Is it possible to cover my tracks?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Is it possible to cover my tracks?

Unread postby dan » Sun Jul 18, 2010 6:41 am

So I guess what I'm saying is there is no real way to keep your scent out of a deers nose, but there may be ways to keep them down to an exceptable level in places where they dont come completely unglued by picking them up.

I agree that less scent is better... But not much better.
Deer have 297 million olfactory receptors in the nose, plus a vomeronasal organ... YOU have 5 million olfactory receptors in the nose, and no vomeronasal organ...
I believe they can process the scent age by breakdown and know about how fresh it is.
Saying less scent will spook less seems like a false statement to me...
Wearing rubber boots and spraying your self with scent remover may reduce your scent to you... But to a deer that smells 100 million times better than you with a vomeronasal organ to break it down the minimized scent is still incredibly strong and reveals you were there...
Its equivalent to getting all out sprayed by a skunk at point blank range and then taking a wet rag and trying to wash the scent off you... When you get home, your wife is still going to smell it.
We are not talking about an animal that can smell "a little" better than us... We are talking about an animal that smells millions of times better.
You could take away a deers sight and hearing and it would survive. Take away his nose and he would perish. They rely on there nose more than there eyes, and ears combined.

UPbowhunter
Facebook: todd freeman

Unread postby UPbowhunter » Sun Jul 18, 2010 8:18 am

Dan, I understand all the scent talk, and I understand your point on it, and I even know somewhat about the organs of the deers nose. My point is I would rather try to do something, that I have seen work on certain days,(not every day) to cover or reduce my ground scent, then nothing at all. If I can bring it down to a level where it will disapate sooner than why not try in areas that cant take much pressure by there size. Laying out access points through, areas that arent known for deer movement to get to trails, stageing areas, and other deer traffic areas seems to be a sound approach to me, last year on this farm I made alot of noise and crossed alot of deer trails going in with the stand and sticks, everytime. I have been around your web sights for a long time Dan so I know your thoughts on scent and pixxy dust, You can go into your spots with the smell of cutting oil all over ya, I'm gettin there bud but I'm not there yet. Trying to have a scent program and going in clean is part of the taboo of being a bowhunter to me! I have relaxed alot over the last few years, but still strive for ground scent control. Not evertime but I have seen old horse head does walk right over my ground scent and get an arrow a few yards farther. I have a 5 1/2 yr old 152" 238lb dressed public land 8 pointer that followed a scent rag right to my stand and got double lunged and he stepped in every one of my steps for at least 80 yards. I guess every dog has their day, and some days anything can work.
Go Go Epic Stuff, Seek Wilderness
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Sun Jul 18, 2010 8:24 am

I think if that 8 pointer was that bent on following your drag rag, it really would not of mattered if you tried to control your scent. ;)
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Sun Jul 18, 2010 9:16 am

In this situation I'd find the tree, or trees, that I'd be hunting depending on the wind directions. I'd have subtle paths cut to each stand by the end of the month and I'd cut these paths during a rain storm or just before it's going to storm. Then when the time was right I'd do everything you're currently doing and hope for the best. You may not be able to eliminate all the scent but if you reduce it enough you may be in business.

If this funnel has just one main trail just don't walk on it, stay as far away from it as you can while entering/leaving the area. I have a similar situation and that's all I can do.

Coon urine is a great cover scent as is fox urine.
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
UPbowhunter

Unread postby UPbowhunter » Sun Jul 18, 2010 9:50 am

dan wrote:I think if that 8 pointer was that bent on following your drag rag, it really would not of mattered if you tried to control your scent. ;)
Youre right there Dan no doubt. He showed no alarming behavior when he was following the drag, if he caught any of my scent he didn't care! Kind of my point though there are times when a little human scent wont send them into the next county. If it worked on that 5 1/2 yr old public land guy there are times when scent control may help. Not worth it for everyone, and not a croch for hunting the wind and being patient on your spots, just may give you an extra hunt or two in a good location.
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Sun Jul 18, 2010 10:26 am

if he caught any of my scent he didn't care! Kind of my point though there are times when a little human scent wont send them into the next county.

