How's my setup?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

admiral04

How's my setup?

Unread postby admiral04 » Sat May 25, 2013 8:14 am

I recently scouted an area I got permission to hunt and was able to find 2 beds that in my opinion may be primary beds. Both were loaded with hair and pounded to dirt and I assume they were used in the fall but im not sure. Couldnt find fresh tracks in or real close to either of them. Im goin to hunt the higher elevation bed on a west wind on an evening hunt. Lower bed on a west/ northwest/north wind. I assume he is leavin the beds and headin east toward the cropfields on other side of creek. Just looking for thoughts, tips on my setup. Image Image Image

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: How's my setup?

Unread postby dan » Sat May 25, 2013 12:17 pm

Are the beds the red dots, or blue?
admiral04

Unread postby admiral04 » Sat May 25, 2013 12:18 pm

dan wrote:Are the beds the red dots, or blue?

Beds are blue

dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Sat May 25, 2013 12:29 pm

Im goin to hunt the higher elevation bed on a west wind on an evening hunt.
The thermals will take your scent right up to that bed on an evening hunt.
admiral04

Unread postby admiral04 » Sat May 25, 2013 12:37 pm

dan wrote:
Im goin to hunt the higher elevation bed on a west wind on an evening hunt.
The thermals will take your scent right up to that bed on an evening hunt.

Shouldnt the thermals be rising more in The morning when the sun rises? So shod i hunt it in morning or jut setup more to the south so that im not directly below that bed?

Timmy

Unread postby Timmy » Sat May 25, 2013 4:12 pm

I dont hunt hill country and am pretty new at understanding thermals but I will take a stab at this. The thermals are rising in the morning when the sun rises, and I believe they are also rising in the afternoon until a certain time.. but Im not sure what that time is. Then the thermals will start falling, maybe when the sun starts getting low. I remember reading about someone on here that had a similar setup and they had to be careful about not getting in stand too early because of the rising thermals. They had to get in stand late so the thermals would be falling when they got in stand

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Timmy

Unread postby Timmy » Sat May 25, 2013 4:18 pm

When a buck gets up from his bed in a hill country setting, do they tend to follow the same line of elevation for some distance? Or do they just go straight for the food where ever that may be?

[ Post made via Android ] Image
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Sun May 26, 2013 1:05 am

Shouldnt the thermals be rising more in The morning when the sun rises?

Thermals rise when the sun is heating up the ground... Once the sun goes over the horizon the thermal;s will switch and current will flow down hill as the hill side cools...

I remember reading about someone on here that had a similar setup and they had to be careful about not getting in stand too early because of the rising thermals. They had to get in stand late so the thermals would be falling when they got in stand
That time frame might only be 20 minutes of legal light... But if the sun is blocked by a large hill it could be an hour or so...

o shod i hunt it in morning or jut setup more to the south so that im not directly below that bed?

Morning is an option... Are you following sign from the bed to the hunting spot? If so, I would hunt farther away so you get out of the area where your scent will rise up hill to the buck...

When a buck gets up from his bed in a hill country setting, do they tend to follow the same line of elevation for some distance? Or do they just go straight for the food where ever that may be?

They often do follow the same elevation line, but there is nothing they do "all the time" sign should dictate direction of travel.
admiral04

Unread postby admiral04 » Sun May 26, 2013 3:37 am

I was unable to find any sign in close relation to the bed other than a wore out trail heading down the hill. There werent any fresh tracks in it but you could see the trail had been heavily used. I didnt find any rubs in the area. Maybe it wasnt a buck bed but it showed all the signs, thermal tunnel, tree to back, heavily used and no other beds around it. I guess i was thinking thermals would be done rising by an evening hunt. I could setup on the other side of railroad tracks near the other bed but thats getting 200-300 yards a way and difficult to tell where his line of travel will be

dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Sun May 26, 2013 3:44 am

I would think about having it set up and ready, and waiting nearby and at the point of the thermal switch race in and hunt.
admiral04

Unread postby admiral04 » Sun May 26, 2013 5:05 am

Sounds like a plan. Thnx. How close is too close to try and get in at the end of summer with a camera to try and see whats using it? If i stay down below the railroad tracks i should be safe right?

dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Sun May 26, 2013 5:15 am

Your too close if the buck sees, smells, or hears you... I think your safe occasionally disturbing the area below the tracks, but I would keep it to a minimum.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”