The little things that make a difference.

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Crazinamatese

The little things that make a difference.

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Sat May 11, 2013 2:20 pm

I been wanting to know how some of you guys set up during a hunt. I know there are the "little things" that make alot of difference. Im beginning to fine tune my tactics ever since joining this site. I think I struggle with these little details during set-up and while in the stand. Here a few things I, and maybe others here would like to know what to improve on when it comes to setting up the stand and waiting for that oppurtunity to make a shot.

1. Do you place a stand facing toward the direction you know deer will approach from? Or on the opposite side of the tree?
2. Do you face a stand on the side the sun is shining on?
3. How high do you usually place a stand? Does situation and terrain dictate?
4. Do you hold your bow at the ready during the hunt on a stand, or use a screw-in or strap-on hanger to hold it for you?
5. If you hold your bow at the ready during the hunt, do you keep your release attached to the string?
6. Do you prefer to sit, or stand on your tree stand during a hunt?

Anyone else have anything I might have missed, please share.

The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!
Dewey

Re: The little things that make a difference.

Unread postby Dewey » Sat May 11, 2013 2:40 pm

1. Stand position depends on available cover. Less cover and I set up on the backside of the tree.

2. I try not to face directly into the sun. It can really affect your vision and will be very uncomfortable on warmer days.

3. I probably average 18-20 feet but have been having great hunts much lower lately and sometimes 5-6 feet just so I can see over brush.

4. I usually lay my bow across my lap when sitting or hold up right when standing especially during the last hour of an evening hunt.

5. During prime time bow is in my hand in vertical position and release is clipped on string ready for a shot. I like to rest my lower cam inside the top of my rubber boot or folded down hip boot for support.

6. I prefer to sit on stand since I tend to move around much less.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Sat May 11, 2013 2:51 pm

Dewey wrote:1. Stand position depends on available cover. Less cover and I set up on the backside of the tree.

2. I try not to face directly into the sun. It can really affect your vision and will be very uncomfortable on warmer days.

3. I probably average 18-20 feet but have been having great hunts much lower lately and sometimes 5-6 feet just so I can see over brush.

4. I usually lay my bow across my lap when sitting or hold up right when standing especially during the last hour of an evening hunt.

5. During prime time bow is in my hand in vertical position and release is clipped on string ready for a shot. I like to rest my lower cam inside the top of my rubber boot or folded down hip boot for support.

6. I prefer to sit on stand since I tend to move around much less.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

This is almost exactly what I do......at prime time I think it is VERY important to be ready to shoot...bow vertical, release attached, standing.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
UntouchableNess
500 Club

Unread postby UntouchableNess » Sat May 11, 2013 3:06 pm

1. Do you place a stand facing toward the direction you know deer will approach from? Or on the opposite side of the tree?

I hang the stand so that my idea of where the will be coming from is on my left (right handed).

Based more on travel and wind than sun, but would rather the sun not be shining on me if they are coming in with the sun at their back.

I usually use 4 LW sections and I have fairly long legs so I gap them pretty good. The tree usually determines the height more than the terrain.

4. Do you hold your bow at the ready during the hunt on a stand, or use a screw-in or strap-on hanger to hold it for you?

My bow is 99.9% of the time in my lap. I don't carry anything to hang it while in the stand.

5. If you hold your bow at the ready during the hunt, do you keep your release attached to the string?

Release gets attached as deer approaches most of the time.

Spend the majority of the time in stand sitting (developed pressure sores one season :shock: ). If I see a deer far enough out, I'll stand as they approach. Just as comfortable shooting sitting down, but it limits the shot opportunities slightly.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Sat May 11, 2013 4:45 pm

Great topic.

I never ever place a stand on the opposite side of the tree. It is of the utmost importance for me to see the deer long before he has a chance to spot me.

I like to have the sun to my back to gain an advantage of sight over the buck. Can't always do it but try to. It is a big advantage for me to have the sun in my favor.

My preferred height is 15-18 feet up. I usually pick my ambush where that is possible. I do hunt lower but seldom higher than that.

No my bow is always hung on a hook but very readily available at a seconds notice. I think the younger hunters could benefit from this as it give them something to think about (getting the bow ready) besides the buck it self. Comfort is the key to staying alert.

N/A

I always sit but do stand for the shot. There again "comfort is the key to staying alert."
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Crazinamatese

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Sat May 11, 2013 11:20 pm

Cool, Thanks for the input guys.
The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!
parkersdad

Unread postby parkersdad » Tue May 14, 2013 2:57 pm

I hunt wherever the cover is. Most of the time my bow is on a hook but in prime time it is in my lap. Also I only hunt from tree stands that I can shoot sitting down comfortably, Lone Wolf etc.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
Southern Man
500 Club

Unread postby Southern Man » Wed May 15, 2013 12:36 am

I never ever face my stand oppisite from where I expect the deer to come from. Sometimes it works out that way but I want to see him coming.

I like the sun to my back, not always possible but I avoid lookin directly into the sun.

