Is it possible to cover my tracks?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

wadegarrett

Re: Is it possible to cover my tracks?

Unread postby wadegarrett » Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:30 pm

IMO it’s all situational. So many factors.... deer’s mood/personality, time of year, location, ground conditions. Sometimes a deer will walk right over your scent trail without a flinch. Some will bust off the second they cross it and run to the next county.

Last year I was helping my father set up on a primary scrape on swamp edge on a low pressure public land piece. I made the mistake (or so I thought) of walking up to the primary scrape to take a closer look. My scent trail walked right over the deer trail that ran parallel to the swamp. Told my dad to shoot before any buck crosses my scent trail.

That night he shot a mid 140 mature buck that walked right over my scent trail without even flinching.

With that being said, I would always be conservative and play the game as if you are dealing with a spooky buck.

gjs4
500 Club

Unread postby gjs4 » Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:25 pm

It’s not bartylla that swears by elimatrax...

Nosejammer- laugh if you want but I’ve had some big wins with it. Keep your boots stores on rabbit or deer droppings. Goldenrod is also a good masking scent.

Those being said- nope- can’t beat their nose.

If it was just him- I wouldn’t care. I would also cross in an ideal shooting location and on a day with poor evening conditions. That’s just me though
Green and growing... Or red and rotting
jhpa

Unread postby jhpa » Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:29 am

Pick a spot where you don't cross the trail and hunt from the ground.
MN_DeerHunter
500 Club

Unread postby MN_DeerHunter » Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:35 am

Killemquietly

Unread postby Killemquietly » Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:12 am

Zap wrote:Try a mountain bike. :mrgreen:

marty

^^^^ This! the less time it takes you to traverse and less stuff touches you the less scent you leave. Bottom line. You may have to stash the bike well downwind of where you expect him to walk though.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”