Lots of public ground I definately didn't hunt enough or the right way ;)
phade
500 Club

Unread postby phade » Thu May 30, 2013 4:48 am

Rent a small storage locker. Had a few friends that did that in college.

I'm sort of in no-man's land for work this coming season. I'm prety much in the middle of where I have access, but it's 30-45 minutes either direction. Really puts me in a bind. Went on a massive effort last year to try to get even one spot to hunt around my work for afternoons...0 for 36.
http://www.pursuitoutdoors.com
Trail Camera Sales, Industry Updates, and Cam Troubleshooting - PM for HB pricing

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”