Thats my point... They smell the scent, and its a lot to them regardless of amount. Each deer reacts different to smelling human scent. Its not the amount. Its the deers mood, age, experiences, etc.
I have stunk and had deer show no noticeable reaction, and I have been scrubbed clean and seen them freak...
One farm I used to hunt had a long dirt road with fields on one side that deer were feeding in and an old brushy pasture on the other. I kept seeing a big buck cross from the pasture right across my scent trail on the dirt road, as well as dog walkers, and other people who walked the dirt road.
Finally I took a look at the trail crossing the dirt road on my way to stand one day... I stepped off that dirt road only a few feet into the pasture. I saw the buck cross there again. This time he freaked out ran back where he came from and did not show up again.
They will tolerate some scent, in some places... That don't mean they don't smell it and know about when you where there.
I have also glassed deer in the same spot for several days then hunt there and have them come thru and show no reaction to scent. But the next day they don't show.
Im not saying it don't help you to try and control scent. Just saying it don't help much.
UPbowhunter

Unread postby UPbowhunter » Sun Jul 18, 2010 10:29 am

Good points Dan. I like debating things, we all learn things that way. Good thread.
PASwamper

Unread postby PASwamper » Mon Jul 19, 2010 4:20 am

Walk in so that you cross the deer trail in a way that you could shoot a deer on either side of your tracks. Or do as Dan says. I'm not a big fan of the scent killer sprays and what not but cleaning your boots to remove human or foreign odor works decent for me. I sometimes walk through mud and squish my boots around in it too. Not necessarily cow :lol: ;) , but just some mud for a little cover, might buy you an extra second or two.
lungbuster
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/WFTF

Unread postby lungbuster » Mon Jul 19, 2010 4:09 pm

Crossing thier trail where you can get a shot will be your best bet if you can't keep off the trail entirely, Scent control is only as good as keeping your scent totally away from the deers nose no matter how minute' the scent may or may not be........
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Mon Jul 19, 2010 4:32 pm

Break a branch off a tree, walk backwards and smooth out the ground. :mrgreen:

marty
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:40 pm

This question has always baffled me! From the outside it seems it should be possible and I believe there are certain conditions that make it possible. I wore chest waders for many of years, still wear them occasionally. And I would think I finally got it, then a long nosed doe would freak out and send me back to the drawing board. I think certain soils let a hunter get away with more, in dry sandy soil I don't recall ever get my track cut. In recent years I have came to a point where I just can't stand rubber boots. I don't know if it's cause there hot and uncomfortable or if it's the fact they cost pennies to make but sell for hundreds. But I mainly wear a hiking boot early season now and haven't noticed any spike in getting my track cut.

Just looked at the elimitrax system for the first time. Could one expect the same result with a cheap pair of Wally World rain pants and a pair of crocs with the top cut off bungeed to the bottom of your boot?
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
sdonx

Unread postby sdonx » Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:06 am

I say install a zipline across the deer trail :o :geek:
yungbuck
500 Club

Unread postby yungbuck » Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:31 am

I have been known to take a running start and jump over the trail... Can't prove it cuts scent down but I look silly doing it and I have a little fun haha!
nothing but a simple minded god fearing public land bow hunter
Findian
500 Club

Unread postby Findian » Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:17 am

I honestly think that 15 plus mph windy days blows your scent trail away compared to calm days.
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:03 am

dan wrote:No matter what you do your going to leave some scent and the deer that cross your path will know you were there. I do not believe you can eliminate or reduce your scent enough to make much of a difference. However, there are things you can do...
#1 don't over hunt the spot.
#2 get a portable stand so you don't have to hunt the straight tree in the middle of the funnel and set it back farther.
#3 use patience to wait for the right time to hunt the spot.
#4 Hunting just before, or during a rain gives you a free hunt by washing away your scent after you leave.

Dan is spot-on with his list. Also a really windy day would help.

When I first read your question, my first thought was...Just make sure you set-up so, he's crossing your scent trail AFTER your shot window. Then it won't matter as much.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”