Cave bed...

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

PK_
500 Club

Re: Cave bed...

Unread postby PK_ » Wed May 22, 2013 2:24 am

That's pretty schnazzy.

Is he watching any particular access? Bed just seems so vulnerable, being in such an open area and such limited visibilty. Gun season you would be able to get well within range pretty easily it seems.

No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed May 22, 2013 2:43 am

PalmettoKid wrote:That's pretty schnazzy.

Is he watching any particular access? Bed just seems so vulnerable, being in such an open area and such limited visibilty. Gun season you would be able to get well within range pretty easily it seems.

Bed is facing the legal access foot/atv trail to several properties including the one the bed is on.
MOBIGBUCKS

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Wed May 22, 2013 8:03 am

Dan,

Early season bed or do you think he uses this bed at a different time of the season?
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Wed May 22, 2013 8:09 am

MOBIGBUCKS wrote:Dan,

You going after this one early in the year or do you think he uses this bed at a different time of the season?

This was on a clients land in Waupaca Wisconsin. So, I won't be going after it. The Booner buck that was photographed coming from the direction of this bed in daylight was caught on the cam in late august thru early september.
That buck was shot on the neighboring property. I recommended hitting it early, and trying some other times too, considering the bed is being used now also...
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Sat May 30, 2015 10:54 pm

Bump
Beauford

Unread postby Beauford » Sun May 31, 2015 12:42 am

I was hoping you found a Neanderthal bed / maybe big foots bed with the subject of a cave bed :D Why would a buck put himself in a bed with limited sources to help him out? Would this be a secondary bed?
rizzo999
500 Club

Unread postby rizzo999 » Sun May 31, 2015 1:39 am

Dan, in the 2 years since you posted the pic has the client been able to connect on a buck from this bed?

This past winter I bumped a half-rack buck from a smaller version of this scenario during a late season gun hunt. When I checked it out, it was obvious it had been used often as the snow from removed all they way down to dirt with plenty of hair inside. Wish I would have taken a pic with my cell phone, but that was the only time I walked up to the bed. A few months ago I set-up a tree about 75 yds away to hopefully intercept that buck or another that is using the bed.
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Sun May 31, 2015 1:52 am

rizzo999 wrote:Dan, in the 2 years since you posted the pic has the client been able to connect on a buck from this bed?

This past winter I bumped a half-rack buck from a smaller version of this scenario during a late season gun hunt. When I checked it out, it was obvious it had been used often as the snow from removed all they way down to dirt with plenty of hair inside. Wish I would have taken a pic with my cell phone, but that was the only time I walked up to the bed. A few months ago I set-up a tree about 75 yds away to hopefully intercept that buck or another that is using the bed.

This client has not been in contact since after I finished up my work there.
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Sun May 31, 2015 1:54 am

Beauford wrote:I was hoping you found a Neanderthal bed / maybe big foots bed with the subject of a cave bed :D Why would a buck put himself in a bed with limited sources to help him out? Would this be a secondary bed?

I think he thinks he can smell behind and hear approaching danger. Sometimes they leave a gap we can use to kill them, sometimes there beds are bullet proof... This one left a gap.
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Sun May 31, 2015 4:51 am

Had alot of these type of blow downs on the land I grew up hunting on. Don't know for sure about beds but did kick up a few deer of both sexes while near them.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”