Teach me all you know about deer and the wind--

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Teach me all you know about deer and the wind--

Unread postby dan » Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:30 am

BuckyHunter13 wrote:
dan wrote:
3. When they are cruising for does do they circle bedding areas downwind? Do they walk into the wind?

Bigger bucks seem to either cruise down wind or cruise the side the does enter from and smell the trails going in and out... If you look close you will usually see a rub / scrape line where they cruise, and the[glow=red]rubs will be left right where the doe trails intersect with the buck trail[/glow].

Bumping this thread because it's a bunch of good information from what I've read so far. Would one method for locating buck trails be to walk doe trails (out of season) to locate rubs, and thus, buck trails. Doe trails are so much heavier and easier to see.

Could work, but you could also just walk around doe bedding areas and doe food sources and find the intersections.

NCmedic

Unread postby NCmedic » Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:05 pm

I have a question regarding wind and setting up according to the wind. Typically you'd want your wind blowing away from where you think the deer will be coming from but does anyone have success setting up when the wind is blowing your sent perpendicular to where the deer are? For example, if deer were coming from the north could you setup in an east or west wind and still have success? SeeSeems like they wouldn't reach your scent until they've passed you but is it a gamble?

[ Post made via Android ] Image
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:17 pm

NCmedic wrote:I have a question regarding wind and setting up according to the wind. Typically you'd want your wind blowing away from where you think the deer will be coming from but does anyone have success setting up when the wind is blowing your sent perpendicular to where the deer are? For example, if deer were coming from the north could you setup in an east or west wind and still have success? SeeSeems like they wouldn't reach your scent until they've passed you but is it a gamble?

Yea... we do that all the time. We call it hunting a "just off" wind.
NCmedic

Unread postby NCmedic » Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:30 pm

Thanks for clearing that up for me

Troutking

Unread postby Troutking » Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:47 pm

NCmedic wrote:I have a question regarding wind and setting up according to the wind. Typically you'd want your wind blowing away from where you think the deer will be coming from but does anyone have success setting up when the wind is blowing your sent perpendicular to where the deer are? For example, if deer were coming from the north could you setup in an east or west wind and still have success? SeeSeems like they wouldn't reach your scent until they've passed you but is it a gamble?

Hunting in hill country I set up with a perpendicular wind 90% of the time I hunt. I am usually hunting a ridge and use this tactic. The deer are bedded with the wind to their back so in order to get close I typically have to hunt this way. I shot a doe tonight on opening night with a perpendicular wind.
The less you have the more you got so don't you cry for more--Widespread Panic
NCmedic

Unread postby NCmedic » Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:50 pm

Are they bedding with the wind at their back and thermals coming up to them? Therefore you have to hunt perpendicular to the thermals/prevailing wind beside where they're bedding? Thanks for the example!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”