When bucks go " Over the Hill "

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

dreaming bucks

When bucks go " Over the Hill "

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Thu May 09, 2013 2:27 am

This article has been shared before here on the Beast, but if you haven't read it, it's a great read. Basically tells how a mature buck changes his behavior as he matures, and why they are so hard to kill.... It makes you wonder how we ever get one..

http://www.northamericanwhitetail.com/2 ... ll_102605/

Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Re: When bucks go " Over the Hill "

Unread postby Stanley » Thu May 09, 2013 2:49 am

Interesting read.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Brandon
500 Club

Unread postby Brandon » Thu May 09, 2013 3:09 am

yes I posted it a long time ago.. its one of my favorites that i "bookmark".

good post.
You can't kill em on the couch
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Fri May 10, 2013 1:48 am

It is a good read. I would have added to the discussion how many individual bucks become actually more predictable as they get over the hill. That doesn't mean they get easy to kill though obviously. They learn to stick with what has worked in the past for them.

From what I have seen, and have heard quite a few others also observe, many bucks are hardest to get on to at age 5 or so...then they become more pattern-able and sometimes more visible in daylight (not rutting behavior which I agree diminishes, but not as nocturnal in general) after that. They only become less tolerant of human intrusion though. If you only rut-hunt I think you are unlikely to find consistent success with old bucks no matter how many hours you spend out there.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Fri May 10, 2013 4:22 am

JoeRE wrote:It is a good read. I would have added to the discussion how many individual bucks become actually more predictable as they get over the hill. That doesn't mean they get easy to kill though obviously. They learn to stick with what has worked in the past for them.

From what I have seen, and have heard quite a few others also observe, many bucks are hardest to get on to at age 5 or so...then they become more pattern-able and sometimes more visible in daylight (not rutting behavior which I agree diminishes, but not as nocturnal in general) after that. They only become less tolerant of human intrusion though. If you only rut-hunt I think you are unlikely to find consistent success with old bucks no matter how many hours you spend out there.

X2... They move less in daylight, but once you find them they seem more predictable.
MOBIGBUCKS

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Fri May 10, 2013 6:14 am

Real good article. I like the long term studies he had that backed up his data.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”