I hunt stands from ground level to 30'. I like a high stand but will hunt low also, as long as I have cover, that's the main thing. If cover is a problem, I want to be high. Hunting the ground, I like a little elevation even if it's only a couple feet above the deer.

Never. Last thing I need are stressed arms when I'm ready to draw. Also that's one more thing to cause movement while sittin there. I carry a screw in tree step that I use to hold my bow and have it where it's comfortable to get to my bow while standing. I do have an arrow nocked and ready and my release on my wrist.

Only if I'm gettin ready to draw. I will attach it when I see deer coming just to be ready.

I like both. My first 10 years or so bowhunting, they didn't make stands with seats :mrgreen: So I kinda got used to standing and leaning against the tree. I still like to, especially in prime time. It seems easier to get ready for a shot if I'm standing. I'm not fond of shootin while I'm sitting.

A. If you use a pull rope, do you leave it hangin while hunting or do you put it away once in the stand?

A pull rope is nothing but a scent post. Think about it, you hands touch it about every couple feet or so. I pull mine up and stick it in a pocket. I know guys that are insane about scent control but will leave that pull rope hangin.

B. Do you text on stand? Or play games?

I'm guilty. I do text some but not much. I've never been busted doin it but have had deer on me that I should have seen coming. It has never cost me a shot....yet. Again, I know guys that can't seem to put their phone down while hunting. I'm not that bad.
You Can't Argue With A Sick Mind
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Wed May 15, 2013 2:17 am

Dewey nailed it for me, no sense typing it out again.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed May 15, 2013 4:24 am

I always face the direction I expect the deer to come from if possible. I try to have them pass by between 10 and 20 yards on my left. ( im right handed. )
I want to stare at the buck with bow ready and the moment a good shot is offered take it... Big bucks have a knack for detecting danger and will disappear as suddenly as they appeared. If they come from behind and detect you... There is nothing you can do. Facing him you still have a chance.

Try to keep the sun at my back blinding the deer rather than me, but thats not always possible.

In a perfect world I am about 18 feet up... But, stand height is based on cover, and wind current mainly. I could be any where from ground level up to about 25 feet.

Hang it on a limb, in a treestand attached bow holder, or just hold onto it.

No... not until I see a target animal.

I sit till I hear or see a target animal then I stand if possible.
BowtechHunting
500 Club
Facebook: Don't have one...

Unread postby BowtechHunting » Thu May 16, 2013 3:45 am

Crazinamatese wrote:I been wanting to know how some of you guys set up during a hunt. I know there are the "little things" that make alot of difference. Im beginning to fine tune my tactics ever since joining this site. I think I struggle with these little details during set-up and while in the stand. Here a few things I, and maybe others here would like to know what to improve on when it comes to setting up the stand and waiting for that oppurtunity to make a shot.

1. Oppo side of tree, back against the sun. I usually see them before they can see me.
2. See 1.
3. I sit about 8ft from the ground, but behind me it's about 25ft, at least in one spot. It drops on to a road bed.
4. Morning hunts, I hold on to it until 73Oish...Evening I hang it up till closer to sun down.
5. My release is on my wrist at all times...I've dropped them before and that sucks!
6. I sit the whole time so that I'm shooting across my body. I hate to stand up and shoot...
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Thu May 16, 2013 5:33 am

Crazinamatese wrote:

1. I try to have action in front of me so I don't get busted turning my head to see something. If I am in an exposed spot I will hang a stand on the opposite side of the tree but then I hunt by standing in it facing the tree. The key for me is avoiding being a swivelhead.

2. I don't set up based on sun but if I am in a stand and the sun is hitting me I am much more careful with my movements because I stand out more.

3. Height is purely a function of terrain/situation although I have gotten high enough in a small enough tree to be uncomfortable a couple times! It can be 8' or 30+'

4. I used to hold my bow all the time, now I rarely do and it has never cost me (yet). The only time I do is when it is raining or something where a deer could get right on top of me more easily without me seeing it.

5. I never clip on until I am preparing to draw.

6. I will sit down for maybe 10 minutes out of the hour to rest the legs.

When I think of 'little things" that make a big difference I also think of other stuff. #1 Slow down. That applies from the moment you hop out of the truck to when you get back in it. #2 Spent those hours on stand visualizing every way a buck might come in and how you will need to react. #3 Play the odds. If a stand site will be higher odds in 2 days for some reason, or next week, you should not go there now.
G3s
500 Club

Unread postby G3s » Thu May 16, 2013 11:02 am

I generally place the stand 90 degrees to the right of where I expect the shot to be taken so I can shoot sitting down.

I try not to put a stand in the direct west facing the sun. I will if that is what the sign is telling me to do but usually not a problem.

I would say my average stand height is 20 foot, although I do have stands that I can reach the platform from the ground

I use a screw in bow hanger but position the bow to be very easily accessible with little movement

If I am holding my bow the release is always attached and ready to draw

I prefer to sit, I like to shoot sitting down.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”