Spooked!

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

DropTyne
500 Club

Spooked!

Unread postby DropTyne » Fri Jul 16, 2010 6:41 am

Well, I did it, screwed it up. Call me an idiot. However you want to put it. There is a field that you can't see from the road on one of the properties that I hunt that I wanted to put a camera on. I understand that generally you would want to put this up during the day or morning, but I don't really have that option. When I got back there all I watched was four really nice tall racks bounding away back into the woods. :cry: What kind of effect do you think this will have? Will they come back? Or is it over with?

DROPTYNE

"Obsessed is a Word the Lazy Use to Describe the Dedicated"
3dog

Re: Spooked!

Unread postby 3dog » Fri Jul 16, 2010 7:16 am

You got about 60 days till season, they'll be back. Sounds like you went in during a feeding time, I'd recommend when you go back make it the middle of the day and drive a truck or four wheeler in if possible.

Good luck!
Bob
Black Squirrel
500 Club

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Fri Jul 16, 2010 7:59 am

If you were driving in a vehicle, I think you are better off than if you were walking. Also, you didn't disturb them from their beds (I assume), so they will still feel secure there. Plus it's only mid July, they will have some time to settle down. I hope you didn't put the camera up, so you don't have to go back in there, you now know you have some nice bucks using that field. If you found beds near by, in spring you can assume they are using those bedding areas now. Note the conditions that had them feeding there, such as crop, wind direction, cloud cover, temp. etc. Then get out there the first time the conditions are like that during the season. That is, if the food source doesn't change much. Good luck!
tim
500 Club

Unread postby tim » Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:57 am

they will be back. on the bright side now you know there are 4 nice bucks there. the question is which will stay after the bachelor groups break up. i notice i will get pics of bachelor groups then by september when the velevet is off i know they wont all be bedding nearby , its always exciting to see which ones stick around
lungbuster
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/WFTF

Unread postby lungbuster » Fri Jul 16, 2010 11:29 am

Black Squirrel wrote:If you were driving in a vehicle, I think you are better off than if you were walking. Also, you didn't disturb them from their beds (I assume), so they will still feel secure there. Plus it's only mid July, they will have some time to settle down. I hope you didn't put the camera up, so you don't have to go back in there, you now know you have some nice bucks using that field. If you found beds near by, in spring you can assume they are using those bedding areas now. Note the conditions that had them feeding there, such as crop, wind direction, cloud cover, temp. etc. Then get out there the first time the conditions are like that during the season. That is, if the food source doesn't change much. Good luck!

x's2!
NatureBoy
500 Club

Unread postby NatureBoy » Sat Jul 17, 2010 6:07 am

Black Squirrel wrote:If you were driving in a vehicle, I think you are better off than if you were walking. Also, you didn't disturb them from their beds (I assume), so they will still feel secure there. Plus it's only mid July, they will have some time to settle down. I hope you didn't put the camera up, so you don't have to go back in there, you now know you have some nice bucks using that field. If you found beds near by, in spring you can assume they are using those bedding areas now. Note the conditions that had them feeding there, such as crop, wind direction, cloud cover, temp. etc. Then get out there the first time the conditions are like that during the season. That is, if the food source doesn't change much. Good luck!

x3. Excellent advice :!:
Scout, scout, scout, hunt
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Sun Jul 18, 2010 9:20 am

You're fine, don't sweat the bump in July.
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”