How do deer find white oak acorns?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

BigHunt

How do deer find white oak acorns?

Unread postby BigHunt » Sat May 11, 2013 10:00 am

how do you guys think deer find white acorn trees?? do they just know were they are? do they smell them out? can they hear them drop? i was thinking about this today at work!

HUNT LIKE A BEAST
Dewey

Re: How do deer find white oak acorns?

Unread postby Dewey » Sat May 11, 2013 10:12 am

I think they can smell them. Only explanation I can think of after watching them walk right over piles of red oaks to reach a single white oak tree.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Sat May 11, 2013 10:34 am

Dewey wrote:I think they can smell them. Only explanation I can think of after watching them walk right over piles of red oaks to reach a single white oak tree.

:think: ive also seen this too! they must be able to smell them
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sat May 11, 2013 10:36 am

I am sure they can smell them from a very long distance.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sat May 11, 2013 10:53 am

No different when they dig into deep snow to reach buried corn or winter wheat. I'm sure they smell it as well and know exactly what it is.

Kinda like stories I hear in Canada where honey burns can draw a bear in from miles away downwind.

Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Sat May 11, 2013 11:17 am

Last year I killed my Halloween buck on a white oak acorn pattern. I found where the turkeys were scratching for the acorns and ambushed the buck going to feed on White oak acorns. I hunted the same spot two days in a row which is something I rarely do. I passed a nice 9 pointer the first day.The next day the wind conditions were perfect so i hung the stand in the same tree I did the day before. On Halloween day the 10 pointer was in route to feed and I arrowed him.

I am very sure they can smell the acorns and they also hone in on turkeys and other animals feeding on the white oak acorns. They can also smell the fresh turkey scratchings from long distances.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Sat May 11, 2013 2:03 pm

Yes to all the above plus the noise they make dropping attracts all kinds of animals....

Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
Timmy

Unread postby Timmy » Sat May 11, 2013 5:51 pm

This is interesting.. I did not realize they prefer white oak acorns over red oak. Do they not eat red oak acorns?
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Sat May 11, 2013 6:08 pm

Timmy wrote:This is interesting.. I did not realize they prefer white oak acorns over red oak. Do they not eat red oak acorns?

They love Red oak acorns too! But given a choice they prefer white oak because they are less bitter tasting. We have huge stands of red oak with no white oak in my area and all the animals gobble them up!

Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
Crazinamatese

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Sat May 11, 2013 11:19 pm

Red Oaks are high in Tannic acid. Deer will still feed on them, but not in abundance.
The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!
Southern Man
500 Club

Unread postby Southern Man » Sun May 12, 2013 4:56 am

Public Land Beast wrote:
Timmy wrote:This is interesting.. I did not realize they prefer white oak acorns over red oak. Do they not eat red oak acorns?

They love Red oak acorns too! But given a choice they prefer white oak because they are less bitter tasting. We have huge stands of red oak with no white oak in my area and all the animals gobble them up!

We have White oak, Red Oak, Post oak. and Sawtooth oak. They seldom all drop at the same times. You can follow the deer feedin patterns around the woods by the types of oak trees. Pretty interesting really. All things bein equal, they go to White oaks first tho, every time.
You Can't Argue With A Sick Mind
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Sun May 12, 2013 5:49 am

From my experience they may feed a little bit on red oak acorns. Red oak acorns are smaller in size and much more bitter tasting. Everything loves white oak acorns, squirrels, turkeys, ground hogs, mice. So they are the first to be eaten up. Red oak acorns are much more abundant as the trees produce many more of them. If you can find a huge timber of red Oaks that is a great place to hunt late season. Deer will yard up close to large supplies of red oak acorns when other food sources have been eaten.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Southern Man
500 Club

Unread postby Southern Man » Sun May 12, 2013 8:21 am

Stanley wrote:

From my experience they may feed a little bit on red oak acorns. Red oak acorns are smaller in size and much more bitter tasting. Everything loves white oak acorns, squirrels, turkeys, ground hogs, mice. So they are the first to be eaten up. Red oak acorns are much more abundant as the trees produce many more of them. If you can find a huge timber of red Oaks that is a great place to hunt late season. Deer will yard up close to large supplies of red oak acorns when other food sources have been eaten.

X2 ........Red oaks are a prime when the White's are gone. Down here the Red oaks are the last to drop and that usually is just before rut.

By the same token, if you can find a huge old mature White oak, it will be a hot spot every other year in the early season.
You Can't Argue With A Sick Mind

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”